Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
V6 diffuser is different than the SS diffuser.

I apologize if this has been covered but I searched and I didn't find anything. Am I the only one who didn't know that the SS's rear diffuser is different than the V6's? I discovered this today when I had my car into the dealership for an oil change.

They were in the process of installing ground fx kits on both an RS and an SS. I saw a couple of diffusers laying on the garage floor so I asked what they were going to do with them. They said they were just going to throw them in the trash. I asked if I could have them and they told me to help myself so I took them both. Upon closer inspection that's when I noticed. The exhaust cutouts on the SS diffuser are a bit larger and the strakes are thicker and beefier.

My company owns 7 Camaros - 1 SS and 6 LT2 RS's so I see both models all the time. I've compared the rear of the SS to the V6's over and over and have never noticed the differences. GM did an amazing job of proportioning every thing to the V6 models and the v8 models.

I just installed SOLO's Mach X LLT exhaust on my car 2 1/2 weeks ago complete with it's 4 1/2 inch tips. (stock SS's are 4") and it looked better but still something was slightly askew and I couldn't put my finger on it....until today. Now I know. My 4 1/2' tips look stuffed a little too tight inside those V6 cutouts meant for the wimpy looking 3" tips. Morever they kind of overwhelm the skinnier strakes on the V6 diffuser. I've been wanting to paint my diffuser black to match the car for a while now. Now I can without worrying about running around looking ghetto while it get's painted. The SS diffuser will be a subtle change. I'll post some before and after pics.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Hmm maybe I'll chum up the the body shop guys at my dealer. I want free parts to play with.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I also have Solos and I did'nt like the tip being close to the diffuser. I swapped the diffuser for SS and the car now looks much better and I'm not afraid of any melting.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
SIXJAK

Okay good. Because frankly i was a little concerned about that especially if was planning on painting the diffuser.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Hmmm, guess I should pick up the SS diffuser to give a little more space for my SOLO tips. I haven't had any problems with melting, but I think I get an occasional rub which translates to cabin noise. Not always there, just occasionally.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Hmmm, guess I should pick up the SS diffuser to give a little more space for my SOLO tips. I haven't had any problems with melting, but I think I get an occasional rub which translates to cabin noise. Not always there, just occasionally.
I also had the rubbing issue (occasional)
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I found this out a few months back. I was going to install an SS diffuser that my brother (whom also works at a dealership) gave to me because I knew it had longer strakes. Then I discovered the holes were quite a bit bigger.

I think my 4" Magnaflow tips look perfect with the size of the V6 diffuser holes, so I ended up not doing the swap, and sold the diffuser to an SS owner on here.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I found this out a few months back. I was going to install an SS diffuser that my brother (whom also works at a dealership) gave to me because I knew it had longer strakes. Then I discovered the holes were quite a bit bigger.

I think my 4" Magnaflow tips look perfect with the size of the V6 diffuser holes, so I ended up not doing the swap, and sold the diffuser to an SS owner on here.
Hey like the new sig. Adobe's new photoshop has really got me going nuts. I try to post pics and i get nothing. I try to post links and they say pic is not authorized for public viewing even though I've authorized it. Gaaaaaah. Yeah my tips are a little too squeezed inside the smaller cutouts.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Pierce34

Drives: 2010 2LT 6Spd
Anybody have any pictures of the SS diffuser with the Solo tips?? And do you have any rubbing issues with SS one?