Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Exclamation Automated brake bleed with ACDelco GDS 2?

Is anyone familiar with the automated brake bleed procedure in GDS 2? When I run it it doesn't seem to actually do anything. It just sits there saying "pending" and there is no indication of what to do next. Aside from the dash chiming and telling me that stabilitrack needs servicing, it doesn't seem to touch the ABS module. What am I missing?

Attached Images

Last edited by tecmec; 03-18-2017 at 09:45 PM.
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
tecmec

Bump. It's been a year, but I'm still curious about this. Has anyone ran through this before?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I actually just did this procedure last week successfully and there were obvious messages that came up telling you which corner to bleed. Unfortunately I'm relatively new to this system and haven't used it except for that one time bleeding, but I am wondering:

1) Is the vehicle "keyed" to the run state? Just pushing the button once without the clutch/brake puts the vehicle in accessory power mode, but pushing and holding sets it to run. Run will turn the full dash on and give full access to all of the driver display pages and all of the vehicle settings in the infotainment system, accessory with have some of them as not accessible or grayed out.

2) Are there any available updates to the diagnostics package or GDS software you can download/install?

3) Based on voltage, I'm assuming you're hooked up to a charger, right?

4) Have you tried any other functions through GDS to confirm it's not an issue with the software or the MDI?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
tecmec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I actually just did this procedure last week successfully and there were obvious messages that came up telling you which corner to bleed. Unfortunately I'm relatively new to this system and haven't used it except for that one time bleeding, but I am wondering:

1) Is the vehicle "keyed" to the run state? Just pushing the button once without the clutch/brake puts the vehicle in accessory power mode, but pushing and holding sets it to run. Run will turn the full dash on and give full access to all of the driver display pages and all of the vehicle settings in the infotainment system, accessory with have some of them as not accessible or grayed out.

2) Are there any available updates to the diagnostics package or GDS software you can download/install?

3) Based on voltage, I'm assuming you're hooked up to a charger, right?

4) Have you tried any other functions through GDS to confirm it's not an issue with the software or the MDI?
Thanks for the reply. It has been a year since I have tried it, and I don't currently have a GDS license to try it again. I was hoping to get some feedback before shelling out another $60 for a three day subscription. If it's working for you, I'll probably spend the money and try it again this weekend. Maybe there was an update to GDS to fix this. I'm pretty sure I was doing everything else right last time (keyed to "Run", latest (at the time) software, on a charger (IIRC), and all the other GDS stuff worked fine.)

I'm going to spend the $40 for the Vehicle Programming Software for the modules too. It's good for 24 months of ECU updates now, which it a much better deal that I remember it being before. Maybe there's an update for the ABS module itself that will make this work.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
Thanks for the reply. It has been a year since I have tried it, and I don't currently have a GDS license to try it again. I was hoping to get some feedback before shelling out another $60 for a three day subscription. If it's working for you, I'll probably spend the money and try it again this weekend. Maybe there was an update to GDS to fix this. I'm pretty sure I was doing everything else right last time (keyed to "Run", latest (at the time) software, on a charger (IIRC), and all the other GDS stuff worked fine.)

I'm going to spend the $40 for the Vehicle Programming Software for the modules too. It's good for 24 months of ECU updates now, which it a much better deal that I remember it being before. Maybe there's an update for the ABS module itself that will make this work.
Ok, cool! I might also be able to set it up again this weekend and start the bleed procedure again to at least grab screenshots of what I get on mine, maybe even put a step-by-step thing together with pictures. I'd also suggest trying some different control functions to make sure the MDI can actually control the vehicle. Headlamp high beam control in exterior lighting in the body control module, for example, seems like a pretty safe one to try.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I did this procedure but am not sure of the brand of diagnostic tool we were using. The car made a lot of noise and it told us what to do.

The part I was not clear on was it said hook up a gm brake bleed tool and then just pump the brakes every few seconds. My imagination tells me this tool has a one way valve that connects to where the caliper bleeder is and some method of recycling the fluid back to the master cylinder. Has anyone seem this tool?

We followed the directions other than just bleeding the normal way. Bleeder closed, couple of pumps, hold it, bleeder open, pedal falls, close bleeder and start over.....