Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
t-ray

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
MRC - maintenance / life expectancy of components

Hi guys first post, and I'm not sure if this needs to go in suspension or maintenance. I'm considering a 1SS 1LE, and before I take the plunge I'd like to get an idea on what various pieces are going to cost me down the road.

I've never had a car with MRC - in fact, this will be my first GM since an 02 Avalanche. But I was curious how long the various components within the suspension will typically last. Do the dampers need to be replaced more or less frequently than standard dampers? What do replacement OE dampers typically run?

I know GM has offered mag dampers/suspension for several years now, so there's got to be some data available, but my google-fu hasn't turned up anything.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
I was interested in this cost as well so i did a bit of research and IIRC the replacement mag ride dampers are almost 800.00 each where the stock shocks are about 150.00

All i do know is that all shocks will ineveitably fail (shaft seals) and have to either be rebullt or replaced so i didnt make mag ride a priority for purchase when the 2ss i bought had everything but that.

I'm going to go for a nice set of adjustable/rebuildable coil overs... then i can tune the handling and the ride height exactly the way i want it.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
megaphone

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
subbed as I am curious as well.
megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
My experience with mag ride shocks is generally 75k miles. How the newer ones will work ???

I have a customer with an Avalanche with the earlier mags... 4 yr old vehicle. She complained of the ride, said it wasn't the same. I thought it rode fine, but she insisted on changing them out, so we did. She swears it rides better again. The vehicle has about 65K miles.

I can't help but think having metal bits floating around is bound to wear something.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Both front dampers are 800$ delivered. Both rear dampers are 600$ delivered. Compared to standard strut/shocks costing 300$ front or rear, comparatively, it isn't a crazy amount more.

If you wanted to replace all 4 at the same time you're looking at 800$ more for MRC replacements, which sounds like a lot, but it is not 800$ per corner.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Both front dampers are 800$ delivered. Both rear dampers are 600$ delivered. Compared to standard strut/shocks costing 300$ front or rear, comparatively, it isn't a crazy amount more.

If you wanted to replace all 4 at the same time you're looking at 800$ more for MRC replacements, which sounds like a lot, but it is not 800$ per corner.
I don't know where you get $300 for non MRC struts, I just checked

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/auto-par...omponents-scat

and the fronts at $91 ea. all day long and the rears are just shocks, $152 for the right (?) and $95 for the left. As the A/M gets going, their prices will be more competitive for the non MRC parts. From experience, the Monroe mag replacement is a re-boxed GM so there really isn't much savings.

I don't know why the difference is so great on the rears, GMs drop kit doesn't label them differently. The MRC rear shocks are # separately but the cost is the same $264. The fronts are $371 ea.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
megaphone

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
I don't know where you get $300 for non MRC struts, I just checked

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/auto-par...omponents-scat

and the fronts at $91 ea. all day long and the rears are just shocks, $152 for the right (?) and $95 for the left. As the A/M gets going, their prices will be more competitive for the non MRC parts. From experience, the Monroe mag replacement is a re-boxed GM so there really isn't much savings.

I don't know why the difference is so great on the rears, GMs drop kit doesn't label them differently. The MRC rear shocks are # separately but the cost is the same $264. The fronts are $371 ea.
That's really not too bad tbh. When I hit 50k miles I will just start putting money aside each month so when the time does come to replace them I wont be poor
megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
t-ray

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks so much.

$800 for the front axle isn't too much. A set of koni yellows for my current car will run $700 for all corners. I can definitely tolerate that price.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The MRC struts are designed to run more than 100,000 miles and still function like new. The two wire system does not overheat on track. They are impressive.

FYI - on the 6th Gen ZLE they are using DSSV by Multimatic and not MRC.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
PWPhoto

Drives: ‘21 2SS 1LE
I have a ‘17 50th Anniversary Edition SS with MRC. My car has 104k miles on it. I can tell a little difference in the ride now, but am wondering what route to go on shocks and struts. My biggest thing is I had to have some front end damage fixed and the dealership I had the work done at had to do some right front suspension work. The car hasn’t handled quite right since. I’m wondering if they did anything to the MRC system or if they replaced parts without using the MRC compatible parts. I’ve had the alignment checked two different times by different shops. The alignment is right. Any suggestions or recommendations?
PWPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote