Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
New to Group. '11 SS

I just wanted to introduce myself and say how glad i am to find this group. Every time I did an Internet search this forum keeps coming up with the best answers. I just bought a 2011 Camaro 2SS RT Convertible automatic trans with 34k miles on it.

My previous sports cars included a Dodge Viper, Jaguar XKR and C5 Corvette. Not to mention when I was a teenager I had a 67 Shelby, 71 Cuda and Montego MX.

This Camaro came with K&N Intake and Flowmaster exhausts. But that's it as far as I can tell. I'm really growing to love this car!

I have a couple of quick questions.

1) The brake calipers are orange like the interior. Is this stock or are they possibly Brembo Brakes?

2) It has that fuel management system and I think I can feel it kicking on and off when cruising at highway speeds. It's a little annoying and I wonder if it doesn't reduce engine life switching from 4 to 8 cylinders.

Will using a tuner to defeat that "feature" risk voiding my extended warranty? I have a 5yr 100k miles exclusionary.

Thanks again!

Cat
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
The SS gets Brembos from the factory. They most likely weren't orange, & the previous owner painted them. That's a common "mod" around here on these cars.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself and say how glad i am to find this group. Every time I did an Internet search this forum keeps coming up with the best answers. I just bought a 2011 Camaro 2SS RT Convertible automatic trans with 34k miles on it.

My previous sports cars included a Dodge Viper, Jaguar XKR and C5 Corvette. Not to mention when I was a teenager I had a 67 Shelby, 71 Cuda and Montego MX.

This Camaro came with K&N Intake and Flowmaster exhausts. But that's it as far as I can tell. I'm really growing to love this car!

I have a couple of quick questions.

1) The brake calipers are orange like the interior. Is this stock or are they possibly Brembo Brakes?

2) It has that fuel management system and I think I can feel it kicking on and off when cruising at highway speeds. It's a little annoying and I wonder if it doesn't reduce engine life switching from 4 to 8 cylinders.

Will using a tuner to defeat that "feature" risk voiding my extended warranty? I have a 5yr 100k miles exclusionary.

Thanks again!

Cat
ANY TUNE on these cars will void the warranty. "Unless you have a mod-friendly dealership". They do sell some devices that plug into your OBDC port that can cancel out the AFM system.

and welcome to the group. Lots of great information from these Camaro crazies. You have had some great cars in the past.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The SS gets Brembos from the factory. They most likely weren't orange, & the previous owner painted them. That's a common "mod" around here on these cars.
Maybe it's red. I'm a bit color blind. What color do you see?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Maybe it's red. I'm a bit color blind. What color do you see?

Red or Orange, either way they have been painted. The stock color is gray/silver on the SS. The 1LE's come with the red calipers.
As far as the AFM, the Range device works great and a lot of folks here use them. http://www.rangetechnology.com/
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here for sure. As others have said the calipers have been painted. AFM is very annoying, the Range device will prevent it from going to 4 cyl mode and is warranty friendly since it just plugs into the obd port.
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
I see
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Welcome aboard
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info here for sure. As others have said the calipers have been painted. AFM is very annoying, the Range device will prevent it from going to 4 cyl mode and is warranty friendly since it just plugs into the obd port.
When taking the car in for repairs can't some tuners revert back to the factory settings that was backed up, and then return to the custom settings once you get it back home? Or is that detectable? If so, wont a hard reset (unplugging the battery for a couple of hours) erase any traces?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
When taking the car in for repairs can't some tuners revert back to the factory settings that was backed up, and then return to the custom settings once you get it back home? Or is that detectable? If so, wont a hard reset (unplugging the battery for a couple of hours) erase any traces?
no, these have a counter on them. They would know how many times you have 'played' with the tune.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I see orange.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote