#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
A10 Owner Review

Brought home our Hyper Blue A10 last night and I have to say, everyone that has said "pictures don't do these cars justice" were right. They look killer in person! Even the wheels! The first time I saw a pic of the new ZL1 and the wheels they chose, I have to admit....I was pretty disappointed. I had really hoped they would use the 1LE wheels or something similar. Now that I have the car, I'm not sure I want to change the wheels like I was thinking about doing. The design is really classy and sophisticated looking. Some of that may be due to the color, which I really love in person! The entire car is like that. It looks and feels like it's on par with Vettes and Cadillacs. It's that good! Fit and finish, materials, the feel of the car while driving, is all top notch.

Now for what most have been waiting for. The A10. One word. Awesome!! Ok.....I'll elaborate a bit. In full auto, it is unbelievable! Push the go fast pedal enough to ask for a downshift, and the exhaust let's out a ferocious blatant and nearly instantly the tranny drops several gears and you are snapped back into the seat. Each upshift comes quick and very smooth......at least at the throttle levels I operated in on my hour and half break-in journey home....3/4 - 1/2 on my acceleration pulls. In anything less than track mode, soon after you let off, the tranny upshifts silky smooth, ready to cruise. Track Mode is a different story. If you mash the gas enough to ask for a downshift, it will hold that gear seemingly endlessly. You almost have to completely let off the throttle and just ease back into it with a leisurely cruising foot before it will say "ok, you're not racing anymore" and will upshift into the highest gear for your speed.

And now for the most anticipated part of the A10 review. Manual Mode. I have to say, the videos of the A10 shifting nearly instantaneous from the paddles is true to life. By the time you let the paddle return to its normal position, the gear has changed. You can count your shifts up or down if you'd like to shift multiple gears yourself, and by the time you are done clicking 3 or 4 times as fast as you can, you've shifted that many gears. Really cool! I did most of this testing on the interstate at 70 to 80 mph, so I didn't get to really test the multi-gear downshift performed by holding the - paddle. I did try it a bit. My first several attempts resulted in it only dropping one gear. Then I managed to get it to work, and it must've dropped into 3rd gear. I was rolling around 80mph when I did it and the revs jumped to around 5000 and I immediately up shifted as I was trying to keep the RPM below 4000 like the break-in calls for. I'm pretty sure when it happened I not only was holding the - paddle, but I also stepped on the gas, so it may take a couple of things to happen in order for it to drop 6 or 7 gears using this method. I will test that further tomorrow on our way to my sister's house. The best part about manual mode, especially how it relates to road course racing, is that the A10 will hold whatever gear you put it in, no matter what. Well, except for maybe slowing to a speed that the gear can't would try to stall the engine. Another thing I will have to test, as I didn't think to try it to see what would happen. I'm sure it will downshift one gear at a time, but I'll find out. I did try a decently amount of throttle in 10th and it never downshifted! I tried that in several gears. It would just hold that gear. No automatically downshifting for you. Of course I didn't get to see what would happen if you held it to the rev limiter, but other cars I've driven with paddles wouldn't upshift, so I'm betting this one won't either. Something I'll try after I've reached the break-in mark.

Another hot topic concerning the A10 is fuel mileage. Though I didn't get any averages because I'd be way on the low side with the nearly constant accelerating and decelerating I did on the trip, I did hold it steady at 80mph on a level section of road, and the instantaneous mileage held steady at 26 mpg. So this tells me I was right about the fuel mileage potential of this Auto car. It will do way better than rated.

Hope this answers a few questions for all the curious souls out there. I know I was curious and still have many more curiosities to fulfill such as track times, but those will have to wait for now. Any questions feel free to ask. I will update this thread as I play and test some more.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Video commentary please!
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
17ZL1

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Gray Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Brought home our Hyper Blue A10 last night and I have to say, everyone that has said "pictures don't do these cars justice" were right. They look killer in person! Even the wheels! The first time I saw a pic of the new ZL1 and the wheels they chose, I have to admit....I was pretty disappointed. I had really hoped they would use the 1LE wheels or something similar. Now that I have the car, I'm not sure I want to change the wheels like I was thinking about doing. The design is really classy and sophisticated looking. Some of that may be due to the color, which I really love in person! The entire car is like that. It looks and feels like it's on par with Vettes and Cadillacs. It's that good! Fit and finish, materials, the feel of the car while driving, is all top notch.

Now for what most have been waiting for. The A10. One word. Awesome!! Ok.....I'll elaborate a bit. In full auto, it is unbelievable! Push the go fast pedal enough to ask for a downshift, and the exhaust let's out a ferocious blatant and nearly instantly the tranny drops several gears and you are snapped back into the seat. Each upshift comes quick and very smooth......at least at the throttle levels I operated in on my hour and half break-in journey home....3/4 - 1/2 on my acceleration pulls. In anything less than track mode, soon after you let off, the tranny upshifts silky smooth, ready to cruise. Track Mode is a different story. If you mash the gas enough to ask for a downshift, it will hold that gear seemingly endlessly. You almost have to completely let off the throttle and just ease back into it with a leisurely cruising foot before it will say "ok, you're not racing anymore" and will upshift into the highest gear for your speed.

And now for the most anticipated part of the A10 review. Manual Mode. I have to say, the videos of the A10 shifting nearly instantaneous from the paddles is true to life. By the time you let the paddle return to its normal position, the gear has changed. You can count your shifts up or down if you'd like to shift multiple gears yourself, and by the time you are done clicking 3 or 4 times as fast as you can, you've shifted that many gears. Really cool! I did most of this testing on the interstate at 70 to 80 mph, so I didn't get to really test the multi-gear downshift performed by holding the - paddle. I did try it a bit. My first several attempts resulted in it only dropping one gear. Then I managed to get it to work, and it must've dropped into 3rd gear. I was rolling around 80mph when I did it and the revs jumped to around 5000 and I immediately up shifted as I was trying to keep the RPM below 4000 like the break-in calls for. I'm pretty sure when it happened I not only was holding the - paddle, but I also stepped on the gas, so it may take a couple of things to happen in order for it to drop 6 or 7 gears using this method. I will test that further tomorrow on our way to my sister's house. The best part about manual mode, especially how it relates to road course racing, is that the A10 will hold whatever gear you put it in, no matter what. Well, except for maybe slowing to a speed that the gear can't would try to stall the engine. Another thing I will have to test, as I didn't think to try it to see what would happen. I'm sure it will downshift one gear at a time, but I'll find out. I did try a decently amount of throttle in 10th and it never downshifted! I tried that in several gears. It would just hold that gear. No automatically downshifting for you. Of course I didn't get to see what would happen if you held it to the rev limiter, but other cars I've driven with paddles wouldn't upshift, so I'm betting this one won't either. Something I'll try after I've reached the break-in mark.

Another hot topic concerning the A10 is fuel mileage. Though I didn't get any averages because I'd be way on the low side with the nearly constant accelerating and decelerating I did on the trip, I did hold it steady at 80mph on a level section of road, and the instantaneous mileage held steady at 26 mpg. So this tells me I was right about the fuel mileage potential of this Auto car. It will do way better than rated.

Hope this answers a few questions for all the curious souls out there. I know I was curious and still have many more curiosities to fulfill such as track times, but those will have to wait for now. Any questions feel free to ask. I will update this thread as I play and test some more.
Super Job!
17ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
Thanks for the update, The more I read the more I want mine to hurry up and arrive. Congrats on the car and enjoy...

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
AWESOME! Please keep us updated as a lot of us are dying for real world info on these A10s.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
TDS

Drives: 2019 Jeep Rubicon Sold:2017 ZL1 A10
Thank you for the info! All of us still waiting are living through you right now.
Please keep sharing.
Ordered 2/11, 2000 2/14, 3000 2/20, 3100 2/24, 3300 3/7, 3400 3/8, 4300 3/16, 4B00 3/21 Bayed at train yard in Ohio, 4200 3/26 All Abroad for the West Coast, 4800 4/4 Deliverd to portland train yard, 5000 4/7 3:00AM Deliverd to Dealer, 6000 4/7 6:45PM Delivered to Customer
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
I appreciate the updates. This is so fantastic news to hear that all the hype GM and Al O has put behind this A10 is delivering in real life. My car gets built next week and I will be extatic when she arrives!

Thanks so much for sharing !!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Thank you for sharing. The A10 sounds like it is amazing. Given that all of the other tests (with manual shift lag) where on preproduction versions, your review is encouraging.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
Jasp

Drives: 2017 NFG ZL1 A10/NAV/PDR/CF hood/SR

Very nice job keep the updates coming!
Jasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Awesome! Hey, so have you tried putting the shifter in the +/- gate and use that to shift at all? I'd like to know your thoughts on that.

Congrats!
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Thank you so much!
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Awesome! Hey, so have you tried putting the shifter in the +/- gate and use that to shift at all? I'd like to know your thoughts on that.

Congrats!
I would also like to know this as well as I believe this would be a better experience I would think than using the paddle shifters?

When you get a chance post a few shots of the beast. Glad to know you are loving the A10...now hurry up with the break in so you can really drive her...ha ha!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks for the very well writen up. We all appreciate the info. If you could keep accurate fuel mileage, I would appreciate it. I just can't see the A10 getting worse mileage than the manual.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Great write up, waiting to hear more from extended use and PDR videos.