#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
striker1le

Drives: '17 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Just run track mode ptm dry setting. You can floor it everywhere while not getting wheelspin. Makes a crazy noise too while doing it.
I've noticed that too. Without PTM, my wheels could spin or get power shut down completely when flooring it.
But with PTM on (wet, dry), My wheels don't spin, the power doesn't cut off completely but rather I hear this deep growl with controlled power which is kinda addicting. And the best part, you get the loud pops too!!
This has become my preferred mode while driving in the canyons.
striker1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
I've noticed that too. Without PTM, my wheels could spin or get power shut down completely when flooring it.
But with PTM on (wet, dry), My wheels don't spin, the power doesn't cut off completely but rather I hear this deep growl with controlled power which is kinda addicting. And the best part, you get the loud pops too!!
To add to your comment, PTM IS the mode you should use for canyon carving!!!

A lot of people don't know this, but the e-diff. will overdrive a lot more in the PTM settings to help you around a corner rather than staying in sport mode.

When I take a sharp corner at the same speed in both Sport or one of the PTM modes (usually Dry or Sport 1) the diff. binds faster in Sport mode, while PTM mode either leaves the diff. open longer or overdrives the outside wheel, or both and carries you thru the corner with greater speed and agility.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #17
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
Exactly, I would say if people aren't using these modes you are not experiencing the cars full potential. The noise alone is worth it.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Even with the nannies on, an over zealous right foot can still coax spin.

When accelerating up a highway onramp the other day, I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd (6 speed manual) when I gave it a little too much throttle and the ass got a little sideways. A gentle lift of the throttle brings it back in line. And I was in sport mode.

If you ask me, that is part of the fun of owning a ZL1. Just knowing that even with traction control fully on, she can still break loose if she wants to.

Get the car you really want. You will learn to control it sooner than you think.

And, she will generate many smiles per mile... :-)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Mine is almost permanently in PTM Race unless I'm on a long road trip.

I really don't like how the other modes completely cut power on traction loss, end up fighting the car way too much.

Also prefer how it changes the throttle sensitivity to initiate a downshift. Not great for MPG, but it's a worthy trade off.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
Mine is almost permanently in PTM Race unless I'm on a long road trip.

I really don't like how the other modes completely cut power on traction loss, end up fighting the car way too much.

Also prefer how it changes the throttle sensitivity to initiate a downshift. Not great for MPG, but it's a worthy trade off.
too bad you can't make it stay in that mode it's annoying how track mode reverts each time you shut it off.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:57 AM   #21
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
The ZL1 is a pu$$ycat. If you want the lion you've gotta provoke it.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
too bad you can't make it stay in that mode it's annoying how track mode reverts each time you shut it off.
Yeah it's just part of my ritual when I get in the car now. One day when the warranty is up I'll figure out how to program it to stay that way on startup.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #23
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
That's not a problem.

Had a friend who bought a 2012 ZL1. He advised me not to get a ZL1, said he was constantly breaking traction. Now I understand that 5th GEN ZL1 had a reputation for being a little raw and rough. But his comments were to be noted.

Another friend who is an HP addict. He made a comment once that his car was fun at around 600 RWHP. But at around 700 RWHP he felt like his right foot was resting on egg shells.

Lets use a firearm analogy. A 44 Magnum is an appealing gun. "The most powerful handgun in the world" (doubtful). But it big, expensive, ammunition is also, and if I only hunt squirrels, its not very practical. Makes more sense to stick with a lower caliber firearm. Likewise, if 98% of your driving is under 100 MPH, who needs a ZL1?

(Doesn't mean I wouldn't get a S&W 44 Magnum).

In the end we all make our own decisions.
Two things..

1, the .44 is definitely not the most powerful handgun in the world. My S&W 500 makes the 44 feels like a 38

2. As everyone stated, this car is very manageable with the right street tires. I keep mine in Track mode 90% of the time, and Sport mode 8% of the time.. rarely in Tour mode. But on Michelin 4S , car drives great, without much concern for loss of power or control .... granted I am only at 615/620 rwhp. I personally don't think I need anymore than that.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
the way around that is to save all of the Track mode settings under another mode, preferably one that you don't use. For example, save the Track Mode Settings (steering, suspension, exhaust) under Ice... the car will "wake up" in Ice, Tour, or Sport mode
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Two things..

1, the .44 is definitely not the most powerful handgun in the world. My S&W 500 makes the 44 feels like a 38

2. As everyone stated, this car is very manageable with the right street tires. I keep mine in Track mode 90% of the time, and Sport mode 8% of the time.. rarely in Tour mode. But on Michelin 4S , car drives great, without much concern for loss of power or control .... granted I am only at 615/620 rwhp. I personally don't think I need anymore than that.
S&W 500, that is a fun gun!
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
The stock Goodyear tires definitely need a good amount of heat before they become sticky. It was just a little over 65 degrees out and I was driving for about 7 or 8 minutes, enough to get all the temps up. I turned off traction control and did a strong 1st - 2nd gear pull from about 40 mph. It made it feel like I was driving on ice as the ass was sliding out. My ass puckered for sure, but it gave me a new respect for the car. The only time the traction control is turned off now is if I'm at the track with a solid burnout and the temperature is there, otherwise I let the ECU take control.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #27
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
S&W 500, that is a fun gun!
Have you seen the S&W 500 Bear Survival edition? HAHA