Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
2014 Corvette vs 2016 or newer 2SS

Ok, looking to buy either a 2014/15 Corvette or a 16/17/18 2SS. Now I know that I am asking a biased group but knowing that the rear seats are useless I am heavily leaning towards the Corvette. What I want to know is performance wise, handling, drivability, comfort, ect, what are the major differences. The base corvette has the same engine as the 2SS with the same output power. If I go corvette I am likely to go after the Z51 package. Pricewise I see the 14's going for about 45 with the Z51, new 2SS's go for the same. I like the interior of the 2SS as I think it is actually done better than the corvette. I like the looks of both but the front of the 2SS is better vs corvette but the rear of the corvette is better than the 2SS in my opinion. I have owned several Camaros including a GEN5 in the past (no GEN6s) and one corvette. Loved the corvette and the Camaros were good but out of all the vehicles I ever owned I have to say the corvette was my favorite. By no means is my mind made up yet, I still have a year to figure it out. I initially ruled out the Corvette as I didn't want to spend that much but after relooking a few things I realize I can afford it with no issues.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
There are already several threads on this.
Looks will always be subjective.
The corvette will always have a lighter, low riding, sportier feel. If going mainly for performance, it's hard to justify the extra cost of the vette imo.
My 2SS 6m is the best car I've ever owned. I literally have no complaints. I have owned 22 performance cars since 92'.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I've owned two C7s - a '14 and a '15. They are awesome cars and have a completely different feel to them when driving versus a Camaro, even the 6th Gen. They are lighter and of equal power to the 6th Gen SS but they do not have the back seat area if that is important to you.

Drive both and see which one you like better. Everyone is different and has different boxes to check that matter to them.

I like them both equally but for slightly different reasons so I could be happy with either one.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I looked at the C7 before buying my 13 ZL1 and again when I bought the 16 2SS as a daily driver. The C7 is much more snug and low requiring you roll out using your arm. The Camaro is more comfortable and I did use the rear seat once when I unexpectedly had to take colleagues out. Better to have the rear seat than not.

I just spoke to a buddy that daily drives a 17 Z51. 26k miles in his first year and he loves it. His C6 trade had 250k miles on it.

Bottom line- the C7 will have a performance edge but you can literally check every option box on a 2SS and still be much less $$$ than a base C7

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
MATTHEWLONG

Drives: 2017 CAMARO 2SS
I test drove the 2ss and c7. I just enjoyed the camaro more which was disappointing as I had been dreaming of a c7 for a year. That and I ground out the c7 on the way in and out of the dealer and not the camaro. I couldn't be living with that every day.
MATTHEWLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, its your personal taste. But if this is your only car I would get a Camaro as it is more useful. But from a financial perspective the Corvette is the hands down winner. For some reason CA6 Camaros are not selling and Camaro new car value drops like a stone.

If you buy a Corvette smart you might be able to lose a few grand after a few years, but if you buy a new 2SS be prepared to lose around $10K.

As for performance the Corvette is faster and the handling is a wash with the Z51.

The Camaro has better electronics is a very capable well rounded performance car. The Corvette has a few rough edges, but is loads of fun. The ladies will appreciate the Corvette much more than a Camaro.

But except for the $$ you can't go wrong with either of your choices.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
If all you care about it paper performance, or "being seen driving a C7" then get that.

There are many of us here that formerly drove C7's and then real life happened, Whether is was getting older, injuries, or just wanting a more livable car, we all "stepped down" to "just a Camaro" (as many people will ask you).

The only thing I miss about my C7 in reality is looking at it. There aren't many cars that are that nice looking. That said, my '17 50th Anniv 2SS convertible is a damn nice looking car, with 90% of the performance of a C7. I don't miss my C7 at all.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #8
red_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
There are already several threads on this.
Looks will always be subjective.
The corvette will always have a lighter, low riding, sportier feel. If going mainly for performance, it's hard to justify the extra cost of the vette imo.
My 2SS 6m is the best car I've ever owned. I literally have no complaints. I have owned 22 performance cars since 92'.
Several threads, likely but I was having issues searching. For some reason I couldn't select the general section to search for what I wanted. I appreciate that you still gave some feedback on what I was looking for. Usually people flame you if you didn't search first (even if you did search first). Thanks!

Last edited by red_johnny; 06-22-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
red_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
If all you care about it paper performance, or "being seen driving a C7" then get that.

There are many of us here that formerly drove C7's and then real life happened, Whether is was getting older, injuries, or just wanting a more livable car, we all "stepped down" to "just a Camaro" (as many people will ask you).

The only thing I miss about my C7 in reality is looking at it. There aren't many cars that are that nice looking. That said, my '17 50th Anniv 2SS convertible is a damn nice looking car, with 90% of the performance of a C7. I don't miss my C7 at all.
Totally understand that reasons may vary. I do love the look of the 50th, got several saved on my favorites list as I watch prices like a hawk. But, still got a year to wait before I buy. I go on vacation in a few weeks and will be able to test drive both so we will see what happens then when I can actually reach out and touch each one.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
You can't go wrong with either the Corvette or Camaro. The C7 is amazing and personally is the car I would take. The interior is no longer terrible and it is one of the best looking cars on the market. The 6th gen Camaro is no slouch either however, especially the performance.

Since the performance is so close relative to street use its arguably the better buy to get the Camaro as you can get more tech and similar performance for less then the Corvette. However the Corvette is a completely different machine.

Can't go wrong with either but I would go with the Corvette unless you deem the price to be to much compared to what you can get from a 2SS. Either way you will have an amazing car.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Do you care about warranty or are you able to financially fix the Vette if it has problems? I'd factor that in as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
If you have a year to decide - I wouldn't put much effort into this now.
Drive both when you get a chance. I owned 2 Z51 vettes (C6) and a Z06 C5.
I have a SS convertible. I prefer it to the vette for most situations.
My wife also much prefers riding in the SS as he vette was always too low and clousterfobic for her.

Completely personal decision. I also have not warmed up to the C7. Personally I think the best looking vette is the C6 Z06. I would rather have one of those vs a C7. Interior is a step up in C7 but then the SS is a step up to the C7 IMO.

Can't go wrong either way to be honest.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
If you have a year to decide - I wouldn't put much effort into this now.
Drive both when you get a chance. I owned 2 Z51 vettes (C6) and a Z06 C5.
I have a SS convertible. I prefer it to the vette for most situations.
My wife also much prefers riding in the SS as he vette was always too low and clousterfobic for her.

Completely personal decision. I also have not warmed up to the C7. Personally I think the best looking vette is the C6 Z06. I would rather have one of those vs a C7. Interior is a step up in C7 but then the SS is a step up to the C7 IMO.

Can't go wrong either way to be honest.
Funny. My wife said the same thing. She doesn't care what I drive but made it clear that she wouldn't ride in a Z51 if I went that direction.

I do love the C7 and would love a GS as a toy but they really aren't as comfortable and the SS has enough power to satisfy in its stock form. Its a hard decision to give up the comfort and better interior of the SS.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
The biggest difference you will find is in the summer the Vette is a how beast inside and needs the air at cold as it can on high and blowing through the floor vents to get by. I sold my 14 and got a 16 Z06 at a great price and sold that for the 50th Camaro which is a much refined car for all around driving. Bottom line a Vette is a race car with mufflers. A Camaro is a driving machine you could race with some tweaking.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote