Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
2Fast4U2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Camaro Engine

Does anyone know where are Camaro engines are built at?
2Fast4U2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
KMSRS2SS
I lurk

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Canada I believe, but will know more detail after Ultimate factories airs tomorrow!
KMSRS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
St. Catharines Engine Plant
Ontario, CA

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Ontario, CA
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
ralyrat

Drives: RS/SS Vector Tuned Kooks Roto
Watch Nat Geo tonight...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
You know, it's really ironic, I purchased a Chevy with the idea that I was supporting U.S. jobs and thought I was doing my part in helping the economy. Well, no offense to our good friends to the north and south, but after taking delivery I find out that the Camaro is built in Canada, with a Mexican transmission. I was hoping that at least the engine was made here in the good 'ol U.S. but now I find out IT's also Canadian. Oh, well, so much for good intensions!

By the way, great job all you Canadian workers up there in Oshawa! Thanks for a great product!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
You know, it's really ironic, I purchased a Chevy with the idea that I was supporting U.S. jobs and thought I was doing my part in helping the economy. Well, no offense to our good friends to the north and south, but after taking delivery I find out that the Camaro is built in Canada, with a Mexican transmission. I was hoping that at least the engine was made here in the good 'ol U.S. but now I find out IT's also Canadian. Oh, well, so much for good intensions!

By the way, great job all you Canadian workers up there in Oshawa! Thanks for a great product!
And you woke up and saw that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for ???? Welcome to the real world...
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Rikarus
I can't tpye!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Victory Red
Is it true that every Camaro engine does time on an engine stand before going to assembly? I would be instersted in seeing the engine build and test process alone, gotta catch that show, thank the gods for TiVo.
Rikarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Styffydawg
SSinister

Drives: Ram SS/T + Murdered Out 2SS/RS
Canada and the US might as well be the same country. I don't want to step on Canadian toes but I think of my Canadian friends as my fellow countrymen, in the same manner they think of me.

It's a good relationship, what's good for Canada is usually good for us!

SSinister
Styffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Ontario, CA
Lol thats about right american muscle built in canada :(
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcam View Post
And you woke up and saw that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for ???? Welcome to the real world...
LOL! I love my canadian buddies butt I do agree on the obama thing ??? whoever made that decision needs
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood View Post
LOL! I love my canadian buddies butt I do agree on the obama thing ??? whoever made that decision needs
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post

You still are. The designers were American as were many of the engineers, much of the testing was done in the US, some components and subassembly is done in the US, and ultimately the profits go back to Detroit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You still are. The designers were American as were many of the engineers, much of the testing was done in the US, some components and subassembly is done in the US, and ultimately the profits go back to Detroit.
You are correct. I have included excerpts from CNN Money.com:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/12/auto..._car/index.htm
In part the article states: "buying a Ford or General Motors car is still better for the American economy and for American workers, even if the particular vehicle you're buying was built in Mexico, Canada or Korea, because American car companies make more cars and employ more workers in the United States than do automakers based in other countries.

It goes on: The largest chunk of Asian auto companies design, research and development operations still take place in Japan. On the other hand, most of the profit the domestic auto makers get from selling cars supports their overall operations, which remain centered in the United States, helping them survive, grow stronger, and develop new products.

Also Ford and GM and Chrysler, by far, use more American-made parts in their cars, the Camry vs. Fusion example notwithstanding.

As for the Obama comment. What a strange time we live in when some of us feel ashamed and critical of our President because he is so admired and that the people of the rest of the world look up to us for inspiration and leadership.
Alfie