Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
camarocid

Drives: Chevy Truck
SS Daily Driver?

I made a thread earlier about deciding between 5th/6th gen, and after seeing in person I've decided on a 6th gen. I like the body style of 5th gen more, but everything else about 6th. Especially the interior.

So now I've decided on a new SS or maybe a used with under 10k miles if I can find a deal.

My question is: is this car a good daily driver? I would be putting 10,000-15,000 miles on it a year.

How long will these cars last, assuming they're really taken care of and not run too hard? I'd love to (eventually) get a beater DD and turn this into a project car, but that could be as many as 5-10 years. Is that realistic?

Any input on people DD a car like this is VERY WELCOME. I realize that DD exposes it to more chances for wrecks, road debris, etc I definitely get that. But my questions are just "normal wear and tear."

Also, would cloth or leather be more durable? In my old Silverado I liked the cloth but it ended up with gross sweat stains lol.
camarocid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
For a DD, my 2SS has been fantastic. The cooled and heated leather seats with the heated steering wheel make a large difference while the car is getting up to temp when it's cold outside. Fuel economy on the highway has touched 32mpg with the manual transmission, but in bumper to bumper DC traffic during the worst parts of my short commute, it drops to 9mpg.

I'd say you could safely bank on 15-20mpg for around town driving that isn't start/stop repeatedly....depending where you are in South Carolina, you may get mid 20's!

The creature comforts of the 2SS are worth it, IMO if you plan on daily driving the car. The radar systems make up for the lack of visibility in a big way that just a reverse camera and keeping your fingers crossed will not.

Once you decide its time to track the car, you have one of the best platforms under $100k to start with.

I came from a ton of german cars and while the Camaro isn't *quite* as quiet, solid, or nice inside....it's content for the money make it exceptional.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
I use mine as DD and love it! My daily treat, makes every commute enjoyable. Ive gotten as high as 20mph city driving the 1-4 shift and 6th gear on roads 55+ in my 2SS
Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
camarocid

Thanks for the input guys. To Bowtierocket that's exactly what I'm hoping for. I have a solid drive each way to and from work, so this is going to be my moments to look forward to.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Lasting power of a car like a Gen 6?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
I daily drive it also..... I average 17-18 mpg mixed use. I park in the lower 40 at work, and garage it at night. I imagine because I don't really let it get dirty, cover the windshield and change oil every 4,000 miles, it should last a very long time. Best part is, if I had a crappy day it's instantly fixed by slipping into that drivers seat and pressing that button
Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocid View Post
Thanks for the input guys. To Bowtierocket that's exactly what I'm hoping for. I have a solid drive each way to and from work, so this is going to be my moments to look forward to.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Lasting power of a car like a Gen 6?
Oh something else to consider...these cars are built by the same crew that builds the Cadillac ATS. Same line, same day too. Squeaks and rattles don't exist on the 6th gen very much and I think a large part of that is the assembly team in Michigan used to Cadillac standards.

Everything else should last a long time....there haven't been any serious mechanical issues to report yet.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
The SS is a great daily driver. It's also great for road trips. The car rides really nicely and mine does not have MRC. However, I would say both the 1LE and ZL1 are not as good for DD. The first for a harder ride, and the second for both the harder ride and high fuel consumption.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I use mine as a DD, but I work from home most of the time so my actual driving is limited. I will say the 2SS with the A8 is a great commuter for our area of the country. The one thing you should be aware of is the tires. They are a summer tire and below 45 degrees have compromised traction. They also become brittle which will lead to faster wear if you routinely drive in those kind of temps. Granted we don't have as big a problem with those temps down here as compared to the MW or NE states, but these tires already don't have much treadlife. So driving in cold conditions frequently could wear them out sooner than you would think.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
camarocid

Thanks very much guys. Maybe I should mention: I do have a city commute but am still considering manual because it didn't ever bother me on my old 6 speed Acura. I'm not worried about MPG at all, because I drive a big truck at the moment.

Love the $.02 everyone is providing.... greatly appreciated!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I daily drive mine with two kids. I love every minute of it. I've played the game where I try to "save" my sports cars for certain days/certain weather, etc., but life is just too short. Drive it, and enjoy it! My wife even commented on how comfortable the car is.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #11
camarocid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboynamedsue View Post
I daily drive mine with two kids. I love every minute of it. I've played the game where I try to "save" my sports cars for certain days/certain weather, etc., but life is just too short. Drive it, and enjoy it! My wife even commented on how comfortable the car is.
How's she holding up with the kiddos? Kids are in my future lol
Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have a 23 mile drive each way to work and back every day, and my two previous cars I've put over 100,000 miles on each. I have no fear of doing the same with my Camaro. Love driving this car. Love, love, love, love, love it!

Just do the scheduled maintenance and you'll be find. GM has always done big engines well. Their small engines can be questionable, but when it comes to the V6 and V8 you will get many years and miles out of them just following the maintenance.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Oh something else to consider...these cars are built by the same crew that builds the Cadillac ATS. Same line, same day too. Squeaks and rattles don't exist on the 6th gen very much and I think a large part of that is the assembly team in Michigan used to Cadillac standards.
My 6th gen has more squeaks and rattles in 5 months of ownership than my 5th gen did in 5 years.

I'm not alone either if you search the forums. I've fixed most of them but I have something rubbing, squeaking under the car that is driving me absolutely nuts.

That said. I daily my 6th right now. 50 miles a day. Love it. On my commute I usually average 21.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
The SS is a great daily driver. It's also great for road trips. The car rides really nicely and mine does not have MRC. However, I would say both the 1LE and ZL1 are not as good for DD. The first for a harder ride, and the second for both the harder ride and high fuel consumption.
Who told you the 1LE has a harsher ride and worse fuel consumption? Both are far from the truth. I DD my 1LE with no issues at all and get almost 20mpg on a 30c/70h mix. The ride is perfect in Sport mode for me, if a person wanted a softer ride they could go into Tour mode and soften it up some.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote