Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Automatic in manual mode?

Does the automatic when in manual mode switch gears if you hit the Rev limiter.

(OLD CAR)2014 Camaro 1LE, 2SS, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, K&N Air Filter. E3 Catch Can. z28 Grill, and 1LE Badging
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
mcynet

I tried one. It said shift denied when in track mode and trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd at 4k rpm

(OLD CAR)2014 Camaro 1LE, 2SS, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, K&N Air Filter. E3 Catch Can. z28 Grill, and 1LE Badging
Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
ussj4brolli

Drives: 2x 94:Z28s - 2x95:Z28s - 1x16:1LT
I dont (think) so. I was in Manual mode and bounced off the REV in first before...it was an opps. Although, i have not tested this in NON-Manual mode selected but MANUALLY shifting. Yes, you can manually shift gears with the shift knob in auto.

I liked that my 4th GEN if slammed into first it will shift to 2nd when needed. Helps me control the car at a 35mph burnout.
ussj4brolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
mcynet

That would put the rpm around 5500 or so I don't know why it denied the shift

Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
mcynet

Im at the dealership and just tried it again, I'm in manual mode... again shift denied. Is there some way to change it, I'm looking at buying one today, but I autocross so I have to be able to control the shifts. I want an auto but not if I can't downshift.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
ussj4brolli

I think throttle position would factor into the shift too, not just the RPM.

See if there are an option to change this in the settings in the player under car settings.

I can downshift whenever i want i believe, i will test this in just a few min.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
ussj4brolli

https://youtu.be/TvY632k-S2U
Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussj4brolli View Post
I think throttle position would factor into the shift too, not just the RPM.
Correct.

If you want full control, buy a manual. The manual mode on the A8 doesn't give you 100% control, and still has some nannies and torque management...not to mention delayed upshifts at WOT.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
ussj4brolli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Correct.

If you want full control, buy a manual. The manual mode on the A8 doesn't give you 100% control, and still has some nannies and torque management...not to mention delayed upshifts at WOT.
Watch my video. WOT and shifting at the end. Zero delay.

I see a delay at Non-wot, though.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
As described by Tadge Jeuchter (head engineer of the C7) the reason there is a delay when you manually change gear with the paddles is that the signal is sent to the cars ECU and it checks with all the cars sensors to make sure shifting to the desired gear doesn't upset the car and cause a dangerous situation. Then it shifts... if it's safe. Apparently if it isn't it taunts you with a "shift denied" message

Now, if you leave the car in "D" / automatic mode, and run the car in Track mode, you will have super quick shifts / holding gears higher into the rev ranges / etc - all without driver input.

That is what Chevy means when they say that the 8 speed "shifts nearly as fast as a PDK"...when you leave it to do it's thing, when it wants to shift, and the computer executes the command to shift, it does it on par with the best DCT made today.

They acknowledged the delay from hitting the paddle to the 8 speed shifting gears. It is by design.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
bdavies11

Quote:

I see plenty of delay at wide open throttle. At least a quarter of a second if not half a second. Not sure what your definition of delay is.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
bdavies11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
As described by Tadge Jeuchter (head engineer of the C7) the reason there is a delay when you manually change gear with the paddles is that the signal is sent to the cars ECU and it checks with all the cars sensors to make sure shifting to the desired gear doesn't upset the car and cause a dangerous situation. Then it shifts... if it's safe. Apparently if it isn't it taunts you with a "shift denied" message

Now, if you leave the car in "D" / automatic mode, and run the car in Track mode, you will have super quick shifts / holding gears higher into the rev ranges / etc - all without driver input.

That is what Chevy means when they say that the 8 speed "shifts nearly as fast as a PDK"...when you leave it to do it's thing, when it wants to shift, and the computer executes the command to shift, it does it on par with the best DCT made today.

They acknowledged the delay from hitting the paddle to the 8 speed shifting gears. It is by design.

It would be cool if the computer could "learn" from your style of driving and reduce shift delay over time if you can prove that you don't make dumb or poorly timed shifts. For example, if you were a capable driver and it learns that you're always making proper shifts, it'd be nice to see that delay reduced over time once the computer starts to "learn or trust" that you know what you're doing.

On the flip side, if the computer see's that you're constantly making poorly timed shifts, well, then the delay stays.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

There is always a delay. I was told just this past Saturday by an engineer on the GM Performance Tour that it can't be 100% eliminated due to the type of transmission and the electronics...sometimes it's better, but there will always be a slight delay from paddle pull, to when the transmission upshifts. I've driven three C7's and two SS's and they all did just this...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post

Bingo, OP I would try Track with the trans in D, then try a maneuver like you are trying to test for autocross. If you still don't like it, then get manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
I see plenty of delay at wide open throttle. At least a quarter of a second if not half a second. Not sure what your definition of delay is.
That's 250-500ms then, not really much a delay....just some people can notice it more than others. A pro driver would have difficulty consistently making a shift happen in that time span.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote