Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Af ATS-v get old LS7 this means no LT7 plans?

This is old news buy I really was hoping GM could still manage to make a 427 engine for the LT series, do this mean there is only going to be 2 engines for the LT line of engines?

Also, if the ATS and the camaro share the same platform, why the 7 speed manage to fit there wile It didnt fit in the camaro?

Finally can some one confirm a rumor of the ZO6 was originally intended to be with a 427 (LT7) but it failed in the emissions test so they swapped to a 6.2 FI engine?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
They stopped the production of the LS last year and closed the plant. The only plant that builds GM's v8 is Tonawanda and the only two V8 engines they are producing are the LT1, LT4. Café' and emission's have changed in 2016 and will change in 2018. The LS motors are finished.
The rumor I read in the stock trades was there was so many Ls7's in inventory and they new several years ago that the motor was obsolete they used it for the Z/28 to deplete the stock. The catch 22 is that the sale of the Z/28 died and they are going to take a financial hit.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
BGAP is now or is about to assemble some engines and it is very likely each engine will have eight cylinders.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
This is old news buy I really was hoping GM could still manage to make a 427 engine for the LT series, do this mean there is only going to be 2 engines for the LT line of engines?

Also, if the ATS and the camaro share the same platform, why the 7 speed manage to fit there wile It didnt fit in the camaro?

Finally can some one confirm a rumor of the ZO6 was originally intended to be with a 427 (LT7) but it failed in the emissions test so they swapped to a 6.2 FI engine?
I don't remember hearing the CI or designation of the N/A motor they had in line for the Z06, just that it couldn't pass emissions at the power level and performance level that Team Corvette and GM wanted. GM clearly designed the new Z06 to be a single car that fills the roles that two filled before (IE Z06 and the ZR1) so there was no need for concurrent engine designs.

GM is preparing to do something new with the Corvette, they just invested even more money into Bowling Green's paint shop and production lines, which would not be necessary unless something fairly huge was coming since it handles the current Stingray and Z06 just fine.

Unfortunately the days of high winding N/A V8's are coming to a close. Ford has said it was "more challenging than normal" to get the 5.2 FPC motor for the GT350 to pass emissions, that's after the 5.8 Trinity in the last gen GT500 which I doubt was a walk in the park.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The rumor of an ATS-V+ has already been killed. No 7 speed LS7 ATS-V.

Motor Authority:
Quote:
There is no ATS-V Plus in the works. That’s the official word from Cadillac’s communications manager David Caldwell, who told Motor Authority that reports of the V-8-powered ATS-V Plus, rumored on Motor Trend and elsewhere, won’t be happening—in no uncertain terms.
I can't confirm the rumor of an LS7 successor, I think its true but that doesn't mean much.

Allegedly, the problem was that they couldn't meet their performance targets and emissions with the NA engine. I doubt anyone outside of GM knows what exactly their goals were, but it probably involved 600+ hp. They then had 3 options: 1) use some expensive finagling to try and get everything to work with a NA engine (not sure if this is possible), 2) dial back the performance goals to keep the engine emissions friendly 3) go forced induction. They went with choice #3

Also, just because an engine won't meet emissions doesn't mean that it failed an actual emissions test. Computer simulations can tell you if an idea is even feasible in the first place before detailed design takes place (which can also be run through a simulation). For all we know, the idea could have been shelved or outright killed once they plugged the basics of what the engine would entail into the model. Its unlikely, given the timeline of the Z06, that there was a detailed 'LT7' engine design all ready to go that was just a bit too hot for the EPA
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Who said anything about the M7 not fitting?

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I don't remember hearing the CI or designation of the N/A motor they had in line for the Z06, just that it couldn't pass emissions at the power level and performance level that Team Corvette and GM wanted. GM clearly designed the new Z06 to be a single car that fills the roles that two filled before (IE Z06 and the ZR1) so there was no need for concurrent engine designs.

GM is preparing to do something new with the Corvette, they just invested even more money into Bowling Green's paint shop and production lines, which would not be necessary unless something fairly huge was coming since it handles the current Stingray and Z06 just fine.

Unfortunately the days of high winding N/A V8's are coming to a close. Ford has said it was "more challenging than normal" to get the 5.2 FPC motor for the GT350 to pass emissions, that's after the 5.8 Trinity in the last gen GT500 which I doubt was a walk in the park.
400 some million doesn't go all that far at a car plant these days. To put it into context, in Lansing for the new Camaro they're adding 3 paint colours and a couple robots for 175 million. Meanwhile at the truck plant in Fort Wayne, they're spending about double the combined investment of Bowling Green & Lansing for a few more paint related upgrades and some production line improvements. Nothing overly revolutionary, not adding a new production line or anything. Just one of you average, run of the mill, 1.2 billion dollar periodic plant investments.

You seem to be insinuating that the money at the Corvette plant is going towards something different (presumably a mid-engined car). The line at the Corvette plant is setup to build front engine, rear drive cars. It would take a massive investment (think billions, not millions) and a prolonged shutdown to allow it to build anything different.

Additionally, every now and then emissions regulations tighten for manufacturing facilities (just as they do for car engines), and the main source of emissions at a car plant is the paint shop. Might even be paint-specific regs, I'm not sure. So OEMs regularly need to make a few upgrades to keep with the times. I think that has a lot to do with why GM made 3 announcements involving improved paint facilities in the span of about a week.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Who said anything about the M7 not fitting?
Quote:

There is no 7 speed in the ATS or CTS either. ATS-V gets a 6 speed manual and the CTS-V is 8 speed auto only.

And too lazy to go find it, but it was asked at the reveal and an engineer was quoted as saying the 7 speed wouldn't fit. So Corvette exclusive I guess.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
400 some million doesn't go all that far at a car plant these days. To put it into context, in Lansing for the new Camaro they're adding 3 paint colours and a couple robots for 175 million. Meanwhile at the truck plant in Fort Wayne, they're spending about double the combined investment of Bowling Green & Lansing for a few more paint related upgrades and some production line improvements. Nothing overly revolutionary, not adding a new production line or anything. Just one of you average, run of the mill, 1.2 billion dollar periodic plant investments.

You seem to be insinuating that the money at the Corvette plant is going towards something different (presumably a mid-engined car). The line at the Corvette plant is setup to build front engine, rear drive cars. It would take a massive investment (think billions, not millions) and a prolonged shutdown to allow it to build anything different.

Additionally, every now and then emissions regulations tighten for manufacturing facilities (just as they do for car engines), and the main source of emissions at a car plant is the paint shop. So they regularly need a few upgrades to keep with the times. I think that has a lot to do with why GM made 3 announcements involving improved paint facilities in the span of about a week.
Actually I was kind of echoing what Fen had hinted towards a few days ago..

"Maybe for painting a car where the engine is in a different location?" or something along those lines.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
They stopped the production of the LS last year and closed the plant. The only plant that builds GM's v8 is Tonawanda and the only two V8 engines they are producing are the LT1, LT4. Café' and emission's have changed in 2016 and will change in 2018. The LS motors are finished.
The rumor I read in the stock trades was there was so many Ls7's in inventory and they new several years ago that the motor was obsolete they used it for the Z/28 to deplete the stock. The catch 22 is that the sale of the Z/28 died and they are going to take a financial hit.
I believe GM Mexico still builds the LS3 for the Chevy SS
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There is no 7 speed in the ATS or CTS either. ATS-V gets a 6 speed manual and the CTS-V is 8 speed auto only.

And too lazy to go find it, but it was asked at the reveal and an engineer was quoted as saying the 7 speed wouldn't fit. So Corvette exclusive I guess.
I find that hard to believe. I found this about the M7 length compared to the outgoing M6.

"The new TR6070 is only 42-millimeters longer than the TR6060, and weighs only 4-kilograms more,

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/transmission/1307-first-look-tr6070-transmission/#ixzz3bdr47g48"

Would it not be shorter than the A8? I can't for the life of me find a length on it. The M6 was around 30" from what I saw.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The 6070 center point distance is 85mm and the 3160 center point distance is 81mm.

I have no idea what center point distance means but it does look like the 7-speed is a bit bigger than the 6-speed.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:

Sure about that? LS engines are used today in Silverado/Sierra HD, Express/Savana, Commodore/SS and remaining Camaros still. LS production is far from stopped yet. Couple of years for most remaining vehicles? Maybe.

Tonawanda produces more than just LT1 and LT4. They build LV3, L83 and L83 Ecotec 3 Gen V small blocks for trucks, and 2.0 and 2.5 Ecotec 4 bangers (ATS, Camaro (future), Malibu, etc). Truck Gen V small blocks are also built at Ramos Azripe Powertrain, and St. Cathrines Powertrain.

L99 roll out of St. Cathrines, 6.0 (L96, L77), LS3 and LSA roll out of Silao, Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Makes sense. Too bad they only put the LS7 in the Z28, they could have released a special edition 427 based SS without the fancy brakes and other track related stuff that drive the Z28 price so high. Price it around $50k for the folks who didn't want forced induction but preferred a higher revving NA engine. Then they would have sold them. Now with the lt1 the performance envelope is closing in on the LS7. Isn't the ls7 like 18k is you have to replace it?
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote