Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
TH red SS

Drives: 2017 Red Camaro SS
AFM vibration

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but have had several Camaros and Vettes over the years until I got divorced. I was finally able to pick up a barely used 17 SS with only 1K miles on it on Thursday and while driving it home, I noticed while on cruise control, going up a slight incline, and in V4 mode, I'm getting a vibration/nasty drone coming from the driver's side of the motor. It immediately stops once it switches back to V8 mode. I know there have been problems with the AFM but when I've done searches, I can't find anything that matches my exact issue. Anyone experience this or have an idea what it could be before I let the dealer look at it? Thanks!
TH red SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH red SS View Post
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but have had several Camaros and Vettes over the years until I got divorced. I was finally able to pick up a barely used 17 SS with only 1K miles on it on Thursday and while driving it home, I noticed while on cruise control, going up a slight incline, and in V4 mode, I'm getting a vibration/nasty drone coming from the driver's side of the motor. It immediately stops once it switches back to V8 mode. I know there have been problems with the AFM but when I've done searches, I can't find anything that matches my exact issue. Anyone experience this or have an idea what it could be before I let the dealer look at it? Thanks!
That's an easy one.....go to the transmission forum...should be top of the field. Also...go to members "Ask AL".....lots of info on that.

You will need the triple flush...and possibly a new torque converter....search/look: "T/C shudder"

Eventually it will start vibrating in V8 mode also....
Old 12-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Just wondering, is it absolutely necessary / worth it? or is this more of a preference thing? I get the shudder too when my motor is lugging but it hasn't bothered me enough to address it with the dealer.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just wondering, is it absolutely necessary / worth it? or is this more of a preference thing? I get the shudder too when my motor is lugging but it hasn't bothered me enough to address it with the dealer.
Well I can only tell you from experience, the issue gets worse over time. To the point it doesn't matter if AFM is engaged or not. Before my TC was replaced I had the shudder just before each shift at light throttle.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Well I can only tell you from experience, the issue gets worse over time. To the point it doesn't matter if AFM is engaged or not. Before my TC was replaced I had the shudder just before each shift at light throttle.
Correct, it gets worse. My 2016 did this at 8k miles, dealer guys went on strike, I was dealing with GM, put 22k more miles on it before returning it to GM for my 2018. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t need a trans also considering it shook everytime it shifted in the end & cruising down the highway, would hang on third gear and drop to first when slowing down. I would get it fixed ASAP.

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote