Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
So, apparently the Ring time don't mean nothing.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-thing-period/

Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Who wrote that crap, James May?!? Haha whatever bro I for one do value good ring times!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
This guys opinion don't mean SH$t.

This car beat a lot of European cars, on the track that the heavy euros test at,
If it beat them there, it'll beat'em on the road here, period.

Jack is a slut of anything not US made and/or a mustang...

Last edited by kwav8r; 06-23-2017 at 06:59 PM.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Who wrote that crap, James May?!? Haha whatever bro I for one do value good ring times!
Right?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The ring is a bench mark test. Same as 1/4 mile etc. That is why most car makers run that track. This just proves that american muscle is up to par with euro cars that are known for there handling.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Ring times demonstrate that Chevy is building world class performance cars. Period

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-23-2017 at 08:32 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Yeah, I agree to disagree with this guy. The ring has everything. If you are used to racing on little road courses with nothing longer than 1/4 mile straights and many very tight corners then the ring is unrealistic. He comments his "underpowered" car was seeing 120 mph. Well when I commute I frequently see 120 mph if I have a capable car. Of course you are going to put a professional driver in the car, that means you are going to go fast, if you want a grandma car go buy a Prius. I would actually like to see lap times on many tracks but as far as I'm concerned the ring is the gold standard.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
We can all speculate but the bottom line is that American muscle cars gave always been viewed as sub-par to European sports cars and thought to be straight line machines only. There was a time when the way to race in the US was a 1/4 at a time only, or at least primarily.

European makers use the Ring as a benchmark. So if you're GM and trying to prove that you're no longer a one trick pony, you run the car in the ring and see how it stacks up.

At the end of the day the ring time means only as much as a 0-60 time or a 1/4 mile time. It's purely a benchmark to compare. Are any of us ever going to run our car on the ring? Highly unlikely. But if you want a car that goes straight fastest, you use the 1/4 mile time. If you want a car that goes fast around your local track you use the ring benchmark.

Regardless of its validity, it's super impressive that GM was able to tune the ZL1 and the 1LE to lap the Ring and any track this quickly. Great job by the team.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Biggest bunch of drivel ever...he totally doesn't get it.

To even mention the issue of these hero runs / bragging right times & comment about 'only one line & passing issues'?? Fastest lap times don't matter if it's Willow, the Ring', or Laguna Seca. It's just as absurd as saying 0-60 or 1/4 mile times don't matter for a particular vehicle.

Seriously, this is the largest nonsense...I'm no fanboy to any particular brand, but you have to think there is something about GM sticking in this ding-dong's craw.

Look at the recent China electric car that broke the Ring' record...it's not really a production car with only 1/2 dozen made and $1.5mm. Who cares, it was stupid wicked fast. If the Ford 500 comes out & someone takes it to the Ring' & happens to beat a ZL1 time, then they deserve kudos for the time. I will likely still poke fun about the cost & ADM crap, but the time is the time. Doesn't matter which track.

To say 'any' hero run on a famous track doesn't have any merit simply makes the author lose any credibility they may have had.

This below from the article tells me there is some sort of bias against GM...no one should be able to dismiss what has been brought to the table. This is now an open hand game & the competition now has to figure out to make a faster version in the $65k - $75k range.

This is a big deal & many do not like like the crow being served.

In my opinion, the first assumption is almost exclusively the province of people without a racing license. The Ring is hugely challenging, it is highly memory-intensive, and it is remarkably dangerous. Yet the same is also true of BASE jumping with a blindfold on. As a race track, the Ring is mostly a follow-the-leader affair. There’s only one line through most of the fast sections. I don’t claim to have mastered the track but it’s plain to see that in cars of equal capability you’d have maybe ten opportunities to pass at most — this, in a track about five times as long as Mid-Ohio or Laguna Seca.

Very few experienced racers regard the Ring as anything other than an exercise in memory. If you can remember all of your entry and exit marks, you’ve accomplished ninety percent of the battle, because much of the track is simply a matter of knowing where you can keep the throttle pinned. From there, it’s a dyno test. Yes, there are fast turns. I was driving a relatively low-powered car at the Ring (you can always look at my Instagram if you want the details) and I was often doing 120 mph or more with some angle in the steering wheel. But in general, the Ring is a very pretty, very charming combination of memory test (for you) and dyno test (for the car).
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

To even mention the issue of these hero runs / bragging right times & comment about 'only one line & passing issues'?? Fastest lap times don't matter if it's Willow, the Ring', or Laguna Seca. It's just as absurd as saying 0-60 or 1/4 mile times don't matter for a particular vehicle.

Seriously, this is the largest nonsense...I'm no fanboy to any particular brand, but you have to think there is something about GM sticking in this ding-dong's craw.

Look at the recent China electric car that broke the Ring' record...it's not really a production car with only 1/2 dozen made and $1.5mm. Who cares, it was stupid wicked fast. If the Ford 500 comes out & someone takes it to the Ring' & happens to beat a ZL1 time, then they deserve kudos for the time. I will likely still poke fun about the cost & ADM crap, but the time is the time. Doesn't matter which track.

To say 'any' hero run on a famous track doesn't have any merit simply makes the author lose any credibility they may have had.

This below from the article tells me there is some sort of bias against GM...no one should be able to dismiss what has been brought to the table. This is now an open hand game & the competition now has to figure out to make a faster version in the $65k - $75k range.

This is a big deal & many do not like like the crow being served.

In my opinion, the first assumption is almost exclusively the province of people without a racing license. The Ring is hugely challenging, it is highly memory-intensive, and it is remarkably dangerous. Yet the same is also true of BASE jumping with a blindfold on. As a race track, the Ring is mostly a follow-the-leader affair. There’s only one line through most of the fast sections. I don’t claim to have mastered the track but it’s plain to see that in cars of equal capability you’d have maybe ten opportunities to pass at most — this, in a track about five times as long as Mid-Ohio or Laguna Seca.

Very few experienced racers regard the Ring as anything other than an exercise in memory. If you can remember all of your entry and exit marks, you’ve accomplished ninety percent of the battle, because much of the track is simply a matter of knowing where you can keep the throttle pinned. From there, it’s a dyno test. Yes, there are fast turns. I was driving a relatively low-powered car at the Ring (you can always look at my Instagram if you want the details) and I was often doing 120 mph or more with some angle in the steering wheel. But in general, the Ring is a very pretty, very charming combination of memory test (for you) and dyno test (for the car).
That's like saying 90% of drag racing is remembering to nail the throttle when the light turns green. What an idiot.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The author probably crashed his car there and is still bitter.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
We can all speculate but the bottom line is that American muscle cars gave always been viewed as sub-par to European sports cars and thought to be straight line machines only. There was a time when the way to race in the US was a 1/4 at a time only, or at least primarily.

European makers use the Ring as a benchmark. So if you're GM and trying to prove that you're no longer a one trick pony, you run the car in the ring and see how it stacks up.

At the end of the day the ring time means only as much as a 0-60 time or a 1/4 mile time. It's purely a benchmark to compare. Are any of us ever going to run our car on the ring? Highly unlikely. But if you want a car that goes straight fastest, you use the 1/4 mile time. If you want a car that goes fast around your local track you use the ring benchmark.

Regardless of its validity, it's super impressive that GM was able to tune the ZL1 and the 1LE to lap the Ring and any track this quickly. Great job by the team.

Exactly, Europe rates cars as cornering cars, always have. You run on what you have. Most places in Europe are hilly and curving. The US, has a lot of flat. So what do we have? 1/4 mile and oval tracks. Europe has Le Mans and the 'ring and curves and twisty tracks.

Update: I just read the article. This is what the MF boys were spouting about and copying and pasting like the knew what they were talking about. Jack Baruth is an idiot. And so are the MF boys who copied and pasted.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 06-24-2017 at 08:33 AM.
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Well,

Motor Trend definitely had Pobst post a lap time, either at Laguna Seca or Willow (I can't remember which one they used this time, I think it's LS) for the Best Driver's Car.

Same driver. Same track. Same day(s).

So, we'll see.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
He totally gets it...

You take an opposing view to a HUGE media announcement...

...write a big eye popping headline about it.

....get readers like us to comment.

And the next thing you know 5 million hits.