#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Future ZL1 owner. Question about 1LE.

Hi,

I currently have the choice between a 2018 ZL1 or a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Both have been accepted by GM at my local dealer and I have absolute priority.

I would like the 1LE because it's rarer but it will be a car I will drive almost daily in the summer on the Canadian roads (sunny days).

1) I currently drive a 2016 Mustang GT with the PP. My first manual transmission car. I love driving manual with this kind of car and power.

I saw the threads about the engine bogging and the people that stalled their car. I am afraid a little bit.

I currently have 0 problems with the Mustang at a stop or at a red light. Never stall the engine and I never use gaz pedal with I use the clutch (slowly as I learned lol).

Should I be afraid of the eLSD and stalling my car at the stop/red light everytime if I drive it like I drive my Mustang?

2) The roads are not perfect in Canada. But where I live the highway and country roads are ok.

Is it bad for the car/DSSV if the roads are not perfect as in track perfect?

(Sorry if it's not clear enough. I come from french part of Canada)

Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Unless you plan on tracking the car
Get the ZL1
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
VADERZL1

I have been daily driving my ZL1 1LE including winter weather. The stock tires must come off immediately as they cannot be used in any amount of rain or cold temps. Other than that I love the tight handling, but would recommend you pass on the 1LE as I am considered crazy and do not want to be accused of spreading the madness.
VADERZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldunic View Post
Hi,

I currently have the choice between a 2018 ZL1 or a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Both have been accepted by GM at my local dealer and I have absolute priority.

I would like the 1LE because it's rarer but it will be a car I will drive almost daily in the summer on the Canadian roads (sunny days).

1) I currently drive a 2016 Mustang GT with the PP. My first manual transmission car. I love driving manual with this kind of car and power.

I saw the threads about the engine bogging and the people that stalled their car. I am afraid a little bit.

I currently have 0 problems with the Mustang at a stop or at a red light. Never stall the engine and I never use gaz pedal with I use the clutch (slowly as I learned lol).

Should I be afraid of the eLSD and stalling my car at the stop/red light everytime if I drive it like I drive my Mustang?

2) The roads are not perfect in Canada. But where I live the highway and country roads are ok.

Is it bad for the car/DSSV if the roads are not perfect as in track perfect?

(Sorry if it's not clear enough. I come from french part of Canada)

Kold, I have one in the garage, I may track it, maybe not. I wanted it for its looks, ability and low production #'s.

The ride is firm, not harsh and our roads blow, however this is very subjective (opinion on ride quality). I put a grand total of 39 miles on it and placed it on a car lift until winter ends and the salt disappears.

Pulling out in first gear is odd, it seems as if you have to always search for engagement, I'll get used to it though.

Can't wait until spring!
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERZL1 View Post
I have been daily driving my ZL1 1LE including winter weather. The stock tires must come off immediately as they cannot be used in any amount of rain or cold temps. Other than that I love the tight handling, but would recommend you pass on the 1LE as I am considered crazy and do not want to be accused of spreading the madness.
This is your only vehicle?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Koldunic

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R. View Post
Kold, I have one in the garage, I may track it, maybe not. I wanted it for its looks, ability and low production #'s.
[...]
Pulling out in first gear is odd, it seems as if you have to always search for engagement, I'll get used to it though.

Can't wait until spring!
I want it for the same reason.

With my Mustang, as soon as I reach the friction point (slowly) with the clutch, the car immediatly start to advance even if I am in a slope. The engine don't stall, not even close to it.

What do you mean by "as if you have to always search for engagement"?

I do plan to track it, but probably in a few years.

Any thoughs on the long-term effect of not perfect roads for the reliability of the car?

EDIT: I don't mind the firmness hard suspension. I had car with harsh suspension. But then again, I never tried one with the DSSV.

I am more afraid of the effect on the car.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:

With my Mustang, as soon as I reach the friction point (slowly) with the clutch, the car immediatly start to advance even if I am in a slope. The engine don't stall, not even close to it.

Any thoughs on the long-term effect of not perfect roads for the reliability of the car?

EDIT: I don't mind the firmness hard suspension. I had car with harsh suspension. But then again, I never tried one with the DSSV.

The DSSV will rattle you to pieces. If you are planning on daily driving it, you may regret the ZL1 1LE. It’s not really even that rare of a car. There are more ZL1 1LE’s where I live than ZL1’s. I guess lots of people making mistakes thinking “I’m getting the most expensive Camaro”. I just laugh because they’re gonna hate their car in under 40 temperatures or anytime it rains. In fact it was almost freezing yesterday where I live and my regular ZL1 almost ate a wall. Spring summer car with the tires it comes with.

The Camaro won’t stall unless you are horrible with a clutch. But you won’t be letting off the clutch without the gas pedal unless you are on a decline. It will start lugging with too little throttle even on flat surfaces. But it doesn’t bother me because I’m good with the clutch and I don’t drag race.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
djoker08
HTCC Member

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE HBM
I have had mine for 2 months now and I like the suspension, not to rough for me at all. There has only been one stretch of road that I thought that it sucked. A friend with a 17 ZL1 A10 rode with me and he said it was a little rougher than track mode on his.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:

See bold, the ZL1LE will not let you drive like that the Z/28 does
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Koldunic

Is it a transmission feature or is it linked to the eLSD?

I also drive a manual Corolla and while It took me longer it to get used to it I can drive it ok now. Soo easy to stall the Corolla.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
S.T.A.R.

This is the most peculiar clutch I've had to date, I seem to have to always have throttle input even on slight declines, I haven't found the sweet spot. I hate riding a clutch, so between this and the proper amount of input from my right foot I'm still not smooth. I'm 56 and this isn't my first rodeo with a manual. I have seen videos on Youtube where some, like me ride the clutch to get it going, I find this annoying as all hell when I do it. I'll work it out come spring.

I don't believe it'll be a smooth as your stang coming out in first.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
Koldunic

Thank you S.T.A.R.

In the best of worlds I should test it before. But I don't think my dealer will let me drive a manual Camaro in the snow/ice.

I'll make up my mind soon.

Thank you all. You are great!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
S.T.A.R.

Kold, I drove my car from the dealer straight to the detailer about 29 miles, 28 degrees wet to black ice conditions. White knuckled the steering wheel all the way in ice/snow mode, figuring it was the safest play. Those tires DO NOT like cold temps(below 50 degrees)!

I was so stoked to finally get to drive this car I had ordered back on July 7th (officially July 10th), turned out to be a miserable event.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #14
Koldunic

Ouch! I am glad you are ok! Must have been dangerous.

I can't wait for my ZL1! In Canada, they won't be delievered until may I heard. I should be ok then.

I hope you have a great summer with your car!