Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Schroedinger

Drives: prospective Camaro owner
Camaro 2.0 i4 as a base for HPDE/road track car

Greetings all, think this is my first post here. I’m starting to do research on a gen 6 2L turbo Camaro as my next track car. I’m an intermediate/advanced level driver and frequently drive Road Atlanta, Barber and Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Background-

I have a 1992 1.6L Miata that I have prepared as a road legal track car for HPDE, and it has been a good journey. I’ve been through most of the car at this point, and have done a lot of modification- most notably, an aftermarket ECU (Megasquirt), and T3/T4 turbo with custom manifold, downpipe and exhaust. It weighs 2100 lbs and is tuned and dyno’d at 200 whp and 200 wtq on a Mustang “heartbreaker” dyno, so probably 250 bhp at the crank as a manufacturer would measure. I also have full safety installed; roll bar, race seat, 6 point harness with HANS, etc. I’m very comfortable with wrenching and turbo tuning/management.

It has been a great car, but I’m up against some hard limits that come with the platform:
- I keep cracking exhaust manifolds, and nobody makes a robust one for a 1.6L.
- I have issues with overheating on hot days, and the car has pretty limited capacity for improvement.
-Poor aerodynamics, floppy chassis.
- The biggest tires I can fit without serious modification are 225.
- at 225hp or so, I will start bending rods and breaking transmissions.
- no A/C, power steering, windows, etc. The drive to the track is pretty brutal.

So right now I’m up against engine and tranny swaps and serious chassis mods to squeeze more out of the car.

By comparison the turbo Camaro comes stock with:
- robust, modern 2.0L motor
- OEM turbo setup with high quality/durable parts and performance upside
- excellent chassis with good aero and cooling capacity, comfortably fits wide tires and my big ass.
- huge aftermarket and OEM performance part availability from the 1LE stuff. Everything from suspension to brakes to aero.
- modern conveniences like air conditioning for the drive to/from the track.

I beat on these cars pretty good at the track and don’t want to drop serious coin on an SS or ZL1 1LE only to trash it. I also enjoy working on my cars and upgrading. The plan I’m considering is to start with a base model 2016 i4 turbo and build it to 10-11 whp/pound (so roughly 330whp) through performance mods and weight loss, while maintaining OEM-like reliability and cooling capacity. I will add performance suspension, brakes and tires as necessary although I suspect the stock stuff isn’t bad. It seems like I can get into one with 30-50k miles around $20k.

Anyone done this type of build? Any pointers or pitfalls? Thanks in advance.
Schroedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
tyler from zzp has a pretty well built one he drag races and road races give him a call im sure he can help you out and give you some info!

https://zzperformance.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgJUVPD_BwE
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
First off, **** Tyler from ZZP.

To answer your questions:
You can find a brand new 2018 2.0 for a little over $20,000 even with some dealership installed upgrades.

Make sure you get one with the GM "HD Cooling Package". This is very important to have it factory installed already. To do this after is insanely expensive.

Try to find one with dealership installed 6 piston brakes. If not, ZZP has an extremely affordable front brake kit. Pair it with some stainless steel brake lines and your set. (There is no rear brake upgrade kits for the 2.0/V6 yet because of how the rear electronic parking brake works. Good news is, it doesn't need any improvement. The stock 2 piston is fine for the rears).

For everything else there are tons of options for mods and upgrades. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Lol

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post

To answer your questions:
You can find a brand new 2018 2.0 for a little over $20,000 even with some dealership installed upgrades.

Make sure you get one with the GM "HD Cooling Package". This is very important to have it factory installed already. To do this after is insanely expensive.

Try to find one with dealership installed 6 piston brakes. If not, ZZP has an extremely affordable front brake kit. Pair it with some stainless steel brake lines and your set. (There is no rear brake upgrade kits for the 2.0/V6 yet because of how the rear electronic parking brake works. Good news is, it doesn't need any improvement. The stock 2 piston is fine for the rears).

For everything else there are tons of options for mods and upgrades. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

lol why say f*ck tyler?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
ZZP Social Media Ambassador Tyler made a miss step. Ask me how i know one when i see it and i could point out many of mine.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:

As Krops said I do track my car regularly. I've been running road course stuff for a few years with other cars, and this year in the Camaro. I've also been to the strip once this year. I'll toss a couple tips out there that I've picked up from driving.
  • Definitely grab one with the HD cooling package like Start The Machine said. I'll be going through and retrofitting the oil and trans cooler on my own car.
  • I'd personally opt for a manual with the LSD. The A8 is a great transmission, however it's not extremely responsive when it comes to using the paddle shifters. You can retrofit the LSD into the auto, but I'd say get a head start with the Manual that comes with one.
  • The stock rear sway bar definitely needs upgrading. I have our ZZP front sway and stock rear currently, and it does tend to understeer in a few situations.
  • My car's got full bolt ons, on an E blend and it makes almost exactly the power you're looking for. 325/375 on a tune that has taken lots of beatings out on the road course.

The chassis is extremely well set up from the factory. There's plenty of upgrades available suspension wise. I'll be switching from BC coils to Powell's YYZ springs and Bilsteins very soon. Not sure if you've run Gingerman, but my PR so far is 1:44.09 on a 275 Federal RS-RR. I know the car has plenty more in it as well.

The biggest thing with the LTG engine is taking care of it. They're a bit temperamental and have a reputation for eating pistons. If you use good oil (Mobil 1 ESP), good plugs (Denso ITV24), and good gas (premium minimum as I'm sure you'd use) it'll treat you well.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
ZZP_Tyler

Also, like Start mentioned, we will have our 6 piston front brake kit out very soon. We sell the calipers and rotors currently, but they need a bracket and brake line to bolt right up to our cars.

I've had the 6 pistons on for a few months now, and they're easily the best thing that I've done to the car. I had the tiny single piston stock brakes and these are WORLDS better. 6 pistons, DOT 4 fluid, and the OEM Brembo pads are an absolutely killer combo.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Schroedinger

Drives: prospective Camaro owner
Great feedback, thanks guys. Does the manual tranny come standard with LSD in the RS package?

Heard a rumor that 2.0 1LE’s can be had new for less than $30k. If so, seems like that would be the way to go.

I think these cars are about 3300 lb from the factory. How easy is it to drop some weight without doing a full race strip?
Schroedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
ZZP_Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedinger View Post
Great feedback, thanks guys. Does the manual tranny come standard with LSD in the RS package?

Heard a rumor that 2.0 1LE’s can be had new for less than $30k. If so, seems like that would be the way to go.

I think these cars are about 3300 lb from the factory. How easy is it to drop some weight without doing a full race strip?
IIRC yes the LSD comes with the RS standard. A 1LE would definitely be the way to go. Better suspension all around, and has the HD cooling included.

Mine weighed 3405 with my 19x10 Forgestars, entire interior, 1/4 tank of fuel, and my hefty 145 lbs self
Rear seat is 25ish I believe, stock seats are around 45lbs a piece, stock 20's are seemingly made of the world's heaviest steel too ha. Outside of that, until you start stripping interior pieces out there's not much more to remove.

Also, if you ever have any questions feel free to email me Tyler.V@zzperformance.com

Last edited by ZZP_Tyler; 06-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
ZZP_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
I approve of this message.

Also, I second hitting up Start The Machine with questions, he has a very good grasp on the type of set-up you would be looking into.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
The manual LSD comes with all levels of trim. If you can swing it up front, I would absolutely get the 1LE package. At that point all you have left to do is focus on the engine and exhaust. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET AN AUTOMATIC.

The best way to shed weight is to get rid of the stock rims made out of concrete and invest in some nice light drag rims in the front and rear if you're trying to drag race the car. They make a rear seat delete kit as well.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 06-20-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

why is everybody hating on tyler? hes just trying to help out the turbo camaro guys??
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
If you like to track your car then a turbo camaro is an excellent choice! 1le, like stated above, is an awesome track car and probably a very logical next step up from your built miata. However, if you wanna make the drive to eastern VA, or Maryland in the fall, these cars can go for $16k brand new for a base model. Also, all the 4 piston ss or 6 piston 1le brakes and high end suspension goodies all bolt up to the turbo camaro if your working on a budget.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote