Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
dmeadows013

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary V6
Converting to Dual Mode Exhaust?

Hi guys, just bought a 2017 50th anniversary V6 and I had a quick question.

When I was looking at buying the car, I was hoping to find one (or order one) with the dual mode exhaust, but I also wanted the 50th anniversary package. Unfortunately, since they've stopped producing the 17 model year by now, I couldn't order that, and the car they had on the lot had everything I wanted except the dual mode exhaust.

I'm interested in eventually adding that myself, even though I'm guessing it will cost more than the factory option. From what I've read, I think I will need at least 3 things:

-NPP exhaust, either the Chevrolet one that ships on the car or an aftermarket one like Borla
-New rear diffuser to fit the quad tip exhaust, since I'm not going to try to cut my current one to fit
-Some sort of NPP controller. This is where I'm a bit confused... I've read that NPP in a box won't work with the 6, since it doesn't use vacuum pumps to close the valves. In that case, would I just need something like Mild2Wild, or something else entirely?

If this ends up being impossible, or will be ridiculously expensive, I'll probably just go with a performance exhaust. Can anyone recommend one that is somewhat loud but doesn't have significant drone?

Thanks
dmeadows013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
X-posting from the original V8 thread:

I actually researched this one quite a bit. In short, seems like it'll be a pain to try to match the factory setup. Mild2Wild, manually controlled cut-outs before the mufflers, or some other aftermarket dual mode setup would be the easiest way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeadows013 View Post
-NPP exhaust, either the Chevrolet one that ships on the car or an aftermarket one like Borla
Yes, anything with valves or even cutouts could be made to work as long as you can control the motor to open/close them. The factory NPP is open when at rest and requires input from the electric valve motor to close.

Quote:
-New rear diffuser to fit the quad tip exhaust, since I'm not going to try to cut my current one to fit
Yes, if you want quad tip. GM part number is 23404791 that comes as a primered finish (still needs paint).

Quote:
-Some sort of NPP controller. This is where I'm a bit confused... I've read that NPP in a box won't work with the 6, since it doesn't use vacuum pumps to close the valves. In that case, would I just need something like Mild2Wild, or something else entirely?
This one is tough on these cars. You'd need to wire into the BCM to control the factory valve motors and would also need a software flash on the radio and BCM to control the valve motors (assuming those controllers even have the required hardware to wire to). Would be much easier to do manual electric valves with a toggle switch or even vac controlled valves.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend one that is somewhat loud but doesn't have significant drone?
I love the MRT V3 catback system on my V8 car. H-pipes give it a deep and throaty tone, lack of mufflers make it nice and loud when you step on the gas, and there's a resonator to help keep drone in check. I personally don't have any issue with the level of noise in the car when driving normally. Can easily hold conversations without yelling and such. I would imagine it's even a little bit better in the V6, but haven't heard one in person to know for sure.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 06-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
I got a rear quad dual diffuser if your looking for one message me
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
I got a rear quad dual diffuser if your looking for one message me
PM Sent
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote