Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
GM Footwell lighting - Waste of money

So I recently purchased the GM footwell lighting, and had it installed by the dealer a couple days ago. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! If you are hoping for anything close to the pictures they post, you will be sorely disappointed. The lighting is so dim, I can barely even tell it's on when it's pitch black outside. I will be complaining straight to GM about this, because the pictures show something completely different.
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I've been going back and forth in my head over whether colored lighting is tacky or not. I'd do it with neopixels controllable via bluetooth on my phone...but i can't get the "tackiness" thought satisfied.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I've been going back and forth in my head over whether colored lighting is tacky or not. I'd do it with neopixels controllable via bluetooth on my phone...but i can't get the "tackiness" thought satisfied.
I personally love it, and put it in nearly every car I have owned. I am likely going to have to wait for a 3rd part solution in this case, because I really want it tied in to the spectrum lighting.
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
cellsafemode

I'd be adding it to a car that wasn't optioned with spectrum lighting. So the standalone solution I had was neopixels, 5v 5amp dc-dc converter, microphone for audio reactive function, tiny little arduino with bluetooth, code up an app for android to control various lighting functions on the arduino and make it android auto compatible... then come next month, i'd be able to control my lights from the mylink headunit
Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
EarthToGreg

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Curious what you paid to have your dealership install it? I'm coming from a 2SS with the spectrum lighting, but no footwell lighting. Thought about doing it myself, but everyone seems to reiterate that it's a particularly difficult install...
EarthToGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Ive seen about 10 post saying how crappy it is.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
cellsafemode

know how bright your trunk light is? that's how bright the footwell lighting is because they're exactly the same LED setup, only colored and so dimmer than white.

So you'll see it in pitch black. at least.

i recommend saving your money. plenty of aftermarket solutions that are much better. You wont get to set it on the touch screen, but what's more important? You seeing the footwell lighting you're paying for or you being able to set the color on the mylink screen 1 time and then never again?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I have them too and I can confirm they are too dim. But can't we pop off the top, change the LED with a brighter one and voila, problem solved? I could give it a try if I have a guide to follow, but I am not good enough to try it first.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
know how bright your trunk light is? that's how bright the footwell lighting is because they're exactly the same LED setup, only colored and so dimmer than white.

So you'll see it in pitch black. at least.

i recommend saving your money. plenty of aftermarket solutions that are much better. You wont get to set it on the touch screen, but what's more important? You seeing the footwell lighting you're paying for or you being able to set the color on the mylink screen 1 time and then never again?
my trunk had a regular 194 bulb
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
my trunk had a regular 194 bulb
the fixture is the same with relatively the same brightness.

I changed all my incandescent bulbs to led about a year ago. However, the footwell's will be dimmer/weaker than most led replacement bulbs or the stock ones anyway.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi91 View Post
I personally love it, and put it in nearly every car I have owned. I am likely going to have to wait for a 3rd part solution in this case, because I really want it tied in to the spectrum lighting.
i have to assume it's the same so i'm not sure if maybe they installed it wrong? i ordered the footwell lighting with my car and the dealer installed it once my car arrived. i also have the spectrum lighting on the doors and dash. when i change the color of the spectrum lighting it also changes the color on the footwells to match.