Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
vangaurdtrooper

Drives: 2016 2SS 6MT
Track Day Spin Out (Video) - Thompson Speedway

New member here with a stock 2016 SS 6MT. Track Newbie with only one prior HPDE event in my 04 E46 M3.

Track days in the New England area just started opening up and I've managed to attend 2 events already. I have to say I am absolutely hooked, though as you'll see, it hasn't been without its scary moments.

I was planning on attending another track day today (5/5/17) at Palmer Raceway but the 90% chance of precipitation has scared me away. Don't get me wrong, its great learning the limits of our cars in the rain, but I'd rather open it up and not be apprehensive behind the wheel the entire time.

I will be attending the SDCA event on June 5th at Palmer and the SCCA track night in america event on July 27th at Palmer as well.

Here are a couple of videos for your viewing pleasure. Pardon me if these don't embed properly.

1. Spin-out Thompson Speedway April 25th SCCA Track Night In America:

(Outside View)

(Interior View)

This happened as soon as I got the green flag on the straight. I've been instructed since then that I wasn't smooth getting on the throttle and also that there are puddles in that area of the track. I think my mindset was that I needed to power through rain. Plenty of the ZO6s and other rear-wheel beasts were flying through that straight with no problem. Humbling to say the least and very grateful to come out with no damage. I went on to complete the rest of my sessions.

2. Thompson Speedway May 3rd with Apex Driving:

After the bad taste left in my mouth from the first event, I decided I needed to attend a second event, but with proper instructions. I cannot say enough about the Apex School and its instructors. First Class guys that help your progress with every session. My trainer was awesome. Though the SCCA is alot cheaper for the track time, I feel its now necessary to attend a program like this for any first timer and I'd gladly pay the difference. Also its not every day you get passed by a Mclaren 12-C

Another thought: Even among Porsches and Mclarens, our car is one of the best sounding cars on the track. I kept hearing compliments at the noise the Camaro was producing even with other monsters on the track.

Also I did not know that my gopro had the GPS function with signal. Awesome feature that allows you to track speed, g-force, location on track (it automatically uploads the track map!)

Let me know your thoughts. I'm open to forum-driving instructors.
vangaurdtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Way to stay calm though!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
What were your settings on the spin out? As a novice, i'd probably keep stability control and traction control on during standing water. I'd love to go to an event at Palmer, Thompson, Lime Rock, or Watkins Glen... someday...
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Learning to drive your car in the rain is a GREAT opportunity. You're basically forced to be smooth with your inputs and lines.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
vangaurdtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting irish View Post
What were your settings on the spin out? As a novice, i'd probably keep stability control and traction control on during standing water. I'd love to go to an event at Palmer, Thompson, Lime Rock, or Watkins Glen... someday...
Was in Track Mode with TCS ON
Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
If you've never done autox, I'd recommend that for people just getting used to racing. It teaches car control that you'll never learn on track.

How? Well, on track, if you push too hard and make a mistake, the consequences can be catastrophic (due to high speeds). This means you tend to NOT push the car to 100%, because you don't want to damage it. But, at autox (where speeds are typically 40mph or so, max 60mph), and there are no walls, you can push as hard as you want, and you'll only spin out (and perhaps hit a cone).

This means that, when you go to the track, you have a much better idea of where the limits are for you and your car. You'll know what it feels like when the car is "about" to let go, and you can get up to that point, but not go over it.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
A bit more initial steering input on the first correction of the skid and you would probably caught it. You were close, but that'll come more natural to you as you practice more and more.

I want you to know this doesn't come from nowhere, I'm not just a guy who works for HRE Wheels but for several years I worked as a high performance driving instructor and I've been racing cars on and off for the last 13 years. One thing I noticed was that when you were spinning, you kept your hand at the 3 O'Clock position with your forearm across the airbag. In a skid like that especially where you could easily skid into the barriers, I would move your arm away from the airbag.

That watch won't look so good imprinted on your forehead. Try to keep the hands at 9-3 so that you don't knock yourself out just in case the airbag does go off in a collision.

Hopefully next time out it won't be so soaking wet!! Keep up the good work
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Jurrian is right. Look up the "steering wheel shuffle". It's exactly what he's saying.

I also recently heard a fellow instructor tell a student to always "pull down" on the steering wheel, instead of "pushing up". Never heard it put that way before, but it's spot on, also. Just a different way of saying the same thing.

Basically, as soon as your hands start "pushing" the wheel, it's time to move them so that they're pulling again.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Awesome replies too thanks for sharing!

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
1. You stayed calm, that's the most important.
2. The nannies saved you tail....literally.
3. I would only attend fully instructed events ( instructor sitting next to you) until you have a good 15-20 days under your belt. It might cost more and hurt our ego, but it's the best way to learn.
4. We should all do more skid pad practice when available at track events.
I'm riding mostly with PCA, in order to get to the lowest solo group you REALLY have to prove yourself.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Man that was scary on a thin track but great little 360 and great job at remaining calm. Just take as many parade laps as you need to learn where the puddles are. All the nannies in the world won't keep you safe in a hydroplane situation. I agree with the above recommendation to go and do some auto-x events to learn some some more control and to learn the limits and how to correct when you go over them in this car. Keep enjoying your car! I love to see them used for what they were designed for.

This car is actually very fun in the rain!
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
1. You stayed calm, that's the most important.
2. The nannies saved you tail....literally.
3. I would only attend fully instructed events ( instructor sitting next to you) until you have a good 15-20 days under your belt. It might cost more and hurt our ego, but it's the best way to learn.
4. We should all do more skid pad practice when available at track events.
I'm riding mostly with PCA, in order to get to the lowest solo group you REALLY have to prove yourself.
15-20 days full instruction? That's way overkill
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I think you were close enough with the initial spin, but you were a little hesitant about coping with the snap-spin in the opposite direction and that's when it got away from you.

From the 3rd video . . . let me suggest upshifting a whole lot less harshly. It's not a drag race, and slamming upshifts can and will result in more seat pucker moments should you not be pointed straight ahead. Or even if you are and the morning dew hasn't "burned off" yet, or it's 40°F and your tires haven't warmed up enough.

About the number of instructed days - my guess is "it depends". On things like how much (if any) autocross experience and whether the years of driving experience have taught you to have some feel for what's happening with the car and down at the tires' contact patches once you pick up the pace a little. Some people get signed off to run solo by established HPDE groups much sooner than others. That said, there's no shame in requesting an instructor to ride right seat after you've run solo for any number of events. If nothing else, there's no telling what might suddenly 'click' just from having it described in a different way than you've heard before.

I think you were right to bail on Palmer under significant threat of rain. Every video I've seen is showing me that the penalty for having an "off" is likely to be severe.

This is from an intermediate-level point of view (where I consider myself even though I've been OK'd to run with more advanced guys by a couple of organizations). With autocross experience - and several decades of street time spent learning how to drive smoothly.

Norm
Old 05-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
vangaurdtrooper

Appreciate all the input guys. I'll definitely try out Auto-Cross. I've been to a couple of car control clinic with my older e46 M3, but that had way less torque and did not seem as willing to kill you if you disrespected it.

Question though, I've always heard autocross demands sudden and quick movements of the wheel and throttle which is very different from the track. Is the stigma attached to autocross just a silly myth?

What are the Nannies?