Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
hogwild87

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Procharger vibration/rattling noise during idle

I have this intermittent noise that comes from under the hood that feels like a vibration that transfers from the engine into the cabin and it will only do it in gear at idle, give it any rpm and it goes away. I originally thought it was the pulley making contact with my hood but I've verified that's not it considering it still does it with the hood up. Seems to be more frequent if a/c is running
hogwild87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
JoshuaHyperblue2ss

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
600 miles now on my psc1 I did My self install. I am thinking its normal as I have same vibration only during idle. I have a whine and whistle as well sounds like speaker interference lol however I just know it's the charger I have helica gears. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It reminds me of my old kb cobra same vibration at idle

I do not have any rattle that could be a lose bolt or something. Check your ac lines think if I remember right had to bend mine a little bit and zip tie them away but that was in the instructions
Aesthetics:
15% 3m Tint all around/phastek full blackout kit
Debaged sides, Tinted inner tail lights, Black Bow Ties, 20 Black 5 spoke rims

Last edited by JoshuaHyperblue2ss; 04-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
JoshuaHyperblue2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
hogwild87

Yeah mine is a f-1a non helical cut gears so the procharger noise itself doesn't bother me just the vibration noise. I remember relocating the ac line with the bracket supplied on the driver side. I really think the vibration is originating from the belt itself on the bracket tensioner. Idk if the load on the tensioner just needs adjusting or what but I don't want any belt slip either
Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Johnny45thSS

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild87 View Post
Yeah mine is a f-1a non helical cut gears so the procharger noise itself doesn't bother me just the vibration noise. I remember relocating the ac line with the bracket supplied on the driver side. I really think the vibration is originating from the belt itself on the bracket tensioner. Idk if the load on the tensioner just needs adjusting or what but I don't want any belt slip either
Sounds very familiar
I found that mines had the same vibration that you are referring 2 the belt was 2 tight and the tensioner was rattling and I also was getting vibrations from the air filter making contact with the bar that is connected to the strut base and the firewall.
Johnny45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
hogwild87

I don't have the strut tower brace so I don't believe that would be an issue with my situation but I do believe the belt might be too tight and revurbing back into the tensioner
Old 04-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Johnny45thSS

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Got ya I thought about removing those bars also but I was thinking I lit would affect stability, idk may give it a try without them and see how it handles.
Johnny45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
tireslayer0331

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have the exact same rattling noise, it doesn't bother me so much as my hearing isn't too great(shot too many guns for a living) but it drives my girlfriend insane haha. I contacted procharger and it is a normal noise, it's the lash between the gears when there is no load on them(what the tech told me). The guy who runs the procharger account here said that you can change your tuning on idle to run less timing and lower your torque which may help. I have yet to go to my tuner and try it out.

The exact response I got from Procharger if this helps
"Basically sometimes they will idle at like 18-19 degrees of timing.
If the tuner can lower the TQ and adjust that, you can get the timing down into the 5-10 degree range, and the "rattle" goes away since the engine runs a bit smoother. "
Hope he doesn't mind me sharing this! I'm going to try it out later next month. Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
hogwild87

Thanks for the tip I'll run it by my tuner and see what he thinks
Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
If you have a straight cut gear unit (none helical option)
Then that rattle is pretty normal, to hear the gears loading and unloading.
Since the original poster has an F1A... well that is a "race" gear box, and is pretty loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireslayer0331 View Post

The exact response I got from Procharger if this helps
"Basically sometimes they will idle at like 18-19 degrees of timing.
If the tuner can lower the TQ and adjust that, you can get the timing down into the 5-10 degree range, and the "rattle" goes away since the engine runs a bit smoother. "
That as well can be done. I have gotten some to really really quiet down, with a little tweaking of TQ tables, timing, and idle rpm.

ALSO: Always triple check to make sure you don't have a clamp coming in contact with something, or tube pressing on something. I have seen at least (3) installs now where the customer had the intercooler resting against the AC condenser. (not good, will end up leaking over time) Just a little adjustment of how they mounted it, solved the issue.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
If you have a straight cut gear unit (none helical option)
Then that rattle is pretty normal, to hear the gears loading and unloading.
Since the original poster has an F1A... well that is a "race" gear box, and is pretty loud.

That as well can be done. I have gotten some to really really quiet down, with a little tweaking of TQ tables, timing, and idle rpm.

ALSO: Always triple check to make sure you don't have a clamp coming in contact with something, or tube pressing on something. I have seen at least (3) installs now where the customer had the intercooler resting against the AC condenser. (not good, will end up leaking over time) Just a little adjustment of how they mounted it, solved the issue.
The stage 2 fits pretty tight in there with the supplied brackets, are we supposed to mod the bracket in some way to create a greater gap between the intercooler and the AC condenser? Do you have pics of proper placement vs a bad install? That worm gear clamp at the bottom of the intercooler is terribly close to a hardline. We moved things a bit but it was still pretty damn close.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
hogwild87

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
The stage 2 fits pretty tight in there with the supplied brackets, are we supposed to mod the bracket in some way to create a greater gap between the intercooler and the AC condenser? Do you have pics of proper placement vs a bad install? That worm gear clamp at the bottom of the intercooler is terribly close to a hardline. We moved things a bit but it was still pretty damn close.
Yeah I had to space the crash bar with spacers in order to get the intercooler to not make contact. I think the brackets that came in my kit weren't right but we made them work. And I know what you mean about that ac hardline making contact with the lower inlet and that shitty worm gear clamp didn't work I blew my hose off at the track after one pass, replaced it with a t bolt clamp and no more issues
Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #12
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
Yeah I had to space the crash bar with spacers in order to get the intercooler to not make contact. I think the brackets that came in my kit weren't right but we made them work. And I know what you mean about that ac hardline making contact with the lower inlet and that shitty worm gear clamp didn't work I blew my hose off at the track after one pass, replaced it with a t bolt clamp and no more issues
Do you remember what size your spacer was? Did it make putting the bumper on tougher? effin' A, I may go back and go the spacer route if its going to break the condenser eventually. I figured if it was snug and not moving around that it wouldn't be a big deal.

edit: Just checked through the grille and it doesn't look like they're touching, looks like bending that piece back was enough
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
hogwild87

it was maybe 1/4-1/2 inch not a whole lot but i didn't have any bumper fitment issues. i had more an issue with the pipe coming out the procharger into the intercooler hitting the driver side fender liner
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #14
Garrett52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
it was maybe 1/4-1/2 inch not a whole lot but i didn't have any bumper fitment issues. i had more an issue with the pipe coming out the procharger into the intercooler hitting the driver side fender liner
I'm having this problem too. Did you come up with a solution?
Garrett52 is offline   Reply With Quote