Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Blew motor, hmmmfreakingmmm!!!!

Last Friday morning I was pulling out on to a busy street and I got on my car hard. It's a dangerous intersection. It's blind and a lot of ppl go too fast. I pulled out and suddenly had some uber Ram bearing down on me so I floored it and took it up to about 6700RPM and upon shifting into 2nd, I could tell, something was not right. There was a knocking noise and it was very rough. I pulled over and shut my car off. I got out checked the oil and there was nothing on the stick. WTF?!!!!

Went to walmart and bought 5 qts of mobil 1 5W-30. My motor downed 4.3 qts. Drove my car to the dealership immediately. Babied it the whole way and just felt sick to my stomach. I get my oil changed at the dealer and it wasn't due for an oil change until 28,000 odo reads 26,450.

Service manager said it would be a few days before they could even get to it as they just happened to be replacing motors on several other vehicles (pickup, GMC Acadia, and some other car) and quickly issued me a fully loaded HHR LT with leather and working XM-not too shabby.

I hadn't heard from them so I drove over today to check up on things. The service manager said he was planning on calling me later that day. I have no reason to believe he was BSing me.

They decided after listening to it that they're just going to order a new motor. They figure by the time they tear it down, diagnose and try to replace it, it will be quicker and more cost effective to just replace it.

I think my dealer is pretty cool.....so far. I've had the expectation that they're going to honor the warranty and have acted accordingly. I'm taking it as a positive sign that they had already ordered the motor without notifying me. If they had no intention of honoring the warranty, my guess is that they'd they would not have ordered a new motor without 1st notifying me.

Thots?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
At least they didn't try to give some bs and say that the Mods caused it or that your warranty was voided and that they were not going to replace it. And do u know if they are going to put a new LLT in or the LFX

Mods on SS Are a vararam tuned Cai and strait pipes Mods on v6 Are a K&N Cai With washer bottle deleted BBK LT with high flow cats and muffler delete
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Wow sorry to hear man. Wonder why it drank all that oil. Hope it gets fixed soon. Awesome your dealer looked past all your mods. Keeps us updated.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
At least they didn't try to give some bs and say that the Mods caused it or that your warranty was voided and that they were not going to replace it. And do u know if they are going to put a new LLT in or the LFX

Mods on SS Are a vararam tuned Cai and strait pipes Mods on v6 Are a K&N Cai With washer bottle deleted BBK LT with high flow cats and muffler delete
Well I sure hope it's not an LFX cuz my SW LT's won't bolt up to that motor and neither will my intake LOL. I'm sure they're putting in an LLT.

What kind of gains did the VR intake and straight pipes do for your SS?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Wow sorry to hear man. Wonder why it drank all that oil. Hope it gets fixed soon. Awesome your dealer looked past all your mods. Keeps us updated.
Thanks. Who knows? Tell me about it. I sure will.

I would never buy an HHR btw. Took it to KC on Sunday and it meanders and the seats are not very comfortable. It's a decent grocery getter and that's about it. I should take a pic of it, LOL.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have not had my SS dyno'ed but but ran a quarter mile time of 12.4 stock time was 12.9 vararam claims 35hp gain and I guess 20hp gain for strait pipes but if I had to guess I would have to say around 40hp gain maybe more maybe less. Just don't feel like paying $100 to get it dyno'ed lol
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
bummer man, sorry to hear that. I was just saying to myself the other day "I wonder when I'm going to see a post about blow a V6 engine." What timing..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Sorry, to hear it man, but welcome to the club. Lot's of blown up LS3's around.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Thanks. Who knows? Tell me about it. I sure will.

I would never buy an HHR btw. Took it to KC on Sunday and it meanders and the seats are not very comfortable. It's a decent grocery getter and that's about it. I should take a pic of it, LOL.
Oh men sorry to hear that.

BTW, I also hated the HHR when I got it as a loaner...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Tough luck SixJack.

I was reading somewhere the other day on this forum about shift points somewhere, and vendor was explaining that even those these cars have a redline at 7000 RPM, the shift should actually occur at 6000. Can't remember exactly why.

Was your's a manual or auto bud?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
sorry buddy how long till your back on the road?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
im surprised they are covering this, especially with the tune you added.
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I thought I had the no oil thing happen to me. I pulled the stick and nothing was on it. I was fuming mad, rounded up a quart and opened up the filler neck and for some dumbl uck reason I pulled the dip stick again and it was full. WTF??? So I put everything back, cranked the car shut it down pulled the dip stick and nothing on it! Open filler neck pull stick and its full.... All I can figure is the oil is staying in the top of the motor a long time and opening the filler neck assists in draining it back to the pan. Maybe something similar happened with your check? Understand the motor is shot, but just for future use this info this might prevent a panic attack.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
im surprised they are covering this, especially with the tune you added.
why? Tune is undetectable in the V6...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote