Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
1st Impression of ZL1 1LE from BMW M4

Okay, so I took delivery of my ZL1 1LE yesterday and had a chance to drive it for about 100 miles through some twisty, windy roads of the TX Hill Country. I will provide a quick first impression compared to my previous M4. Also, keep in mind that this is break-in so obviously won't have a true impression of power. So here goes...

Exterior - First, all I got to say about the looks of this car is "WOW!" Pictures don't do this car justice. When you walk up to it, you truly feel that this is a very unique car. The larger front grill with dive planes and rear wing make this car look wicked aggressive. I thought my M4 in Austin Yellow Metallic was a head turner, but when next to this car, the M4 started looking like a Honda (no offense to Honda owners). And back to that rear wing and dive planes. Those features certainly give this car a personality of its own. While I do love the look of the base ZL1, IMO these cars look significantly different. In other words, you will never mistake a ZL1 for a ZL1 1LE. Take that for what its worth.

Interior - As far of interior, not different from the ZL1 so won't go into detail here. Compared to the M4, the M4 was nicer, but it is a high end BMW. This is not to take away from the ZL1. I do like the interior very much and the carbon fiber insert certainly breaks up the appearance of too much suede if thats your concern. Seats were comfortable and did their job to keep you planted. One problem for passengers is no "oh crap" handles. My mom was with me and she kept trying to reach for a handle as I was taking quick turns. I will say that the seat coolers are the most impressive I've ever felt. I've had them in a previous Lexus and have them in my 2017 Ford Raptor. I will say these seat coolers are a 10. They were immediate and my back was also cool instantly. The one thing I have mixed feelings about is that negative angled NAV unit. It looks fine, but seems to go against the grain seeing a screen somewhat canted away from you at a downward angle. Maybe they did that to prevent glare. Interior sound isn't bad. I personally believe my M4 was louder as it also had the suspension directly bolted to the body with no bushings.

Power - Didn't really open it up, but I'm sure it won't disappoint. I'm not sure if this is the case but I'm under the impression that GM restricts power delivery during break-in. It just felt sluggish somewhat compared to my M4. The twin turbo M4 had a great torque band, so you felt a hard pull at almost all RPMs. I'm sure there has to be a restriction on this ZL1 during break-in. That, or I just didn't really push it. Also, the exhaust sounds so great. Can't beat the sound of a strong V8. And I certainly love the sound of the SC as it winds up. It's subtle, but it's there and sounds great.

Tranmission - I love the short throw 6 speed. There is not much travel from gear to gear which makes shifting quick. This is definitely the hardest car to take off in. That 1st gear will take some mastery. But overall, a very nice tranny.

Suspension - It certainly isn't a Cadillac, but it's not a stagecoach either. The suspension is stiff and keeps the car planted. You know those little tar, snaky patches they use to fix cracks on the roads? Well you can feel those. I think that's a good thing as there is no doubt you can feel what type of road surface you're driving on. Compared to the M4, I would say it's slightly stiffer than the M4 in Sport Plus mode. Personally, the stiffness doesn't bother me. I love the way the DSSV feels and is absolutely appropriate for this car.

Handling - This car feels as if it's driving on rails. The body doesn't seem to roll or twist. I had full confidence in its capabilities on curves while going up and down hills. You can feel the surface of the roadway through the steering wheel. While many complained that the M4's steering felt dead and dull, I never shared that belief. I actually thought the M4 had a good steering feel. However, the ZL1 1LE is hands down superior in feel. My one complaint on the steering wheel on the ZL1 is that it isn't thick enough. The M4 had a thicker steering wheel which was comfortable on the hands after slight extended driving. However, I do have larger paws with longer fingers so smaller hands may find this just fine.

Overall, this car is truly special and impressive. I was somewhat floundering in choosing a ZL1 with the A10. However, at this point I know I personally made the best decision as this car is going to make me happier. Even if I ended up never tracking this car (not my plan), I certainly would be happy owning it without ever tracking. I never tracked my M4. However, this car makes me want to track it now. Yes, its that good.

The only problem I have to overcome is how to make sure my BF get's over not being the first to ride in it. Haha. Anyway, enjoy your new cars all. This will bring many smiles for several thousands of miles. I will pics after I pick it up tomorrow from Austin after its PPF, window tint, and Feynlab coating.

Last edited by utsteve98; 07-22-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: correcting grammar
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I'm glad the suspension wasn't horrible for you...I would love to drive one simply to compare but doubt I'll get a peek at one in the valley.

The regular Z in track / sport is down right stiff...tour is a joy. I was expecting the 1le to be substantially more crusty around town.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
No power reduction on break in.
You are feeling the nannies, GM went a little heavy handed.
-Bobby
Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
utsteve98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I'm glad the suspension wasn't horrible for you...I would love to drive one simply to compare but doubt I'll get a peek at one in the valley.

The regular Z in track / sport is down right stiff...tour is a joy. I was expecting the 1le to be substantially more crusty around town.
When you say valley, do you mean CA or TX?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
utsteve98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
No power reduction on break in.
You are feeling the nannies, GM went a little heavy handed.
-Bobby
I was being quite conservative with acceleration so I'm sure a lot had to do with me also. Thanks though.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
Power - Didn't really open it up, but I'm sure it won't disappoint. I'm not sure if this is the case but I'm under the impression that GM restricts power delivery during break-in. It just felt sluggish somewhat compared to my M4. The twin turbo M4 had a great torque band, so you felt a hard pull at almost all RPMs. I'm sure there has to be a restriction on this ZL1 during break-in. That, or I just didn't really push it.
'grats! I, too, came over from the BMW (M3 in my case).

The sluggishness you feel is just the difference in throttle response, and the difference in power delivery between (twin) turbos vs. the supercharger.

The M3/M4 pedal isn't as linear as the ZL1's. For example, about 50% pedal in the M3 was about like 90% throttle, so that last 50% of travel didn't get you much more. Plus you got that ever-so-slight turbo lag, then shove when they were fully spooled.

In this car, and especially in track mode, the pedal is very linear. After having the M3, going 50% pedal in this car doesn't feel like much. However, going from 50% to 75% is an eye-opener, then 75% to the floor is yet another eye-opener.

Sport mode is a bit less linear (but still way more than the BMW), and is where I spend most of my time. Track is more for when you require very precise throttle control (as you would expect on a track).
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Artos

Quote:
When you say valley, do you mean CA or TX?
Texas...I'm right on the border bout 60 miles up the Rio Grande River mas/menos.

I have yet to see another ZL1 on the street.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
utsteve98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
'grats! I, too, came over from the BMW (M3 in my case).

The sluggishness you feel is just the difference in throttle response, and the difference in power delivery between (twin) turbos vs. the supercharger.

The M3/M4 pedal isn't as linear as the ZL1's. For example, about 50% pedal in the M3 was about like 90% throttle, so that last 50% of travel didn't get you much more. Plus you got that ever-so-slight turbo lag, then shove when they were fully spooled.

In this car, and especially in track mode, the pedal is very linear. After having the M3, going 50% pedal in this car doesn't feel like much. However, going from 50% to 75% is an eye-opener, then 75% to the floor is yet another eye-opener.

Sport mode is a bit less linear (but still way more than the BMW), and is where I spend most of my time. Track is more for when you require very precise throttle control (as you would expect on a track).
Thanks, great to know. I really didn't go past 50 percent on throttle so that explains it. I did feel some explosion when I was going near WOT, but didn't do that long or past 4k rpm.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
utsteve98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Texas...I'm right on the border bout 60 miles up the Rio Grande River mas/menos.

I have yet to see another ZL1 on the street.
PM me. I live in Edinburg. Maybe we can meet up so you can get a feel of the differences.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Congrats and thanks for the impressions!

For sure the pedal mapping feels more progressive than the BMW. Try all the drive modes and see how they feel. Chances are you'll gravitate towards one as your favorite. Ditto for steering assist. Just for perspective, a bunch of us in the SS 1LE camp agree that the steering is best in Touring mode while on the track. Yours might be different, but don't be afraid to find out what works best for you.

I did chuckle a bit reading your comment about the steering wheel thickness. For me it's the opposite; BMW wheels have elephantiasis compared to the rest of the industry.

And finally, I certainly hope you bring it to the track! That's what 1LE's are for! Now, let's see some pictures.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
Thanks, great to know. I really didn't go past 50 percent on throttle so that explains it. I did feel some explosion when I was going near WOT, but didn't do that long or past 4k rpm.
Yeah, this thing really shines from 4K-6K, so I think you'll definitely be satisfied after break-in.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Dethsupp0rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I did chuckle a bit reading your comment about the steering wheel thickness. For me it's the opposite; BMW wheels have elephantiasis compared to the rest of the industry.
I know, right? The steering wheel was a good size for a 7-series, but not an M3.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
utsteve98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Congrats and thanks for the impressions!

For sure the pedal mapping feels more progressive than the BMW. Try all the drive modes and see how they feel. Chances are you'll gravitate towards one as your favorite. Ditto for steering assist. Just for perspective, a bunch of us in the SS 1LE camp agree that the steering is best in Touring mode while on the track. Yours might be different, but don't be afraid to find out what works best for you.

And finally, I certainly hope you bring it to the track! That's what 1LE's are for! Now, let's see some pictures.
Haha, thanks. And they will be coming soon. By Monday I imagine.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
Artos

Quote:
PM me. I live in Edinburg. Maybe we can meet up so you can get a feel of the differences.
awesome...we are next door to one another.