Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
BFG g-Force Comp-2 A/S: 3500 mile update

For those that care, here's an update after putting 3500 miles on my BF Goodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S tires. Here's my original impressions:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427286

To recap, these are being used as my winter tires. I've mounted them on Z/28 knockoff wheels in 1LE sizes/offsets (MRR-228s to be exact), and the tires are sized 285/35 on all four corners. I never intend to use these tires in snow, these are simply cold-weather tires for me.

My first impressions of the Comp-2s was mixed. They offered all the grip you'd expect out of an all-season tire in cold temperatures, but they really fall short for me as a driver's/purist's tire of choice.

I started them at 35PSI, and worked them up all the way to 45PSI. I've settled on 40PSI as my daily cold pressure because frankly, pressure seems to make very little difference to any of the driving characteristics of the tire and I'll take the rim protection that 40 offers me.

On-Center and at-the-limit feel remain very numb. Even at 40PSI, you can feel the sidewalls flex while accelerating under hard lateral load. I'm more used to it now than I was in the beginning, so my ass no longer leaks (if that doesn't make any sense, read the original post linked to above), but I'm always nervous that the rear-end is going to do something I don't want it to, something that never crosses my mind with the G2s. The best analogy I can come up with is that the G2s are bluetooth connected to my ass, while the Comp-2s are whispering feedback in Farsi and I'm asking a guy in the passenger seat to translate.

I/We are spoiled though, as the OEM G2s are truly spectacular shoes and there's very little that can hold a candle to them in my experience. The Comp-2s have as much grip on a 15 degree morning leaving the parking lot as they do on an 80 degree day after 25 miles of highway speeds, so from a safety regard, they are doing their job well. They also have copious amounts of outright grip, as I've seen 1.06Gs on the HUD with them on (keep in mind that I can't speak to the levelness of the ground, and even small amounts of banking have big effects on absolute lateral grip).

I wouldn't change my purchase if I could. For the price, they are worth it. They are, I believe, the least expensive all-season tire in our size. And realistically, I'm not using them on the track, so I can't complain much about the one or two times per day I find myself being able to use a decent amount of lateral load. These tires track very straight, don't tramline anywhere near as bad as the G2s regardless of pressure, and offer a more compliant ride (which I wasn't exactly looking for) and lower road noise.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
kmdracer

Drives: 2015 black 1SS 1LE
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more and more towards these as everyday tires and save the oem rims/tires for play days
Old 03-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Billy10mm,

If your car were a weekend only car, never in need of a cold weather tire, and never tracked the car, would you consider them? That is my situation and I was looking at these mainly because of the 305/35 size (if they ever come off of back order). Or would you opt for a summer tire?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Billy10mm,

If your car were a weekend only car, never in need of a cold weather tire, and never tracked the car, would you consider them? That is my situation and I was looking at these mainly because of the 305/35 size (if they ever come off of back order). Or would you opt for a summer tire?
I have the Michelin pilot super sport AS/3 and feel like they are very similar to those tires. In your situation, I'd go with Michelin regular PSS; no hassle with rock chips, way better life and great grip, better than PSS AS/3 of those goodyear. If you get a good deal on them, go ahead. They 2x more comfortable than stock G2, but no where the track capibility nor feeling.

Since summer up here is like 2 months 'hot' and the rest is more average, its still the better choice for me...but I miss the G2 as far as performance but not for the life or rock chips..

Next up are the PSS for me.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
I agree 100% with that evaluation. I've got 6000 miles now on my comp2's. They're definitely a great winter tire choice.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
I have the Michelin pilot super sport AS/3 and feel like they are very similar to those tires. In your situation, I'd go with Michelin regular PSS; no hassle with rock chips, way better life and great grip, better than PSS AS/3 of those goodyear. If you get a good deal on them, go ahead. They 2x more comfortable than stock G2, but no where the track capibility nor feeling.

Since summer up here is like 2 months 'hot' and the rest is more average, its still the better choice for me...but I miss the G2 as far as performance but not for the life or rock chips..

Next up are the PSS for me.
I would get the MPSS but I have the 9" FR 41's up front and I'm not sure if there would be a fitment issue with the 285/35's??? They don't make a 275/40.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Awesome update Billy....much appreciated
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Awesome update Billy....much appreciated
+1
Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Billy10mm,

Summer, all the way. I typically despise all-season tires as they are jacks of all trades and masters of none. But they fit the bill here for me as a tire that doesn't need to worry about snow, but will stay pliable in sub-zero temps.

For my 1LE, if it were weekend only, G2s all the way.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
So... I was really disappointed finding these on backorder until probably late April/May as I'm due to replace my rear Michelin AS/3 tires (3mm depth and a nail).

But after reading your review, I'm starting to understand more about what I was feeling with my winter set - and probably how I would feel with the BFGs.

I found some 19" Breyton Race GTSR rims with Michelin Alpin winter tires in 285/45/20 and have been running those since November.

Now, I understand these are winter tires, thus softer rubber compound with much more flexibility and give. But under hard acceleration, the car felt "floaty" - like I wasn't quite sure whether the rear was going to kick out or where the front wheels were pointed - It felt very light with no positive engagement. And corners - I was constantly backing off because I could feel a lot of give in the (taller) sidewalls.

If that's what you were describing with the BFGs, I'm glad they were out of stock and thanks for your review. They were a great price, especially considering I daily drive the car, but I quite like the solid feeling the AS/3s give me.

Speaking of the AS/3 - some people don't like it as much either? I'm probably missing out as I've never driven on the OEM G2 tires (my mileage would require annual replacements) but I've found the AS/3 to be pretty solid so far. Rain performance could be better, but I feel like the handling is nice and tight when they're warmed up and I've never felt the uneasy "floating" feeling under acceleration. Would the G2s be worth it just to drive through a set in the summer ?
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Would the G2s be worth it just to drive through a set in the summer ?
If you're going to track the car the G2's have awesome grip and stick to the road really well. But I don't use them for daily driving. Because every little stone/pebble will also stick to the tires and eventually get flung down the side of the car likely messing up the paint; which is why I have all season tires for my daily driving.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I have these on for DD... 80 miles a day (~3k miles). I really like them, a lot. They do track true, as stated... don't grab every nook or cranny like the G2's did... they do stick pretty well, I've only had the rear slide out once after I put my new PTB on and was driving like a mad man enjoying it.

They are a blessing with any rain or moisture on the road!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I'd love to do something more "performance" oriented but I'm in the ~3k miles/month club too... I'm 80 miles one way to work - only upside is that I work 12 hours so some weeks are only 4 days and some are only 3...

I noticed you're in Brighton, sherob! What do you do? I have family there, been trying like hell to get a job in the power industry so I can move back out there
Old 03-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I'd love to do something more "performance" oriented but I'm in the ~3k miles/month club too... I'm 80 miles one way to work - only upside is that I work 12 hours so some weeks are only 4 days and some are only 3...

I noticed you're in Brighton, sherob! What do you do? I have family there, been trying like hell to get a job in the power industry so I can move back out there
I work for a bank in Lakewood, IT.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote