Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2024, 09:09 AM   #15
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
RotoFab intake for sure. Good quality for the money and no fitment issues. Check in the Member Classifieds Section and you may find some used ones for sale.
Greg, are you FOR SURE, FOR SURE???!! My K&N is good quality, has no fitment issues and I paid $375 for it, which I think is good quality for the money...

JUST giving you a hard time friend!!. This is a "to each their own" situation. Glad you're liking the Roto-Fab
Old 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM   #16
Ericdared

Drives: 2022 Camaro zl1
Maybe also look at a new lid for the supercharger. I am pretty sure you can pick up some HP with it, and will get more of the whine sound. Not sure if you will need a tune or anything.
Ericdared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:37 AM   #17
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdared View Post
Maybe also look at a new lid for the supercharger. I am pretty sure you can pick up some HP with it, and will get more of the whine sound. Not sure if you will need a tune or anything.
I actually could tell a noticed power increase when I installed my DSX lid! Serious, and WOW the blower whine is awesome as well!

My DSX Lid starts at post #219

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611982
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:34 PM   #18
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Does anyone have experience with this CAI?

https://www.phastekperformance.com/a...6-51-74214.htm

Old 04-05-2024, 08:09 PM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTMARE23 View Post
Greg, are you FOR SURE, FOR SURE???!! My K&N is good quality, has no fitment issues and I paid $375 for it, which I think is good quality for the money...

JUST giving you a hard time friend!!. This is a "to each their own" situation. Glad you're liking the Roto-Fab
Yeah I know!👍
Old 04-05-2024, 09:00 PM   #20
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
I figured since I'm not doing any serious MODS till I get out of California that I would just get the bling for now.
Attached Images

IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:50 PM   #21
Caerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCWORTH View Post
I figured since I'm not doing any serious MODS till I get out of California that I would just get the bling for now.
I was thinking about the Elite Carbon Fiber as well until hawk02 in post #12 expressed some concerns that surprised me to hear. If these problems are still present in their design today, it would also be a no go for me.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:04 AM   #22
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
I was thinking about the Elite Carbon Fiber as well until hawk02 in post #12 expressed some concerns that surprised me to hear. If these problems are still present in their design today, it would also be a no go for me.
I have no issues with mine, fits under the hood well with no contact and have removed and installed a few times to do other things to the car.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:31 PM   #23
IMCWORTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
I will keep you posted
Old 04-06-2024, 11:13 PM   #24
Caerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I have no issues with mine, fits under the hood well with no contact and have removed and installed a few times to do other things to the car.
Thanks for the positive feedback that is encouraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCWORTH View Post
I will keep you posted
Yes thanks for any further feedback. Cheers for the selection.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM   #25
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Here are some photos to better illustrate my experience with the Elite Carbon Fiber intake.

The first is the gouge in the carbon fiber finish from the underside of my hood.

The second photo shows two of the pegs that broke off. They're just set into the carbon fiber when it's wet and then the carbon fiber hardens around them. They really should be fastened to the air box with screws in my opinion.

The first time the pegs broke off, I returned the intake to Cold Air Inductions for repair. They just glued them back on with some RTV silicone and returned it to me. The next time they broke off I used an epoxy glue. Unfortunately, that didn't keep them from breaking off either. For $1000, I expected much better.

My tip to anyone installing the Elite Carbon is to lubricate the heck out of the grommets and pegs with some dielectric grease. That will help reduce the chances of a broken peg. And keep an eye on the underside of the hood. You may need to make some adjustments to keep it from hitting the air box.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2024, 08:52 AM   #26
IMCWORTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Here are some photos to better illustrate my experience with the Elite Carbon Fiber intake.

The first is the gouge in the carbon fiber finish from the underside of my hood.

The second photo shows two of the pegs that broke off. They're just set into the carbon fiber when it's wet and then the carbon fiber hardens around them. They really should be fastened to the air box with screws in my opinion.

The first time the pegs broke off, I returned the intake to Cold Air Inductions for repair. They just glued them back on with some RTV silicone and returned it to me. The next time they broke off I used an epoxy glue. Unfortunately, that didn't keep them from breaking off either. For $1000, I expected much better.

My tip to anyone installing the Elite Carbon is to lubricate the heck out of the grommets and pegs with some dielectric grease. That will help reduce the chances of a broken peg. And keep an eye on the underside of the hood. You may need to make some adjustments to keep it from hitting the air box.
That is terrible!
Sound like the warranty is BS. Thanks for the heads up.

https://www.coldairinductions.com/warranty/
Old 04-07-2024, 02:14 PM   #27
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Thanks for posting that video! It's mine. I've received additional data from both SS 1LE's and other Camaro ZL1's with Rotofabs that validated my data. Pressure drop (airflow) is better at the expense of inlet air temps that are 10-15 degrees hotter, which actually drops power for a track car. Max boost psi goes up about .5 psi and ECU calculated HP goes down 10 HP.

The AFE intake looks interesting, but has a much smaller conical filter inside a tight fitting box. AFE posted a decent amount of data on their website, but unfortunately the dyno graph is with a plug removed from the box. Essentially, they opened up their sealed box. They claim 11% more airflow, but most likely with the plug open.

The AFE inlet tube also flares out right in front of the MAF, which could cause inaccurate low flow MAF readings. That could cause a rough idle.

I would love to hear from someone that has run one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I had a Roto-Fab on my Gen 5 ZL1 and purchased, installed, and returned the Cold Air Inductions Elite Carbon Fiber from my 2017 ZL1.

There were two reasons I returned the Elite Carbon Fiber Intake:
  1. The pegs that fit into the grommets on the ZL1 kept breaking off the air box. After the third time I gave up.
  2. The underside of my hood made contact with the top, left corner of the air box when closed causing a chip in the carbon fiber finish. My attempts to seat the air box to avoid it hitting the underside of the hood is when I broke the pegs.

The Carbon Elite looks fantastic under the hood but for $1000 it has some major mechanical isssues that were a no go for me.

As others have said, without a tune you’re not going to gain anything with an aftermarket intake besides supercharger whine and looks.

The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is to replace the paper OEM filter with a Green drop-in filter and remove the rain/snow blocker from behind the driver’s side headlight. This makes the path to the air box a little more direct which causes the engine to build boost faster which provides slightly more low-end grunt. Experience has show the OEM air box flows well up to approximately 700-750 rwhp.

This video has some interesting thoughts on the Roto-Fab:

If you’re interested in removing the rain/snow blocker see post #20 from this thread.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572018
Old 04-08-2024, 04:57 PM   #28
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Thanks for posting that video! It's mine. I've received additional data from both SS 1LE's and other Camaro ZL1's with Rotofabs that validated my data. Pressure drop (airflow) is better at the expense of inlet air temps that are 10-15 degrees hotter, which actually drops power for a track car. Max boost psi goes up about .5 psi and ECU calculated HP goes down 10 HP.

The AFE intake looks interesting, but has a much smaller conical filter inside a tight fitting box. AFE posted a decent amount of data on their website, but unfortunately the dyno graph is with a plug removed from the box. Essentially, they opened up their sealed box. They claim 11% more airflow, but most likely with the plug open.

The AFE inlet tube also flares out right in front of the MAF, which could cause inaccurate low flow MAF readings. That could cause a rough idle.

I would love to hear from someone that has run one.
This is interesting to me coming from a more of a motorcycle background than cars. A very common mod on the newer BMW S1000rr is to relocate the IAT sensor closer to the fresh air intake to get more horsepower. I am assuming this tricks the ECU into not restricting power because it thinks the temps are lower than where the stock position is.

More here:
http://bt-moto.com/product/2019-bmw-...relocation-kit
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote