Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-23-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
yourmomshouse

Drives: 2016 2SS 6MT
Sway bar for 200tw square setup

I'm currently running a square setup on my SS non 1LE.
Springs are BMR and I have MRC. I like the balance. there is no understeer and I can rotate it with the throttle. However I'm looking for less roll. I run either 305 or 315 square, always 200tw. Should I look into Hotchkiss bars? Or OEM SS 1LE since those cars are designed for the 220tw GY SC3 tires? I'm hesitant about the 1le bars because the 1lrle has a staggered setup, so I'm thinking those bars might introduce oversteer on my setup. I like that the aftermarket ones are adjustable. Input from experienced guys will be appreciated
yourmomshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have full afe power bars on my ss that i track alot and i love the feeling i have it setup to middle on front/rear never had any issues and car doesnt feel loose just right
Old 08-23-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
A much stiffer front bar will really help, especially for slaloms. Hotchkis have been hard to get for a long time, but that bar + a ZLE rear bar works great for me. I have both set in the middle setting.

Magride springs for both SS and SLE are pretty soft though, bars help for sure but eventually I'll have to give up magride for coils with a more appropriate spring rate.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Well, if you like the balance now, then best to keep the front and rear bar stiffness increase the same. What guys seem to favor is hotchkiss front and BMR rear. BMR rear is too stiff and will get you oversteer most likely. Hotchkiss rear is on the softer side but can still work, if you use the soft hole for front and mid hole rear. But as you say bars are on b/o so not a lot of help. The AFE bars Kropscamaro uses seem good, but no data on stiffness or wall sizes so not a lot there to know if they will work for your setup.

Last edited by VR Baron; 08-23-2023 at 07:40 PM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:56 PM   #5
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I think it's really a personal preference on how you like the car handling. I think the best thing is to get adjustable bars so you can dial it in how you like it. The adjustments absolutely make a difference in the handling of the car. The only negative I've read about any of them is the BMR front bar blows out the bushings and you need to get some kind of upgrade for it.

Personally I run Hotchkis front and rear, and I've had success with them same as others with different brands and even mix matched brands. They all seem to get the job done.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #6
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
My $0.02

OE bars are set up to under steer with the OE tire sizes. When you increase the front tire width, ie run a square setup on a car that was staggered, the car becomes more or less neutral. That's what you are experiencing now.

My suggestion would be to go with the FE4, ZL1/SS1LE, bars. That will be an increase in roll resistance compared to what you have and retain a more or less neutral behavior with a square tire setup.
My suggestion is based on the difficulty in finding a Hotchis front bar.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
My $0.02

OE bars are set up to under steer with the OE tire sizes. When you increase the front tire width, ie run a square setup on a car that was staggered, the car becomes more or less neutral. That's what you are experiencing now.

My suggestion would be to go with the FE4, ZL1/SS1LE, bars. That will be an increase in roll resistance compared to what you have and retain a more or less neutral behavior with a square tire setup.
My suggestion is based on the difficulty in finding a Hotchis front bar.

Good luck
I was going to suggest that as well. With caveats. Op never said if he races or just street use. That said, his BMR springs are same as the 1le but stiffer in the rear by 80/100 lbs per inch, so a bit more oversteer bias. And the rear 1le bar is solid, at 27 mm it’s stiffer a bit than a 28mm hollow bar. So all together he may get too much oversteer. He will just have to decide what to try and give it shot at this point
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #8
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmomshouse View Post
I'm currently running a square setup on my SS non 1LE.
Springs are BMR and I have MRC. I like the balance. there is no understeer and I can rotate it with the throttle. However I'm looking for less roll. I run either 305 or 315 square, always 200tw. Should I look into Hotchkiss bars? Or OEM SS 1LE since those cars are designed for the 220tw GY SC3 tires? I'm hesitant about the 1le bars because the 1lrle has a staggered setup, so I'm thinking those bars might introduce oversteer on my setup. I like that the aftermarket ones are adjustable. Input from experienced guys will be appreciated
The best bars out there are HOTCHKIS but they are HARD to get, I have BMR adjustible bars at FULL STIFF on front and rear. All I run is SQUARE set ups including street tires, 200TW and SLICKS. If you run BMR you MUST get the Billet Front bushing holders for the front sway bar part number SBB010 or you can split the bushings due to the fact that the STOCK bushing holders do NOT offer enough support under HEAVY use, This is what BADDAWG was referring to in his post above.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:58 PM   #9
kprusank93

Drives: 2020 Rally Green SS 1LE
hotchkis - ran it all season in Gridlife
kprusank93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:25 PM   #10
khorn45

Drives: 2021 SS1LE
Hotchkis front and rear or just front?
khorn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:52 AM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
FWIW, I don't think any particular sway bar is magic. They all do the same thing in the same way. The BMR front bar is a bit less stiff at the same settings as the Hotchkis due to its thinner tube walls, but has the same 1.25" outer dimension. On its softest setting it's almost identical to the SS 1LE (FE4) front bar, and the two stiffer settings are stiffer than stock. The AFE front bar is a bigger diameter and way stiffer, as I recall.

The downfall to the BMR front bar is the terrible frame bushings and brackets they use: at either medium or hard settings on the bar, the bushings blow out in short order. The solution is to get different bushings and brackets: the ones that come with the Hotchkis bar work well, or you can put a lot more for the fancy billet brackets and bushings that BMR sells. There are probably other good options from other companies, but I haven't looked into them because I'm using the Hotchkis bushings and brackets. I know for a fact that you can buy the poly bushings as a stand-alone purchase from Hotchkis because I bought a spare set just in case I the bushings I have fail at an out-of-town event. You may also be able to buy the brackets, but I'm not sure. If you can, then I'd just get the BMR front bar and the Hotchkis bushings and brackets and be done with it.