Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-11-2017, 02:50 AM   #29
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
My 2017 1LE had the same problem about 3 weeks into ownership. Completely frayed that harness and the car went into limp mode leaving me stranded.

Tim @ EFI-Tuning was kind enough to help me cross reference the code I was getting to a location. Sure enough those wires down there were completely cut. I jerry rigged it on the side of the road, got it home, took it apart and fixed it properly and ended up zip-tieing it out of the way.

Wish I would have saw your post earlier I could have told you exactly where to look!
Oh man I wish you shared your experience here, it would've saved us a lot of trouble for sure Mine started doing this like 8-9 days ago but there were a couple other threads (which I shared in the OP) and it seems like your missed those. Oh well, I hope everyone sees this and check theirs accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
2017 2SS A8 here and no wires like that near the belt.
good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
More pics from my borescope camera. It's crappy quality b/c it's only like 1-2MP camera. Can't get enough room to get my phone in there for pics.

#1 shows the 2 wires running from the A/C compressor which are at least 3" from the belt
#2 shows looking from the belt to the harness plug all 3 wires connect to
#3 top angle of the belt looking at the 3rd wire which I believe is the same one OP had damage too (can't tell where it goes from this harness). About 2 inches of space and below the belt.
#4 tried to get some better light and a farther shot of the 2 wires/belt
#5 That's the plug all 3 wires go into. It does not look like a crank position sensor and seems to be attached to the side of the EPS.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I am not sure where it actually goes into TBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Is this it? Sorry, pic upside down.

I have about 1.5 to 2 inches clearance.

Build date is december 2016.
It looks like it
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #30
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
glamcem,
Thanks for pointing this out. I checked mine and it appeared to be in a similar spot to yours. I would estimate maybe 1/2 - 1" of clearance though. I could not see any signs of wear, but I also only have ~250 miles on my car and have not really had it above 4k RPM.

I zip tied the section that loops around to the main harness (toward the closed end of the loop). There's much more clearance now, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure there continues to be adequate clearance with this initial solution.

Thanks again! You saved some of us a potential trip to the dealer.

This is really a crappy routing design for the harness for it to potentially be that close to the belt. GM should fix this ASAP before they end up with a ton of warranty claims and unhappy customers!!
Glad to be a help. I agree it is definitely worth checking. I've never had the CEL or other issues people mentioned but I think I was pretty close to having them all
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #31
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Good find with this fellas...will make fixing this issue for anyone dealing with it a piece of cake.

So those of you who had wires exposed...you just used electrical tape and covered them back up? You weren't worried if any of the actual wire was worn off?

I haven't had any issues in my 800 miles, but I will check mine this weekend. I have a late November '16 build date.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Thanks for the info, will check mine asap!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #33
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:

yes, that is it. it looks to me like it plugs into a connector that makes a right angle. There is a metal bracket which holds the assembly to the block with a bolt. I think the plastic part has a portion which protrudes inside the block. From what I can see from GM parts diagrams, the crankshaft sensor does NOT make the 90 degree bend, while the camshaft sensor does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
2017 2SS A8 here and no wires like that near the belt.
So, the new puzzler... why would it not be present on an automatic?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #34
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:

Yep those are it. Seems like the only people with issues thus far were the 1LE cars. Mine being one of them
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Recall??? Service advisory??? Tech. Service Bulletin???
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #36
slick3

The wire on mine that was cut had to do with the dynamic oil pressure sensor. Basically it will modulate open more and less to bump up or down oil pressure. When it got cut, it basically got stuck at 60 pounds of oil pressure, the guage would not move at all...

As far as the code... I actually made a thread about it here...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477789
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #37
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Yep those are it. Seems like the only people with issues thus far were the 1LE cars. Mine being one of them
Mine is a 1SS manual, but does not have the 1LE package and mine was uncomfortably close to the belt (1/2" away). I zip tied it further out of the way to ensure this would not be an issue.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
ctrlz

Some pictures of the LT-1. First in the corvette:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-conte...-Engine-02.jpg
and the Camaro:
http://gmpowertrain.com/2016_images/...L-(S)-HiR2.jpg
Both show the same sensor mounted on the left side of the top of the timing chain cover. You can see the blue wires coming off in the corvette. That raised circle next to the sensor corresponds to the front end of the camshaft. I'm still betting that is the camshaft position sensor.

The harness we are talking about here seems to be connected lower on the block and is not visible in either picture.
I am changing my guess to crankshaft position sensor.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #39
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
and the Camaro:
Both show the same sensor mounted on the left side of the top of the timing chain cover. You can see the blue wires coming off in the corvette. That raised circle next to the sensor corresponds to the front end of the camshaft. I'm still betting this is the camshaft position sensor.
Those were in fact the wires. I cant remember which one of mine was frayed, but as I posted above, the codes I got for it were in my thread I started a few months ago. It definitely had to do with the oil pressure sensor.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #40
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
yes, that is it. it looks to me like it plugs into a connector that makes a right angle. There is a metal bracket which holds the assembly to the block with a bolt. I think the plastic part has a portion which protrudes inside the block. From what I can see from GM parts diagrams, the crankshaft sensor does NOT make the 90 degree bend, while the camshaft sensor does.

So, the new puzzler... why would it not be present on an automatic?
It's on autos too, think he was just stating like mine the wires are not close enough to belt to cause alarm, unlike the those with the real issue.

Quote:
and the Camaro:
Both show the same sensor mounted on the left side of the top of the timing chain cover. You can see the blue wires coming off in the corvette. That raised circle next to the sensor corresponds to the front end of the camshaft. I'm still betting this is the camshaft position sensor.
Quote:
Those were in fact the wires. I cant remember which one of mine was frayed, but as I posted above, the codes I got for it were in my thread I started a few months ago. It definitely had to do with the oil pressure sensor.
Yep so it has to be oil pressure sensor then but may have wires going to other sensors converging in that harness. Now why would oil pressure sensor trigger surging? Limp mode I could understand as the computer is attempting to protect the engine. May be just because the signal was fluctuating bad enough to cause the computer to put it in Limp mode?

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #41
ctrlz

Ahh, slick3, you quoted me before I corrected myself.
The sensor is lower than the one we can see in the pics.
Changed my guess to crankshaft position sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Yep so it has to be oil pressure sensor...
Ya, think? Aren't those usually higher up where pressure drop could cause problems?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #42
slick3

Maybe it was loosing oil pressure signal and the surge was pulling timing or spark in an effort to not kill itself? When mine went. The screen came on reduced power mode. And im telling myself "car feels fine and I have oil and fuel pressure, temp are good, its not knocking WTF" I took off from a stop and then it started to buck and surge then it really went into RP Mode. Like 3 miles an hour tops.

My guess is the surging was a bad signal and the computer was implementing failsafes in and out to prevent damage. Likely spark or tons of fuel.