Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
engineer2012

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS
How to make 2016 Chevy Camaro RS ride smoother

Any ideas how to make the ride smoother. I drive a lexus and this is my first time owning a sport car so I am trying to adjust. I know they are different cars with different driving styles.

The RS has 20" low profile wheels.

Any suggestions for making a smoother ride, less road noise

Last edited by engineer2012; 11-11-2016 at 10:32 PM.
engineer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Change out the run flats to non run flats

But you're going to hear this a couple hundred times here, you bought a sports coupe , you did not buy another Lexus, or a standard sedan. It will never ride like a car like the Lexus that is purpose built for Living room comfort.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I assume you mean the Camaro rides "stiffer", "harsher", as every new Camaro I've been in rode smooth?

Like Glen said, it's a sporty car, it is suppose to ride differently than your Lexus. This is like asking how come my Lexus doesn't handle as good as my Camaro.

If it really bothers you, smaller diameter wheels will make the ride less stiff and less harsh, but will sacrifice handling.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

But you're going to hear this a couple hundred times here, you bought a sports coupe , you did not buy another Lexus, or a standard sedan. It will never ride like a car like the Lexus that is purpose built for Living room comfort.
X2 look for non run flats and read the reviews.
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Trade it in for a Mustang
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

Your most effective modification to improve "comfort" and reduce road noise might be tires. But I've got no idea which would provide an obvious improvement over the stock Goodyears.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Buy another Lexus
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I agree with the posts above that different tires might give you the improvements you're looking for with some loss of handling performance. Most online tire web sites like Tire Rack have ratings and reviews where you can compare tire ratings for traction and ride quality. You might find that a tire like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 will give you better ride quality than the OEM tires. If you will be driving in deep winter snow then maybe getting true winter tires now and different all-season radials next spring will be a better way to go.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Camaro727

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue RS convertible
Wow! My wife and I are always commenting on how good our RS rides. Our other car is a Hyundai Santa Fe and it rides smooth as well. We took a road trip to Branson, MO and after 8 hours of driving did not feel fatigued at all. Of course it could have been the excitement of driving our new car. ��
Camaro727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Keep in mind that Lexus makes a wonderful competitor to the Camaro.......if you are one of those that thinks the Camaro competes with a BMW 4 Series.

OP your easiest change would be to trade your 20" run flats for 18" wheels and an inflator kit. With a much higher aspect ratio the tire will be less stiff. Of course you will give up handling as your trade off.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Lexus used to make the SC430.

Get yourself a used one then put a 2017 Camaro RS badge on it.

Problem solved.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
Jdlt2

Drives: 2016 RS
I dropped the air pressure to 32 instead of 35 and it smoothed out the harshness of the bumps. When i drove the car at the dealer it rode very smooth. I checked the psi when i got home and noticed the tires only had 30 psi in them. I went to 35 and it became quite a bit harsher riding on bumps. Im back fown to 32 and its not like 30 but better than 35. My 2007 corvette runflats only asked for 30 and it rode great.
Jdlt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2012 View Post
Any ideas how to make the ride smoother. I drive a lexus and this is my first time owning a sport car so I am trying to adjust. I know they are different cars with different driving styles.

The RS has 20" low profile wheels.

Any suggestions for making a smoother ride, less road noise
Do you have the magnetic ride control (MRC) option as an option on the RS? If you do, set it to touring mode and you can change the ride to soft in the My Link settings for all modes. If no MRC, well, wheel/tire change is about your only option. Changing shocks is a possibility also if it isn't a MRC suspension.

The chassis on the Camaro itself is very stiff to get the handling out of our Camaros that we want. Nothing you can do about this. The new Camaro has moved away from the muscle/pony car image to that of a sports car.

As for road noise, is there a sudden change in road noise from one road surface to another? If so, again, it's the road, not the car. Some different tires will help, but not solve the road noise. You can always try having someone (audio shop?) add sound deadening material.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Do you have the magnetic ride control (MRC) option as an option on the RS? If you do, set it to touring mode and you can change the ride to soft in the My Link settings for all modes. If no MRC, well, wheel/tire change is about your only option. Changing shocks is a possibility also if it isn't a MRC suspension.

The chassis on the Camaro itself is very stiff to get the handling out of our Camaros that we want. Nothing you can do about this. The new Camaro has moved away from the muscle/pony car image to that of a sports car.

As for road noise, is there a sudden change in road noise from one road surface to another? If so, again, it's the road, not the car. Some different tires will help, but not solve the road noise. You can always try having someone (audio shop?) add sound deadening material.

Non-SS models can't get MRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk