Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2020, 02:57 AM   #1
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
2019 2.0 6sp "clunking" in first gear

Hey everybody,

Is there a known issue or TSB or something with 6speed making a clunking sound in first gear? it happens to me sometimes but not all the time. Clunking sound, not a grinding sound coming from the clutch area. It's not a loud or sharp sound just low and quiet but noticeable when it happens. Usually it happens when i am moving along in first gear like in a parking lot and i let off the gas. It will happen whether i keep it in first gear and let off the gas or put the clutch in, take it out of first while letting off the gas. And like i mentioned before it wont always do it but when it does thats what i'm doing.

I got the car new a month ago and it had 80 miles so who knows how it was "test driven" before i got it. Since then i've only put on a little over 400 miles since i'm still breaking it in. Only took it to like 5k - 5.5k rpm once and every other time its only up to 4k rpm.

thoughts?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
100% normal for these cars.

My 2011, 2017, and 2018 all did/do it.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
100% normal for these cars.

My 2011, 2017, and 2018 all did/do it.

ok cool thank you, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong or something that i was doing wrong.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Not to sure if that's normal. My M6 has never done that. Take it to the dealership and have it looked at.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, RPI Designs SS 1LE Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Not to sure if that's normal. My M6 has never done that. Take it to the dealership and have it looked at.

I agree. Have it checked out. I don't know of any transmission clunk that should be considered normal. If it IS normal....then what is the sound???
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:35 AM   #6
BlueShadow

hmm, i guess i will get it checked out then.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Abubaca

I get that taking it in is a pain. And describing random noises is REALLY difficult. It may very well be nothing at all. At the same time however, without someone qualified actually hearing it, don't let anyone tell you it's normal. I know of nothing about these cars that suggests certain noises, whether it be YOUR noise or something else, should be any different than any other manual transmission on the road. We know of rear differential noises, we know of the A8 shudder, etc. etc., and I've even heard about possible second gear issues with the M6 (though I haven't read TOO much on the matter). ...but I've never heard of any normal noise with these transmissions that isn't anything worth worrying about. -and if enough people told me it WAS normal........I'd want to know what it is causing it before I decided NOT to take my brand new, fully warrantied car into the dealer.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:38 AM   #8
BlueShadow

Thinking about it some more the sound reminds me of the sound my ACT 6 puck used to make on my old Honda. That sound was like a chattering sound and there was a few of them in rapid succession until the clutch pedal was fully out and gas was in. With this one it sounds a little like that but its not a bunch of chatters its just one "clunk" and then its fine. It doesn't sound like metal on metal its probably the clutch or something
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Abubaca

Can you FEEL it? -Or just hear it?

A twin disc set up does have more moving parts, so I can't say that you should NEVER have any sounds or noises, but it's certainly not something I think you should feel. Like I said, it's hard to describe these things. Cars make noises all the time and it's no big deal. I only harp on these M6 issues because they really shouldn't make any noise that wouldn't expect from a new car, and for some reason on Camaro6, there are lots of people saying all these things are normal. Most of the time they're not normal. They shouldn't chatter or vibrate in first gear every time, they shouldn't clunk or pop everytime. It's a new car built by professional engineers at General Motors, using a Tremec transmission. They've done this before. They know how to do it. Not really new tech.

Still. Cars make noises. Hard to say over the internet what you've got going on.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Can you FEEL it? -Or just hear it?

Just hear it but i wasnt paying attention to how much of the clunk i can feel through the chassis. Will pay attention to it later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
It's a new car built by professional engineers at General Motors, using a Tremec transmission. They've done this before. They know how to do it. Not really new tech.

From what i've read assembly plants have some temp workers on the assembly lines. One guy in a YT comments section said that they worked in a plant and a new temp got hired on, were shown a few basic things at an assembly station and then they were left alone. Its just a story maybe true maybe not, but i've worked at other jobs where i've seen that same thing where a temp is hired, shown the basics of running a workstation and then left alone for a few days until a proper intro can be done. There was also this other YT vid i saw, i think by 1018 videos, where they were disassembling an LTG engine and one of the bolts on the timing chain was loose. Not sure if that bolt was supposed to be lose or not on the FSM but the guy on the clip seemed surprised by it.

So to me its more like designed by engineers, assembled by...who knows who. With my case there is also a bit of uncertainty with how the car was treated at the dealership. The plastic valve cover/engine cover was missing on mine when i was looking at it on the dealers lot. A few days after i drove it home i noticed some flaking icing like the Cinnabon stuff around the cupholder area. And of course it was a new car with 80 miles on it already before it was handed over to me. With that i always figure that a car with more then 5-10 miles on it might have had a test driver that had driven the car hard like red lining it or whatever. Or with this car may have even been used by someone at the dealership as their breakfast-go-getter car or something with that icing i found in the cupholder.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Abubaca

I'm not saying that there may or may NOT be something wrong. And your uncertainty with the dealership and with the potential assembly line workers is, or at least could be, spot on. All I'm trying to say is that if there's some noise that has your attention, do NOT consider it to be normal, ESPECIALLY with a new car under full warranty. Have it checked out. Other than an inconvenience, it won't hurt anything.

FWIW...the dealer would have to beat the CRAP outta the car to do any serious damage. Or be completely negligent on how they operated the car. A few pulls and burnouts as a demo car wouldn't cause any noticeable wear or damage.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Hey everybody,

Is there a known issue or TSB or something with 6speed making a clunking sound in first gear? it happens to me sometimes but not all the time. Clunking sound, not a grinding sound coming from the clutch area. It's not a loud or sharp sound just low and quiet but noticeable when it happens. Usually it happens when i am moving along in first gear like in a parking lot and i let off the gas. It will happen whether i keep it in first gear and let off the gas or put the clutch in, take it out of first while letting off the gas. And like i mentioned before it wont always do it but when it does thats what i'm doing.

I got the car new a month ago and it had 80 miles so who knows how it was "test driven" before i got it. Since then i've only put on a little over 400 miles since i'm still breaking it in. Only took it to like 5k - 5.5k rpm once and every other time its only up to 4k rpm.

thoughts?
Normal! My 2016 SS and 2019 SS both do/did it. Dont waste your time at the dealership
Check out here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459535
Especially post #6, which is most likely the response you will get from your dealership if they can be trusted. If not, im sure they will find something that is “broken” on the car
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #13
Abubaca

From that thread:
Quote:
It likes to clunk until you get used to managing your revs around the shifts. It takes some getting used to, but I keep my revs up higher, this tranny doesn't like to putt from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. It shifts smoother at higher rpms, like around 3000.

Quote:
An easy way to recreate the noise is to put load on the transmission (start going up a hill at 5 mph in second gear) and then clutch in really fast. When the transmission unloads you will hear this clunking metal sound.

...and I'll say the same thing I said in that thread...in so many words. If you're not driving the car properly, then yeah...I suppose weird sounds are normal. Does that mean this will destroy the trans of cause major problems? -No, not saying that. If you slip the clutch a lot, it'll burn up the clutch. THis is normal. If you don't slip the clutch enough, it can cause shuddering and possible sounds and noises as the energy from engine to trans to rear , or vice versa, transfers too quickly. Again, if you DO this....then those sounds are normal.