Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
2017 ZL1 Convertible Audio Upgrade

Ok folks, so here are some pics of the audio build. We are 90+% finished. as mentioned in another thread, creating the custom subwoofer with the limited space in the convertible has proven to take the most time.

Front stage:
Hybrid Audio technologies Legatia L1V2 tweeters
Hybrid Audio technologies Legatia L6SE midbass/midrange
Hybrid Audio technologies L2x crossover

Processors:
NAV-TV’s M650-GM processor
Hertz H8 processor

Rear fill:
Hybrid Audio technologies Imagine 6.5' coaxial

Amplifer:
Hybrid Audio technologies Unity U5A 5 channel amplifier

Subwoofer:
JL Audio W6V3 in custom fiberglass box

Misc:
Batcap 400
Mobile Video Integration (MVI) Video In motion Module Flash
Attached Images

'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK

Last edited by drfeelgood; 12-29-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: image linking
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
syntaxx7x

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Fifty
clean build.. how much did it dent your pockets?? I want something nice in my convertible.. trying to figure out if a can fit 2 8 inch subs in the back somewhere..

maybe even take out the back fill speakers and build something into that panel..
syntaxx7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
CaliMBF

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert
Did your shop hook up with mine for the sub box specs?
CaliMBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMBF View Post
Did your shop hook up with mine for the sub box specs?
no, he just did his own. He built it slightly different but in the same place.
Attached Images

'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxx7x View Post
clean build.. how much did it dent your pockets?? I want something nice in my convertible.. trying to figure out if a can fit 2 8 inch subs in the back somewhere..

maybe even take out the back fill speakers and build something into that panel..
you have a coupe, it's pretty easy. If you have a convertible, you have to be more creative

final cost with labor was a little over $7,000

Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
CaliMBF

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert
That came out very nice!
CaliMBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Somebody just needs to start mass producing that sub box already! Looks awesome!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Did I miss something? Where's the M650-GM? Does it go behind the tuner and not the amp?
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
Did I miss something? Where's the M650-GM? Does it go behind the tuner and not the amp?
yes, it connects directly to the back of the headunit, you can then run fiber optic cable back to the sound processor. All door dings, chimes, back up warning beeps, etc still work fine and I did not have to disconnect any of the door mics, nor the input to the factory amp.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
The M650-GM is the best way to go for a Camaro IMO, and I would suggest using the Tosh fiber optic into a JL TwK D8, that way you have full control of the sound and then a solid amp for the front & rear speakers and a sub amp. I choose the Alpine PDXF6 150 watts per channel constant current so the ohm of the speakers don't change output wattage. I choose the RF Prime 750 for $200 can't be beat and once the gain is set wow... I also choose 2 JL Audio 12TW3-D4 12 for the subs and I made a smaller box and get strong bass but making a bit larger and expect even more bass. But what important is setting the amps gain right and get 1 of Steve Meads DD-1+ meter and now blow out the JL subs and still have full trunk space for stuff and still clears the convertible top! This, in my opinion, is not needed to pay someone 2K to install as long you have the tools and knowledge to setup it all up. The only issue was the M650-GM as it needs to be mounted on the side of the glove box and that is where I gave up more than I could do without videos to help so I took it to a pro shop. Christopher P.S Most important is the choice of music and how good is the recording is the MOST important part I found in this process.
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #11
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
The M650-GM is the best way to go for a Camaro IMO, and I would suggest using the Tosh fiber optic into a JL TwK D8, that way you have full control of the sound and then a solid amp for the front & rear speakers and a sub amp. I choose the Alpine PDXF6 150 watts per channel constant current so the ohm of the speakers don't change output wattage. I choose the RF Prime 750 for $200 can't be beat and once the gain is set wow... I also choose 2 JL Audio 12TW3-D4 12 for the subs and I made a smaller box and get strong bass but making a bit larger and expect even more bass. But what important is setting the amps gain right and get 1 of Steve Meads DD-1+ meter and now blow out the JL subs and still have full trunk space for stuff and still clears the convertible top! This, in my opinion, is not needed to pay someone 2K to install as long you have the tools and knowledge to setup it all up. The only issue was the M650-GM as it needs to be mounted on the side of the glove box and that is where I gave up more than I could do without videos to help so I took it to a pro shop. Christopher P.S Most important is the choice of music and how good is the recording is the MOST important part I found in this process.
I've heard great things about the Twk-D8. I haven't used it yet. My SQ setup is in my CST-V:
Audison BitPlay HD
Audison BitOne
Audison Voce AV5.1K HD (5 channel) (front stage , center channel, and sub)
Audison Voce AV Quattro (4 channel) (bridged to midbass)
HertzHCP2 (rear fill)

Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) driver:
Legatia L1 Pro R2 tweeters
Legatia L3SE 3.7" center channel
Legatia L3SE 3.7" left and fright mid range

Legatia L8Se 8.85" midbass
2 x JL Audio W6 in cabin facing sealed box

I can run FLAC files through the BitPlayHD for the absolute highest possible audio quality, digital source > digital sound processor> digital amps >to speakers. I'm not sure if you are familiar with FLAC, but it's a lossless audio codec, only problem is most audio systems can't play these files (the bitplayHD can, and the new iphones and ipads running ios11 can also)

Right now, the system has dual connections into the bitone. digital input from the bitplay using the toslink fiber optic. High level inputs from the factory amp. We re considering going back, and installing the M650-GM, so that the entire system is fully digital.