Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
MagnaFlow Catback (19265) Drone Issue

So I just installed the MagnaFlow Catback (19265) with the AFM & NPP valves and when I started it up it sounded great, had a nice deep tone. When I pulled out of the garage it sounded great, but when I decelerated there was a lot of drone, especially down in the low RPMs.

Not sure what other options have a better sound than the stock NPP without the terrible drone the MagnaFlow has. Anyone out there have the MagnaFlow and don't have bad drone? Maybe one of the AFM valves are stuck closed or something else went wrong with the install because the car did throw a code so I'll need to look into that?

Are there any other options out there as an axleback that I can hook up to my midpipes so I don't have to buy another full catback. I've run Corsas before and they had a great sound with no drone.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Most exhaust system drones.. some just drone more than others. Is your system NPP compatible? I sat in a SS with Competition Magnaflows and it def. droned. The thing is, the system didn't utilize the NPP bypass valves so there was no difference from Stealth to Track.

Does yours drone with Stealth/Tour as well? If it does then the system doesn't have the bypass valves in one of the tips.

What you can do, install a J-pipe to cut down on the drone.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=102075&page=3
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
gdgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Most exhaust system drones.. some just drone more than others. Is your system NPP compatible? I sat in a SS with Competition Magnaflows and it def. droned. The thing is, the system didn't utilize the NPP bypass valves so there was no difference from Stealth to Track.

Does yours drone with Stealth/Tour as well? If it does then the system doesn't have the bypass valves in one of the tips.

What you can do, install a J-pipe to cut down on the drone.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=102075&page=3
I do have the NPP but there is almost no sound difference, at least I didn't notice any from inside the car. It drones just as bad with the valves closed as it did open.

When the valves are closed there is a hole in the center of the flap and it doesn't look like it seals well.

Thanks for the link to the J-pipe! Makes sense how that would work, any ideas on what that would cost to have a shop install? I'm thinking about swapping out with Corsa since I've had them before and I didn't have drone issues and from what I've read here people say they don't drone as bad as MagnaFlow.

I'm also curious why the car is throwing a code after the install, the NPP works fine, so only other thing I can think of is something wrong with the AFM valves. I wonder if when I installed them they were closed and now they are opposite from what the car think it is when it goes from V8 to V4... not sure if that would change anything with the drone though.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Richard0nee

Yeah, shops will usually charge anywhere from $120 to $180.. a 28" J-pipe will def. cut the drone down. Sorry man, the Magnaflow is an expensive system and they should have made it really compatible with NPP. Any system that is really compatible with NPP, you can def. hear the difference between Stealth/Tour vs Sport/Track. The one I sat in, was over $2k and there was no difference between the selected modes.

Magnaflow usually have a boomy, deep tone and is the opposite of Corsa since Corsa is much more raspier and louder. The Corsa will drone a bit but not as bad as Magnaflows. Either way, having NPP gives us the option to tone the note down..

If I was in your shoes, I would get the J-pipes installed to where the drone is bearable.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I ran that garbage for two days. It's so droney and boomy is basically ruined the car for me. It's a worse case scenario - race car loud inside but take outside. It makes no sense. And it's definitely NPP compatible, but there is like 5% difference between the modes. I sold it and went with a Corsa, that isn't NPP compatible and it's literally night and day.

I've ran Magnaflow on a lot of my cars and trucks over the years - it's impossible to me be disappointed than I was in this system.
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
gdgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Yeah, shops will usually charge anywhere from $120 to $180.. a 28" J-pipe will def. cut the drone down. Sorry man, the Magnaflow is an expensive system and they should have made it really compatible with NPP. Any system that is really compatible with NPP, you can def. hear the difference between Stealth/Tour vs Sport/Track. The one I sat in, was over $2k and there was no difference between the selected modes.

Magnaflow usually have a boomy, deep tone and is the opposite of Corsa since Corsa is much more raspier and louder. The Corsa will drone a bit but not as bad as Magnaflows. Either way, having NPP gives us the option to tone the note down..

If I was in your shoes, I would get the J-pipes installed to where the drone is bearable.
Wow, I can't believe it's under $200 to install two J pipes, that may not be a bad option, just not sure by how much it would cut the drone down on this system. I definitely love the way the exhaust sounds from the outside when I remote started but the drone inside is outta control.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Richard0nee

The one I sat in sounded exactly like the video below. Well, different strokes for different folks and if you like the sound it makes, keep it. It's not bad, it's just different. I feel that it gave it an artificial sound instead of enhancing the engines natural sound.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
gdgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
I ran that garbage for two days. It's so droney and boomy is basically ruined the car for me. It's a worse case scenario - race car loud inside but take outside. It makes no sense. And it's definitely NPP compatible, but there is like 5% difference between the modes. I sold it and went with a Corsa, that isn't NPP compatible and it's literally night and day.

I've ran Magnaflow on a lot of my cars and trucks over the years - it's impossible to me be disappointed than I was in this system.
I've had a Corsa before and I liked the sound, it just sucks that there's no NPP option, only similar axle back with NPP is the Borla. How much louder would you say the Corsa Race series is compared to stock? Is it bareable for a daily driver since you can't change the mode?

I saw your other post about the flow master xpipe and how it matched up perfectly with the Corsa. What made you go with that brand for the x pipe, was it just because it was the closest to the shape you needed to match up with the Corsas? I wish I could just do the set up you did except I'd lose my AFM valves and NPP valves.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
What is this drone you guys speak of?
I don't have that problem with my borla atak. I strongly recommend making the switch. If the atak is too aggresive, the s-type may be what you want.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
gdgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
What is this drone you guys speak of?
I don't have that problem with my borla atak. I strongly recommend making the switch. If the atak is too aggresive, the s-type may be what you want.
I'm currently trying to work a deal out on an S-type, only because I may consider daily driving the car in the future. Does yours have the NPP? If it does I'm curious if there's a huge difference with the valves closed.

If I end up going this route I will need to use my stock mid-section since the Magnaflow was a cat back, but if all works out I should break even if I can sell the Magnaflow for what I bought it for.