Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Thumbs down TR6060 won't go into gear.

I have been having this problem with my transmission for several months now but it has been getting worse and worse. It is not just when the car is cold. It does this all the time and even while moving. Ill be taking the car in tomorrow and update you guys with what the dealer says. This is like the third major thing to go wrong with this car. -.- https://youtu.be/Tg78Jvu0yOY
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Take it to the dealer get them to duplicate the problem or do it for them. If you have already done that I would just stay on them. Mine works good but I don't have many miles as well as I don't drive it in the winter.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Whitemaro6

went to the dealer today and they agree that it is not right. The guy who does trans is not in till Thursday so I have to wait for them to tear it apart :(
Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
How does it do this while moving? Is it just reverse? My car does this when it's cold as well. I'm pretty sure it's the cold and stiff rubber shift boot getting caught on the 5th gear lock out. If you press a little harder you can feel the rubber flexing. I'm not sure what a fix would be, but your trans should be fine. This is why I can't wait for the mgw to come out. I had the same issue but with 5th gear at high rpms on a gt500 and the mgw cured it.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
171LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
went to the dealer today and they agree that it is not right. The guy who does trans is not in till Thursday so I have to wait for them to tear it apart :(
Took mine to the dealer for the same issue plus, crappy shifting in all gears with minor grind/nibble in all...

They said they looked at it but the car never left the parking lot...

Then they gave me the TSB that states everything is normal but whispered to try synthetic fluid. Which pissed me off, there isn't a problem but you suggest changing to a none stock fluid on a brand new vehicle, WTF!!

Very interested in what your dealer has to say...
171LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The shifting on my 1LE was harsh as well, 4 quarts of Royal Purple MAX ATF and it is a lot better.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
171LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The shifting on my 1LE was harsh as well, 4 quarts of Royal Purple MAX ATF and it is a lot better.
I am debating between that and Redline, not sure if either are approved...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
I have been having this problem with my transmission for several months now but it has been getting worse and worse. It is not just when the car is cold. It does this all the time and even while moving. Ill be taking the car in tomorrow and update you guys with what the dealer says. This is like the third major thing to go wrong with this car. -.- https://youtu.be/Tg78Jvu0yOY
Will it easily let you out of a gear and the issue only occurs trying to engage a new gear? If you have trouble getting out and in gears, it suggests to me that your clutch isnt releasing properly. Could be a hydraulic issue or something up with the pressure plate. If the issue is only engaging gears, then it seems like a synchro issue. Do you notice any difference with and without rev matching? Also, specifically for your reverse issue, some transmissions can be a bit finicky with reverse. Try engaging first then reverse and see if that helps. Or blip the throttle then try engaging reverse. My old S2000, for instance, was notorious for this sort of thing... at least the early ones.

By the way, I would not automatically encourage using a synthetic oil in your trans without looking into it carefully. My experience doing so on various manual transmissions has been decidedly mixed. The differences in the fluid can cause their own funkiness in how the synchros work and can cause grinding and other balkyness in the gear engagement. I have no experience with TR6060 but I am sure there is plenty of information available about it.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
171LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
Will it easily let you out of a gear and the issue only occurs trying to engage a new gear? If you have trouble getting out and in gears, it suggests to me that your clutch isnt releasing properly. Could be a hydraulic issue or something up with the pressure plate. If the issue is only engaging gears, then it seems like a synchro issue. Do you notice any difference with and without rev matching? Also, specifically for your reverse issue, some transmissions can be a bit finicky with reverse. Try engaging first then reverse and see if that helps. Or blip the throttle then try engaging reverse. My old S2000, for instance, was notorious for this sort of thing... at least the early ones.

By the way, I would not automatically encourage using a synthetic oil in your trans without looking into it carefully. My experience doing so on various manual transmissions has been decidedly mixed. The differences in the fluid can cause their own funkiness in how the synchros work and can cause grinding and other balkyness in the gear engagement. I have no experience with TR6060 but I am sure there is plenty of information available about it.

Their is a lot of information out there on the TR6060, it is used all over the place....

That being said the main complaints about the transmission are noticed when cold.
Cold Transmission Complaints
Notchy/clunky
Failure to engage in different gears (forward and reverse)
Buzzing/humming sounds
Grinding or nibbling when entering gears

The only solutions that I have heard of, have been:

1. Synthetic Fluid
2. Upgraded transmission parts (synchros, shifter, etc..)

The dealer threw a TSB (stating it is normal) at me and told me to switch to synthetic, I took it in for failure to shift into reverse. So now I park in reverse...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Whitemaro6

Im taking it in Monday but I sent the video to the dealer and they agree it is not right. I also feel that the clutch either has an air bubble in it or is not disengaging the plates all the way and the computer is telling the trans to keep the gate closed. I drove the car today on a warm day for a while and it still clunked into second. The rev match dose not seem to effect anything as down shifting was never the problem its up shifting that is giving me problems and it is getting worse.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
Whitemaro6

Listen up guys! Just got back from the dealer and the vet tech said it sounds like the fork is bad and that he had 5 cars last week same trans same problem! So now they are going to tear apart my trans and replace the fork :(
Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Whitemaro6

Update: parts are ordered and GM is replacing second gear entirely. New gear, synchros, bearings, seals ect... I have a feeling it may need new fork pads too but well see when its opened up next week. I'm so jealous of the guys who have had 0 problems. Mine has been one thing after the other and not little stuff either!.... sigh. never again

P.s. while also at my dealer there was a black ss getting it's rear end replaced as well.. Apparently mine was the first the dealer had, now they get them all the time. :(
Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Hopefully you get all the bugs out, I'm sure your fusturated I have been in your shoes before, 02 olds alero had crazy problems but eventually I got them all out and drove it for over 10 years as a winter beater all problems happened before 60k I sold it at 300k to a friend he went another 60k and sold it again. 300,000 problem free general maintenance first (60,000) transmission,manifold head gasket,9 wheel bearings installer error mostly, 2 fuse boxes, map sensor.

Hang in there should come together!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Well that may explain my harsh 1st to 2nd gear shift I have right now. If it doesn't get any better I may have the dealer check it out.

Already found that one of the rear wheels was damaged at the factory when they mounted the tire up so I need to get that addressed as well.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote