Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Oil smell when stopped or stopping

Something that has just happened within the last week, car is almost 1yr. old and about 12k miles. When coming to a stop after driving for while, I'm getting an oil smell inside the cabin, very faint. I've searched the forum and a thread comes up but that's after folks have installed a catch can. My 2SS is bone stock, A8, NPP, no mods whatsoever. To try and figure out where it might be coming from; after I get home I pop the hood and sniff around and it seems to be noticeable on the passenger side of the engine, but there is no oil on the garage floor or anywhere on the engine or oil pan, and no visible leaks anywhere. I've checked the outside of the dipstick tube and it is clean from top to bottom. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen or if any other ideas where to look?? Strange that doesn't smell while driving but only after coming to a stop.

Last edited by nancygrl; 02-27-2017 at 01:31 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Did you just change your oil?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Did you just change your oil?
Not really, that was 2 months and 2k miles ago, and this just popped up a week ago when I was driving to Raleigh and hit some stop-go traffic. We'll put it up on the ramps again and give another look around underneath. One of the things I miss from my 5th gen is the ample room in the engine bay to see and get to most everything.

Last edited by nancygrl; 02-27-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I get this sometimes. My car is bone stock as well. Same as you. faint but noticable on and off when I am coming to a stop or stopped. My oil level has already been good and when I was under the car looking when I put on my track day items I didn't see any signs of dripping oil. I'm a bit stumped but not worried. Figured it was something to do with the LT1 and how they get oil back to the crankcase or something.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Stumped but not worried is definitely the right phrase for it, oil level is spot on and getting super gas mileage. Guess I'll just keep an eye on everything and unless a visible leak presents itself I won't worry too much about it. It reminds me of my '96 Trans-Am where those LT motors developed a tiny oil leak at the back of the intake manifold; except that was visible just nearly impossible to get to how those engines were shoe-horned into the engine bay.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Stumped but not worried is definitely the right phrase for it, oil level is spot on and getting super gas mileage. Guess I'll just keep an eye on everything unless something presents itself. It reminds me of my '96 Trans-Am where those LT motors developed a tiny oil leak at the back of the intake manifold; except that was visible just nearly impossible to get to how those engines were shoe-horned into the engine bay.
Yeah I'm very familiar with those old LT1 rear main seal and intake manifold leaks.

I forgot to mention that I've had my oil changed twice and it has shown up on and off and it doesn't seem to matter if the oil was just changed or not.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Wondering if are all the hoses and hose connections are good on the factory clean side oil separator? The black box located on the passengers side of the engine.

Just for giggles, is the PCV connection tube connected properly and the dipstick seal good as well?
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
G-10

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Oil smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Something that has just happened within the last week, car is almost 1yr. old and about 12k miles. When coming to a stop after driving for while, I'm getting an oil smell inside the cabin, very faint. I've searched the forum and a thread comes up but that's after folks have installed a catch can. My 2SS is bone stock, A8, NPP, no mods whatsoever. To try and figure out where it might be coming from; after I get home I pop the hood and sniff around and it seems to be noticeable on the passenger side of the engine, but there is no oil on the garage floor or anywhere on the engine or oil pan, and no visible leaks anywhere. I've checked the outside of the dipstick tube and it is clean from top to bottom. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen or if any other ideas where to look?? Strange that doesn't smell while driving but only after coming to a stop.
I have same car: 2SS, A8, NPP. I received a recall letter from GM re transmission oil cooling lines coming in contact and possibly leaking. Have you brought your's in for this. Tranny oil leaking on hot surface could cause that smell.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
Wondering if are all the hoses and hose connections are good on the factory clean side oil separator? The black box located on the passengers side of the engine.

Just for giggles, is the PCV connection tube connected properly and the dipstick seal good as well?
As far as I can tell...I took all them off and reseated them and they're on their connections properly. What I may do just for piece of mind is get 2 new dipstick o-rings and change them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-10 View Post
I have same car: 2SS, A8, NPP. I received a recall letter from GM re transmission oil cooling lines coming in contact and possibly leaking. Have you brought your's in for this. Tranny oil leaking on hot surface could cause that smell.
Yeppers...I had the recall done Jan. 3rd.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #10
Max RS

Drives: 2016 SS AT
I have that same faint oil smell. I have noticed it several times since purchasing my 2SS when slowing or stopping. I'm at 3300 miles and cannot find any oil leaks. I have not done anything to my engine or drivetrain. I did change my oil at 1500 miles but had the smell prior to the change and a few times since the change.
2016 2SS AT
Max RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Well, if any of you decide to take it in let us know what it ended up being. Like mentioned above I have the exact same issue.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
nancygrl
雪の玉

I'm going to put it back on the ramps tonight and try and get a better look underneath again...if not I'll bring it in next Friday when I'm off.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Glad i'm not the only one who notices this. I have the opposite tho I get a faint oil smell when hard accelerating. Been doing it since I got the car and oil pressure and level stays consistent so I figure its normal. I was wondering about it but this puts me at ease.
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Have the same smell since new. I have 7200 miles now and haven't smelled lately but I'm sure it will be back. All is normal as far as no leaks no oil quantity loss etc...
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote