Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Help With Trifecta Tune Problem

Alright well I got my tune a few months ago and I have been pretty happy with the tune. Everything works how I asked it to. But after I got my SS tuned I realized that my v6 was not shifting hard at all. So I just figured that naturally because the v8 has more power that the v6's just can't shift as hard. But a few days later I'm talking to my buddy Lgndryhr while we were at the drag strip and he was saying how he loved how his tranny was shifting hard. So I told him mine didn't shift hard at all and mine has a lot of mods were as he just has a tune on his. He suggest that I tell send a emai to BNR and get it fixed. So I sent a email to Jerry at Bad News Racing and asked for my shifts to be really hard in sport and for it to shift normally in drive. Jerry talked to vince and he said that my shifts were already set to shift as hard as possible. So they recommended that I reinstall the tune that maybe I forgot to tune the transmission after I tuned the engine. So yesterday I reinstalled the tune and went for a drive expecting for my shifts to be hard but they were not I tried wot in d and in s and I could not feel a difference. So I returnes the tune to stock and then reinstalled the tune again. Everything work like ghost cam so I take it out for another drive and still I just shifts like butter. So me and Lgndryhr could not figures out why his shifts hard and mind does not so I asking you experts. Is there something wrong with the tune or with my tranny or what????

Last edited by Ice Demon; 03-21-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Did you clear the transmission adaptives when you re-flashed?

As far as I understand it, the automatic transmission will "learn" a certain behavior and shift as it has been taught to do during normal driving. Try clearing the transmission adaptives and driving around like a bat outta hell for a while, if you haven't already done so. Honestly, I don't know the details of the programming; but, I'm sure it simply logs when it is forced to shift based on whatever criteria GM programmed into it and starts to use that as a reference.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Ice Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
Did you clear the transmission adaptives when you re-flashed?

As far as I understand it, the automatic transmission will "learn" a certain behavior and shift as it has been taught to do during normal driving. Try clearing the transmission adaptives and driving around like a bat outta hell for a while, if you haven't already done so. Honestly, I don't know the details of the programming; but, I'm sure it simply logs when it is forced to shift based on whatever criteria GM programmed into it and starts to use that as a reference.
No I didn't try that ill have to clearing the adaptives and see if that works.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Actually, this exact same scenario happened to me. What color cable do you have? On mine, I asked tune for the firmest shifts and I didn't notice a difference at all much like you. Me and Vince went back and forth checking what was going on as he couldn't figure it out. Eventually, what happened was that I had a software version of ezflash that wasn't writing the transmission tune correctly. He told me what to do and I tuned it again and bam it worked.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Hrrmm...

I kind of thought the same thing whenever I tuned my car...didn't notice much of a change (although I have FINALLY noticed something more recently when doing 0 - 60 runs lol) but I specifically asked for a 'safe' transmission tune. Wanted Drive to be left like stock, but sport to be sportier...but not dangerous for the life of the transmission.

I didn't notice much and just figured it was because I asked for a safe setting...and maybe that is still the case, but I'd like to try this out.

lscamaro, can you elaborate on what you did?

Is clearning the TCM adaptives something it asks you when you tune, or do you have to do that seperately? Been so long since I've installed my tune that I can't remember all the details.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
lscamaro

Clearing the TCM adaptives is done everytime you tune the transmission but can also be done on one of the drop down menus.

On what I did, I have the red cable and apparently, I was tuning the car but the transmission portion of it wasn't getting written into the car. If that makes sense. Eventually, Vince figured it out when he asked me to pull a datalog of the transmission portion and my car wouldn't allow it. He then sent me a link to a version of ezflash that i downloaded and on this one, it worked well. An easy way to find out if your transmission is being tuned is that when you plug your car in and initiate a full tune, it will go and tune your engine and then it will start again thus tuning your transmission.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Ice Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Clearing the TCM adaptives is done everytime you tune the transmission but can also be done on one of the drop down menus.

On what I did, I have the red cable and apparently, I was tuning the car but the transmission portion of it wasn't getting written into the car. If that makes sense. Eventually, Vince figured it out when he asked me to pull a datalog of the transmission portion and my car wouldn't allow it. He then sent me a link to a version of ezflash that i downloaded and on this one, it worked well. An easy way to find out if your transmission is being tuned is that when you plug your car in and initiate a full tune, it will go and tune your engine and then it will start again thus tuning your transmission.
I also have the red cable could you post up the link for the version of ezflash that you used to fix the problem.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Just wanna chime in here for a bit. I am not sure if clearing TCM adaptives will work, but at this point anything is possible. Especially since we could not come up with anything.

If anyone is curious about the difference between our cars it is the following: I have a 2011 1LT/RS and he has a 2010 2LT; our tires and rims are different; I use Octane 93 and he uses Octane 87; I changed my rear diff fluid at 1500 miles and he hasn't changed it yet; he has more miles than me, lol; he has a cold air intake and I don't; I have a stock exhaust setup and he doesn't. I believe that is it. Not sure if any of that helps, but just sharing for you all. I am curious what will fix it. Bad cable? Need newer version of ezflash? Clear TCM? Who knows

I myself got the latest download from here: http://www.trifectaperformance.com/ezflash.aspx

Another idea I have Fire and Ice is email Jerry the file ezflash creates every time it is run. Send him the latest and ask him to forward to Vince. Perhaps it isn't tuning the transmission or is not tuning correctly. Vince can read that file and see.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
lscamaro

Yes, I'd datalog the transmission part of the tune and send it to Vince so he can check out if the car is taking the transmission tune. I recommend you get the latest download of EzFlash (supplied by lgndryhr ^^) and then try installing your tune again. You said you had the most severe transmission tune which is what I have and trust me, there is a massive difference. I chirp 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
lscamaro

I too don't think clearing the adaptives will work because I tried it in my case and that didn't do anything. More than likely its the ezflash version since you have the same cable I have. I also don't think mods have a lot to do with it but who knows. I'm pretty sure its not a bad cable if he was able to initially tune.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Ice Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I too don't think clearing the adaptives will work because I tried it in my case and that didn't do anything. More than likely its the ezflash version since you have the same cable I have. I also don't think mods have a lot to do with it but who knows. I'm pretty sure its not a bad cable if he was able to initially tune.
Alright ill try installing the tune with the new version of ezflash tonight and hopefully that will work if it doesn't ill data log and send it to vince. Thx for the info.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Pretty sure the link above is no longer what Trifecta is using to push their latest version of EzFlash . . . you need to go to www.wot-tuning.com and get it from there. This is Trifecta's new site that just went live a little while back, I'm not sure whether that old link is being updated as well.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Ice Demon

Well I reinstalled the tune with the new ezflash and cleared the TCM and it still definitely does not shift hard. So I dataloged and I'm going to send it to vince and see what he says.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Pretty sure the link above is no longer what Trifecta is using to push their latest version of EzFlash . . . you need to go to www.wot-tuning.com and get it from there. This is Trifecta's new site that just went live a little while back, I'm not sure whether that old link is being updated as well.
It is updated, as I used it to download a new version tonight and it is the latest version. 1.2.164