Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
VMAX Ported Throttle Body Review

Installation
- I disconnected the battery for the install. While there is not a 100% clear consensus, it seems the computer re-learns faster after a mod if the battery has been disconnected. Also, I just don't like live juice running through a car I am working on. Just a preference.

- I pulled my MAF sensor to see if it was a "strong" or a "weak" unit. Part was stamped K18 which is a "strong" MAF so no issues going forward with the install.

- It was difficult to get the stock air intake off the throttle body and the air box! I did not want to break anything, but wow, that was the hardest thing to do.

- The bolts (4 10mM bolts) that the throttle body are attached with are NOT TIGHT AT ALL. I mean, 1/8 turn after finger tight! Keep this in mind about this mod, I have read horror stories of stripped threads in the intake manifold and CEL's going off due to over doing it on the bolts.

- I should note here the Apex Catch Can is working, no oil in the throttle body at all. Usually see a bit on non catch can equipped cars. Good stuff.

- Easy install, maybe 30 minutes total. Most of that was getting the air intake tube off.

Impressions
I got everything buttoned up and started the car. It idled a bit high at first then settled in ~600 RPM. Silky smooth, much smoother than before. Already I had a good feeling. Let it idle for 10 minutes, no CEL and nothing seemed off. The engine sounds more throaty and it is a louder burbling. I turned her off and got cleaned up.

- The throttle response is crazy better. I really mean that, night and day difference. I read on another post about the VMAX unit the perfect line, he gets all the credit:
Quote:
"before it seemed like I was sending a request to the throttle to open up, now it just goes and I feel more connected with the car."
Could not agree more, response is immediate.

- The biggest AWESOME factor are two gears that get a new lease on life. 2nd gear RIPS now. I mean no lag at all and she pulls fast through the RPM range. This is HUGE, the car launches like a rocket when shifting to 2nd now. BIG difference. In my original review I noted that 5th and 6th gears were almost a waste as there was no pull in them at all. I know overdrive gears, but still. 6th still is flat but 5th!!!! OMG 5th gear! I can pass cars easily with a blip of the throttle now. No delay, no "bog" for lack of a better word. Really excited about this, much improved.

Overall, a great mod. This expands the car so much and improves driveability in a way you can hear and feel. If you return your old throttle body (I did not) this mod is only $150! Best bang for the buck IMO. Love it. Big thanks to Phil of Tampa Tuning here on C5 for the fast delivery.
Attached Images

"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
JKO

Drives: 2016 2 SS
Glad to hear it I just ordered mine with Apex last night. Should be home by the time I get home.
JKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I installed my VMax PTB about 6 months ago. I'm very happy with the improved response. Great product. Great mod.

Just curious, OP... why didn't you return the core for your $200 refund?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I installed my VMax PTB about 6 months ago. I'm very happy with the improved response. Great product. Great mod.

Just curious, OP... why didn't you return the core for your $200 refund?
In case I screwed the pooch on an install I guess. I could have put the stock one back on and claimed a warranty issue

Mostly, just wanted to keep all the OG-riginal parts. It's only money, you can't take it with you
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKO View Post
Glad to hear it I just ordered mine with Apex last night. Should be home by the time I get home.
Put that thing on, you will love it!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Nice write-up! I'm in the same boat as far as keeping parts. If and when I buy a PTB, I'll probably keep mine also. I plan on keeping this car for a looooooong time, and I'd like to still have all the original parts 20-30 years from now.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
It's only money, you can't take it with you
Well, you can... but it won't buy you anything (no matter which way you go ).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

- I should note here the Apex Catch Can is working, no oil in the throttle body at all. Usually see a bit on non catch can equipped cars. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKO View Post
Thank you for your order.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:

Best bang for the buck IMO. Love it. Big thanks to Phil of Tampa Tuning here on C5 for the fast delivery.

Im glad your enjoying the throttle body.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Good review!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Man you are gifted !!

The way you describe CHRISTINE in her new Vmax TB gives me an (Orgasm) !!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
I am torn between this throttle body and a Bo's throttle body.
Can anyone tell me what the difference. Which one is better ?
I have a bone stock L99 and will be adding a CAI cold air intake this weekend.
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk5150 View Post
I am torn between this throttle body and a Bo's throttle body.
Can anyone tell me what the difference. Which one is better ?
I have a bone stock L99 and will be adding a CAI cold air intake this weekend.
Either one works. You can do a search and read customer reviews on C5. The difference is that VMax is ported by way of CNC Machine and leaves a spiral porting within the bore which helps reduces turbulance and helps organize airflow into the intake. Bo's TB's are hand ported, leaving a smooth surface that also helps reduce turbulance. The big plus is that Bo's throttle bodies have a half shaft mod, which opens up the throttle body for more air to flow into the intake. You can google throttle body half shaft mod for more info. You could even get the best of both worlds and buy a Vmax and have Bo half shaft it.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #14
carlosdmartins
To help and to be helped!

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LT/RS, Black/Gray
I have a v6, do you guys think the VMAX PTB is going to make any difference on my Camaro?

K&N Cold Air Intake, Oil Catch Can, Trifecta Tune, Z28 style spoiler, T5 front lip/side rockers, door sills, chrome fuel door, side gills, LED cree fog lights, Hotckins 1" lowering coil springs, auxiliary gauge pack, tower strut brace!
carlosdmartins is offline   Reply With Quote