Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
2017 SS 1LE latest Autocross

Wanted to quickly share my latest Autocross event from this past weekend. Moreno motorsports camber plates are impressing me every time I get to push them. I took a couple months off so getting a feel for the crappy pea gravel pavement took some effort this round.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hi, nice video. I've been doing autox too. I do feel Camaro is too heavy and too big for autox course, which is quite narrow and tight compared to road course. I'm usually at least 10 seconds slower to those Miatas or similar cars.
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Hi, nice video. I've been doing autox too. I do feel Camaro is too heavy and too big for autox course, which is quite narrow and tight compared to road course. I'm usually at least 10 seconds slower to those Miatas or similar cars.
Are you going to the SCCA autocross on the 15th?
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
Are you going to the SCCA autocross on the 15th?
I usually go to BMW CCA autocross because my friends also go there. I heard SCCA autocross has a even narrower track. Have you been to BMW CCA autocross? What do you think?

Do you go to track days? I have prepared several months for track days and I'll start to do both track days and autocross
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
10 seconds seems like a lot, are your tires worn out? Or are they fully prepared on R-comps/slicks?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
10 seconds seems like a lot, are your tires worn out? Or are they fully prepared on R-comps/slicks?
Probably because of my driving skills since I'm new to competitive driving. In the beginning, I was using stock tires (245/275) and that was 20s difference compared to the fast Miatas. Then I switched to 295 Toyo R888R tires and the difference reduced to about 10s.

I really think this car is heavy and big in autocross. A good comparison is that my time can compete with those M3/M4 which have a similar size, though a bit slower usually.

I still enjoy autocross because I can really push the car to the limit without worrying about crash, but the narrow track, sharp turn, low speed (compared to road course) and slalom, not so much
Old 10-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
I still enjoy autocross because I can really push the car to the limit without worrying about crash, but the narrow track, sharp turn, low speed (compared to road course) and slalom, not so much
Same reason why I do it as well. Though, I tried a track event with a 180 hp car, which wasn't fun even at the infield of AAA speedway.

If you ever have time, you should try our local venues (AAA Speedway (not the small parking lot) and El Toro, Irivne (This will be gone soon)).

http://www.solo2.com/calendar.htm

Courses are usually brisk, while offering technical aspects for bigger cars like ours.

Posted some Camaro videos on this thread. LINK

Lots of fun and could use more 6th Gen Camaros out here.

Quote:
Probably because of my driving skills since I'm new to competitive driving. In the beginning, I was using stock tires (245/275) and that was 20s difference compared to the fast Miatas. Then I switched to 295 Toyo R888R tires and the difference reduced to about 10s.
I think you would be faster on RE71R's... I run 275 square on the 19" stock width wheels, so I can flip/swap them as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
Tim202

Quote:
I usually go to BMW CCA autocross because my friends also go there. I heard SCCA autocross has a even narrower track. Have you been to BMW CCA autocross? What do you think?

Do you go to track days? I have prepared several months for track days and I'll start to do both track days and autocross
I have not been to any BMW or PCA autocrosses. I have not been to any track days yet (in this car), but I would like to. Just waiting for some friends to have some time.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
Same reason why I do it as well. Though, I tried a track event with a 180 hp car, which wasn't fun even at the infield of AAA speedway.

If you ever have time, you should try our local venues (AAA Speedway (not the small parking lot) and El Toro, Irivne (This will be gone soon)).

http://www.solo2.com/calendar.htm

Courses are usually brisk, while offering technical aspects for bigger cars like ours.

Posted some Camaro videos on this thread. LINK

Lots of fun and could use more 6th Gen Camaros out here.

I think you would be faster on RE71R's... I run 275 square on the 19" stock width wheels, so I can flip/swap them as well.
So you have been to track day at Auto Club Speedway? I guess it must be super exciting to drive on the oval part.

I see Speed Ventures have autocross at Auto Club Speedway. So you are saying you don't feel the autocross track narrow there? That's great. Most autocross here in San Diego are held in Qualcomm stadium parking lot. Maybe I should check out the autocross at Speedway. I did go to Speedway for drag race.

I moved to San Diego from LA right after I got this car last year, which makes me far away from any track
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
hzycamaro

Quote:
I have not been to any BMW or PCA autocrosses. I have not been to any track days yet (in this car), but I would like to. Just waiting for some friends to have some time.
Do you think SCCA autocross track is a bit narrow for Camaro?

I may go to SCCA autocross to check it out. A guy from SCCA approached me in 2 BMW CCA autocross events and suggested me to try SCCA autocross. There are so many different classes, though

Last edited by hzycamaro; 10-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Tim202

Quote:
Do you think SCCA autocross track is a bit narrow for Camaro?

I may go to SCCA autocross to check it out. A guy from SCCA approached me in 2 BMW CCA autocross events and suggested me to try SCCA autocross. There are so many different classes, though
Others, more experienced than I, may have a different opinion, but; the race line is the race line. Not sure what you mean by too narrow. There certainly isn't any point where the car cannot go through w/o hitting a cone. There have been some courses where cones seem to be at the minimum width, but I would say it isn't a normal thing. On the other hand, I have also seen some turns where there is a huge amount of space but you wouldn't want to use it as it would be way off the line.

I suppose the bottom line would be to show up before the cars start rolling and judge for yourself (costs nothing to walk the course). I have a friend that complains about the tight turns and slow courses pretty much every event, but he keeps showing up.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
hzycamaro

Quote:
I have a friend that complains about the tight turns and slow courses pretty much every event, but he keeps showing up.
Your friend sounds like me

I think his complain comes from the fact that fast acceleration doesn't give you much advantage in autocross because of tight turns and slow courses

My point is compared to light and small cars, Camaros are more difficult to get a good result in autocross. Maybe I should not compare Camaro with Miata in the first place. Maybe that's why SCCA has so many different classes
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
My point is compared to light and small cars, Camaros are more difficult to get a good result in autocross. Maybe I should not compare Camaro with Miata in the first place. Maybe that's why SCCA has so many different classes
I came from an STX brz with a similar mind set. Its hard to think that this 455hp car would be slower. It is, by a decent margin, its just a different kind of fun really. Took me most of this season to get used to the size and weight of the camaro. In time! Thats why we PAX race hah.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
I came from an STX brz with a similar mind set. Its hard to think that this 455hp car would be slower. It is, by a decent margin, its just a different kind of fun really. Took me most of this season to get used to the size and weight of the camaro. In time! Thats why we PAX race hah.
Since you have driven both BRZ and Camaro in autocross, you must have a clear understanding of the difference. I once took a ride with an instructor in his open top Miata, such a big difference!