Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Michelin Pilot 4S front-Goodyear F1 A3 ROF rear?

So I replaced my rear tires at 10k miles with the OE Goodyears and now at 16k my front tires need replaced. I have decided to give the Michelin Pilot 4S a try and was curious as to any issues that may possibly be caused. I will of course use the factory sizes but will likely never replace all 4 at the same time so........?
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Personally, I'd never daily drive something with mismatched tires, and it makes you look like you couldn't afford a complete set. Find someone selling take off OE tires for cheap, then replace all 4 at one time.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Co2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Personally, I'd never daily drive something with mismatched tires, and it makes you look like you couldn't afford a complete set. Find someone selling take off OE tires for cheap, then replace all 4 at one time.
Thanks but I am not worried about what anyone thinks about my financial situation based on my mismatched tires. My fully loaded 2SS says I am doing OK. I am only concerned about performance issues, speedometer readings being off, etc. I am also not looking to replace the OE tires I am looking to switch to new Michelins.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2SS View Post
Thanks but I am not worried about what anyone thinks about my financial situation based on my mismatched tires. My fully loaded 2SS says I am doing OK. I am only concerned about performance issues, speedometer readings being off, etc. I am also not looking to replace the OE tires I am looking to switch to new Michelins.
Eh, so says you. Anyways... I was saying to buy some cheap take offs until you can afford to buy all 4 replacements. Mismatched tires will have different grip characteristics, but hey, it's you're ass, not mine. Oh, and speedo reads off tire height, not manufacturer. So as long as it's the same size, there shouldn't be an issue. However, every tire manufacturer sizes differently. What might be a 27.9 inch tall tire in GY, might be 27.2 in Michelin. Overall height is how the speedo gets its reading.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 AM   #5
Co2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Eh, so says you. Anyways... I was saying to buy some cheap take offs until you can afford to buy all 4 replacements. Mismatched tires will have different grip characteristics, but hey, it's you're ass, not mine. Oh, and speedo reads off tire height, not manufacturer. So as long as it's the same size, there shouldn't be an issue. However, every tire manufacturer sizes differently. What might be a 27.9 inch tall tire in GY, might be 27.2 in Michelin. Overall height is how the speedo gets its reading.
Geez.... One last time. The F...in' tires needed replacement at different times. Not because of my wallet, but because the rears wore out at a much faster rate than the fronts. I wasn't going to replace the fronts that were perfectly good just because the rears were not. And thank you so much for clarifying that the speedometer doesn't read what tires manufacturer the car is using. I wasn't sure about that. Your last 3 sentences were the only ones that really had any pertinence to my question, so thank you for them. You have been incredibly helpful.

Anyone else with opinions would also be greatly appreciated. And let's pretend that money isn't an issue(since it isn't). Just actual performance dynamics is what I am concerned about.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
I would not think you will have any noticeable issues with the same outer diameter sized tires. I know the Michelins' will be a longer lasting tire. Your rears will need replacing soon enough so, i would personally change to the Michelins' up front.
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
The michelins will have better grip, but as you are probably well used to the rear grip of the goodyears by now and are probably not massively far off replacing the rears anyway, no there wont be any major issues in replacing the fronts and then doing the rears when they actually wear down
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Putting Michelins on the front and Goodyears in the rear is a bad idea.

Michelins have much better wet grip and Goodyears are slicker than greased monkey $#!t in the rain.

The first time you hydroplane the rears at highway speeds you're gonna come back here posting that you went for a money spin and shoulda bought all 4 Michelins.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Either get matching GY rears, or get 4 Michelin. Don’t mix and match. The 4s is a great tire, worth every penny.

I know numerous people have said to keep them matching, but I also know this is the internet and you’re not going to listen. Murcia!
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Either get matching GY rears, or get 4 Michelin. Don’t mix and match. The 4s is a great tire, worth every penny.

I know numerous people have said to keep them matching, but I also know this is the internet and you’re not going to listen. Murcia!
LOL!
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I don't know what kind of driving you do but you are more likely to have oversteering now with grippier front tires and less grippy rears. On the streets I wouldn't worry about it at all from a safety stand point. Just don't enter a car show with mismatched tires... lol
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I doubt the performance characteristics are THAT much different between the two. Probably no worse than running a more worn front and less worn rear of the same exact tire. If you're looking to transition over to the Michelins eventually, I wouldn't hesitate to do it two at a time.

The stock tires put down serious lateral acceleration, figure 8, lap times, and braking #s based on all the magazine tests, so I don't think they are as bad as some folks make them out to be.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Go in for 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's and call it a day. They're the best street tire I have ever seen. I'll be buying these for the foreseeable future.

As was said a few posts ago, the Goodyear runflats go to shit when they get cold or wet, and feel like they've been oiled when they are cold AND wet. I limped through a mild (though unusually wet) SoCal winter on my original set last year, and had a couple of moments of pure terror. I was literally counting the days until March, when I could put my PS4S order in.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Do not mix tires it will cause issues in the rain
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote