Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
[ANSWERED] Strut tower brace needed or helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by TLSTWIN
I see while trying to build a Camaro there is always an option to add a strut tower brace, but I have never seen any of the cars with them on it.

So how's does it fit under the hood, how does it attach, is it really necessary or is it helpful for us that are track rats?
Al's Answer:

The short answer is ‘no, you don’t need the Tower to Tower brace to improve ride, steering, or handling.’

When we designed the 6th Gen Camaro, one of the areas we focused on was going after a significant mass reduction while improving the body structure. The ‘Alpha’ architecture, which was the basis for the Cadillac CTS/ATS, provided this opportunity. Lighter weight materials, like Press-hardened Steel, High Strength-Low Alloy (HSLA), and Aluminum allowed us to have a structure that has 28% more body stiffness than the 5th Gen Camaro, yet weighs between 225 lb. – 390 lb. less than its predecessor (depending on the model). The shock towers, which are made of Aluminum, are 40% lighter than steel, yet 25% stiffer than those in the 5th Gen Camaro.

If you consider the modal analysis of the body structure, the shock towers move from side to side while driving through road input, which can be felt in both the steering wheel and the seat of your pants if the movement is not managed. By providing a stronger structure, especially in the areas where the loads are transferred directly to the customer touch points, we don’t need to add on the additional mass and cost of structural braces, such as the Tower to Tower brace. We did add what we call ‘rearward-facing V-braces’, which are smaller braces tied into the front of dash structure that are very effective, and this helps provide the quick, responsive steering you feel in your Camaro. From the suspension standpoint, the front strut mounts showcase a single path design that optimizes steering response and isolation, also contributing to the conclusion that we don’t need a Tower to Tower brace.

The one exception is the SS Convertible, which does have the brace. The road loads in the SS convertible, in addition to the additional forward mass of the car due to the heavier engine, required the additional structure. The bottom line with regard to the Tower to Tower brace on the other models, especially the 1LE’s, is that while it could most likely be proven by an engineer that there would be some improvement with On-center feel of the steering, the Camaro team felt that this very slight improvement was not worth penalizing the car for the additional mass. I will add that there is no harm in adding the brace to your car. By the way, due to the height of the engine, the brace will not work on the 2.0T or ZL1 Camaro.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Al's Answer:

The short answer is ‘no, you don’t need the Tower to Tower brace to improve ride, steering, or handling.’ When we designed the 6th Gen Camaro, one of the areas we focused on was going after a significant mass reduction while improving the body structure. The ‘Alpha’ architecture, which was the basis for the Cadillac CTS/ATS, provided this opportunity. Lighter weight materials, like Press-hardened Steel, High Strength-Low Alloy (HSLA), and Aluminum allowed us to have a structure that has 28% more body stiffness than the 5th Gen Camaro, yet weighs between 225 lb. – 390 lb. less than its predecessor (depending on the model). The shock towers, which are made of Aluminum, are 40% lighter than steel, yet 25% stiffer than those in the 5th Gen Camaro. If you consider the modal analysis of the body structure, the shock towers move from side to side while driving through road input, which can be felt in both the steering wheel and the seat of your pants if the movement is not managed. By providing a stronger structure, especially in the areas where the loads are transferred directly to the customer touch points, we don’t need to add on the additional mass and cost of structural braces, such as the Tower to Tower brace. We did add what we call ‘rearward-facing V-braces’, which are smaller braces tied into the front of dash structure that are very effective, and this helps provide the quick, responsive steering you feel in your Camaro. From the suspension standpoint, the front strut mounts showcase a single path design that optimizes steering response and isolation, also contributing to the conclusion that we don’t need a Tower to Tower brace.

The one exception is the SS Convertible, which does have the brace. The road loads in the SS convertible, in addition to the additional forward mass of the car due to the heavier engine, required the additional structure. The bottom line with regard to the Tower to Tower brace on the other models, especially the 1LE’s, is that while it could most likely be proven by an engineer that there would be some improvement with On-center feel of the steering, the Camaro team felt that this very slight improvement was not worth penalizing the car for the additional mass. I will add that there is no harm in adding the brace to your car. By the way, due to the height of the engine, the brace will not work on the 2.0T or ZL1 Camaro.
Hmmm.....needed for convertible SS....won't fit on the ZL1...

....but what about the Convertible ZL1s?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hmmm.....needed for convertible SS....won't fit on the ZL1...

....but what about the Convertible ZL1s?
I suspect we will never get a straight answer for that.
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Seems the other STB thread (where I first tried to post this) is closed.

I'm not too surprised at the answer - or that the Alpha actually has strut tower bracing, and that even though it doesn't jump out at you like a more conventional 2-point design it (they?) can still be very effective structurally.

Norm
Old 01-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Interesting,

It explains the rubbing the zl1 has on the hood with the bmr ones.

not gonna be ordering one in my case. If I ever quit buying other vehicles and going on cruises.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Thanks, Al!! Excellent detail as usual.

I, too, am interested in why the ZL1 convertible did not get one. Maybe the trade-offs for a common solution that also worked on a ZL1 (impact to hood design and aero) overshadowed the benefit.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Thanks, Al!! Excellent detail as usual.

I, too, am interested in why the ZL1 convertible did not get one. Maybe the trade-offs for a common solution that also worked on a ZL1 (impact to hood design and aero) overshadowed the benefit.
He states it won't fit on the ZL1 or 2.0T due to engine height.

Quote:
due to the height of the engine, the brace will not work on the 2.0T or ZL1 Camaro.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Very nicely detailed and straight to the point answer. Thanks, Al!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
He states it won't fit on the ZL1 or 2.0T due to engine height.
I know that, but why didn't they either redesign the brace or hood for it to fit, since he also mentioned it was deemed necessary on the SS convertible. I'm talking about early in the design phase, why didn't they make 1 brace that accommodates all configurations or design all the hoods to fit around the optimized brace?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
So where does this put the 2.0 model, the AutoX edition that was at sema in 2016?

They had a brace specifically made for the 2.0T

TGMPG actually had the part number listed for it as well.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-14-2018 at 03:15 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I just came here after watching a video by Carlos Lago on the ATSV. At 11m 45sec he said that Cadillac added the underbody aluminum shear panel (which SS-up Camaros have as well) not because it made the lap times quicker, but because it delivered more feedback from the front end to the driver. My first thought was that the strut brace would fall in this category as well.

WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
I find the explanation from Al quite helpful. If I understand well.
Quote:
1. ....we focused on was going after a significant mass reduction while improving the body structure.
Make sense.
Quote:
2. By providing a stronger structure, especially in the areas where the loads are transferred directly to the customer touch points, we don’t need to add on the additional mass and cost of structural braces, such as the Tower to Tower brace.
The point here is costs.
Quote:
3. We did add what we call ‘rearward-facing V-braces’, which are smaller braces tied into the front of dash structure that are very effective, and this helps provide the quick, responsive steering you feel in your Camaro.
And it is cheaper than the tower brace.
Quote:
...also contributing to the conclusion that we don’t need a Tower to Tower brace.
No need doesn’t mean not beneficial.

Quote:
4......while it could most likely be proven by an engineer that there would be some improvement with On-center feel of the steering, the Camaro team felt that this very slight improvement was not worth penalizing the car for the additional mass. I will add that there is no harm in adding the brace to your car.
I guess a engineer will find a significant improvement but it sounds not good if GM admit it. Yes, Al is right the car don’t need a tower brace but it will not harm. Or better it will improve the performance of the car.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
I find the explanation from Al quite helpful. If I understand well.

Make sense.

The point here is costs.

And it is cheaper than the tower brace.
No need doesn’t mean not beneficial.

I guess a engineer will find a significant improvement but it sounds not good if GM admit it. Yes, Al is right the car don’t need a tower brace but it will not harm. Or better it will improve the performance of the car.
That reads to me like "we're already inside the realm of diminishing returns".

Not that there would have been zero benefit by installing one, just that for the vast majority of customers the amount of benefit (if they noticed any at all - which cannot at all be guaranteed) was judged too small to warrant Chevy putting one in there except in the one convertible application.

For the ZL1 convertible, I'm going to guess that the added expense of redesigning and recertifying for a different hood was enough to tip the balance against fitting one there.

Norm
Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Of course a Brace is offered by GM. Why would they let someone else sell you one.
People like them even if they don't do anything. Looks cool.

and it's another place to get Al O. to sign at the next big car meet.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote