Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Two Throttle Questions

I have a couple questions regarding the throttle response on my 2SS A8.

First, I've seen a couple test drive videos where they comment on the dead spot at the top of the throttle. This seems to be present on all of the different engine options. I hadn't noticed it during casual driving, but yesterday, for the first time, I held the car in a lower gear, brought the rpms up, and did a few quick throttle blips. There is definitely a very obvious dead zone for the first inch or so of throttle travel. Anyone else experience this, understand what causes it, or know if there is a fix for it?

Secondly, a couple times I've had people that want to hear the exhaust while the car is sitting still. When I start the car and blip the throttle a few times it is very responsive to the first couple blips, but after if the rpms are above idle it's like the engine doesn't even respond to the throttle input. Anyone else experience this?
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
There are aftermarket throttle contollers that resolve the "dead zone" issue. Do a search and you'll find sledgehammers thread about the one he installed.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The only aftermarket throttle controller i've heard of seems to operate by reducing the travel. This wouldn't eliminate just the dead zone at the initial point of travel that the OP is mentioning, it would just make it smaller (perhaps too small to matter) but it would also affect the rest of the throttle travel.

The only way to correctly fix just this dead zone seems to still be tuning it out.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
1badrwd

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss npp, A8
Your wanting to get a vitesse throttle controller. I have a A8 and it worked wonders on throttle response. Basically it changes the input voltage sent to the throttle. There are setting ranging from SP-0 to SP-9. SP-0 being just like stock and SP-9 being a super touchy throttle. Most find that SP-4 thru SP-6 to be the sweet spot for eliminating lag and increasing response. If you look under the bolt on's section there's a thread about the controller.

To be American is to love the flag, women, and sports cars!
1badrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
1badrwd

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss npp, A8
Found the thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435277

To be American is to love the flag, women, and sports cars!
1badrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The only aftermarket throttle controller i've heard of seems to operate by reducing the travel. This wouldn't eliminate just the dead zone at the initial point of travel that the OP is mentioning, it would just make it smaller (perhaps too small to matter) but it would also affect the rest of the throttle travel.

The only way to correctly fix just this dead zone seems to still be tuning it out.
This. I hate the dead zone on my m6 ss, its annoying as hell.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
I've posted on this before. I'm not knocking the Vitesse product at all. But here is some info I sought from the proverbial horses mouth.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=63
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
This. I hate the dead zone on my m6 ss, its annoying as hell.
Sorry to hear it is the same on the M6. I know you have Auto Rev Match now but having that dead zone and trying to blip the throttle yourself for rev match would be annoying.

Is this new to the LT1 throttle map? I don't experience this on my Gen5 1LE.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
Blazin383

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiocracy View Post
I've posted on this before. I'm not knocking the Vitesse product at all. But here is some info I sought from the proverbial horses mouth.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=63
Hummm.... I read your other post and find it very interesting, especially since I've never experienced that before on any car I've had, including multipal Vettes. Seems odd that a "dead zone" in the initial tip in of the throttle would be necessary to keep from upsetting the chassis, especially a chassis as good as this one, but I do know there are some very smart people who design these systems. I still don't like it!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
Blazin383

What about the reving and lack of throttle response in neutral (park)? Anyone experience this phenomenon?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I know you guys call it a dead zone, but it's not dead at the track. If so maybe someone can explain my 1.79 and 1.81 60ft times with stock tires. Maybe GM did it so you don't just blow the tires off at the hit of the throttle. Some who have added the Vitesse complain its not that easy to control the throttle reponse. I've not tried one so I can't verify this myself. If they really work it would seem it might even make the 60ft times quicker then they are now.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
What about the reving and lack of throttle response in neutral (park)? Anyone experience this phenomenon?
Yup, had it and hated it. I bought the throttle controller and problem solved, it's money well spent.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #13
Medic701

Drives: 2017 ZL1
http://vitesse-motorsports.com/throt...orvette-c7.htm
Medic701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
There are a couple things going on here that are maybe confusing things.

1. the "dead zone" i think the op is referring to occurs when you gradually just touch the throttle as if you were say coasting and wanted to give it what you would assume would be enough throttle to raise the rpms but in certain situations doesn't seem to. This "dead zone" at the beginning of throttle travel is not going to be fixed by the vitesse unless they have offset the resting state of the peddle position sensor and it's very possible they are doing that and it would make sense then why they're completely illegal to use on public roads because a slight error in tolerance between their product and your OEM sensor could make the resting state of the peddle sensor > 0% and start moving your car forward greater than expected or keep the car from being stopped by the emergency break at rest. That last part would fail you in safety inspections.

2. there is a perceived "dead zone" that some people have with the peddle in that a little movement doesn't equate to much of a change at all in throttle response. The vitesse controller reduces this to varying degrees based on the setting so that a little movement creates greater and greater changes in the effective peddle position sensor output. This also though, gives you the perception that it fixed the #1 issue but only because it's reduced the range that #1 is in effect to such a short distance that you can't physically move the peddle little enough to recreate it. The part i have a problem with this solution though is that it reduces the resolution of the peddle position sensor for the rest of the travel as well. Making it more difficult to keep a steady speed. This reduces gas mileage and can make driving at the highest speed without catching the attention of police a bit more hairy.

Not saying that S1 etc wouldn't be perfectly driveable and you couldn't maintain your speed after getting used to it. Just that it's not a solution, it just seems to be a mask (illegal one but whatever i guess). So far the only way I've heard about to fix the issue is tuning it out, but then that risks your warranty i guess.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote