Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #43
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I don't mean to bring back an older thread, but while trying to determine what expansion tank I want to go with I had a thought: I'm wondering if anyone has ever combined both the Synergy Fender tank (Or any Fender tank) with a capped reservoir (Like the ADM). I like the capacity of the Synergy, and the ease of use when it comes to bleeding of the ADM style reservoir. Would it be possible to combine the 2 for a little added capacity and bleeding simplicity? Just a thought..
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #44
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I don't mean to bring back an older thread, but while trying to determine what expansion tank I want to go with I had a thought: I'm wondering if anyone has ever combined both the Synergy Fender tank (Or any Fender tank) with a capped reservoir (Like the ADM). I like the capacity of the Synergy, and the ease of use when it comes to bleeding of the ADM style reservoir. Would it be possible to combine the 2 for a little added capacity and bleeding simplicity? Just a thought..
That’s not a bad idea having the best of both worlds. I can’t see why it can’t be daisychained
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #45
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

I think that is a great idea... and could be easily done.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #46
STALKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
I think that is a great idea... and could be easily done.
I may give it a shot.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
Old 12-05-2023, 05:06 PM   #47
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Quote:
I did something very similar. I have the WPX boost chiller, and it comes with a 2 gallon bumper tank. The tank doesn't have a fill location, so you are still required to fill the system with the OEM port. Also, I found out on road course track that the bumper tank sloshed all of the coolant to one side of the tank and starved the IC pump on high G left corners. As soon as the pump gets air in it, it shuts off and boils the coolant.

I added the Cordes expansion tank, and it fixed both issues. The Cordes tank holds almost another gallon, the bottom line feeds the pump directly (no starving the pump), and it has a fill cap. It is super easy to fill and bleed the system now.

I decided to go Cordes over ADM because the ADM is plastic and sits directly above the headers. With the Cordes being aluminum, I was able to insulate it with 1/4" foam to keep it cooler.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:16 PM   #48
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I'm running the 2 gallon fender tank with magnuson capped tank. Just consider suction/pressure side of the pump and how it will fill the system.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610199
Old 12-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #49
ZLElvira
Waiting 4 A Point By!

Drives: 2020 ZLE, C8 Z06-Z07 2LT Carbon
Cool I made my own...

After looking at a lot of alternatives... I decided to make my own expansion tank, but wanted to make sure the cap was pressure regulated to allow for thermal expansion. None of the systems currently available to my knowledge have a pressure cap, just an o-ring/gasket sealed cap.

I do plan to expand my heat exchanger cooling system as soon a ONE MORE OF YOU GET ON THE SOCAL.M6.ZLE LIST!!! What'cha' waiting for?!??

SO... in light of needing the expansion of fluid in the near future, I spent hours scouring the internet for different models of tanks. I wanted it to be clear, so when at the track... I could see the fluid moving. I also did not want aluminum mounted to the radiator fan or in front of the radiator support, as I knew it would just be more weight ahead of the front wheels. Having the expansion tank HIGHER than the bricks means all the bubbles rise to the tank and never are ingested by the pump. The tank I used is from the 2003/04 Ford SVT Cobra Mustang... nice to have found a part developed specifically for the intercooling expansion rates. Below is a video explaining my thought process and the madnehs of making the bracket. ENJOY!!

Oh yeah... I also removed the heat shield pan from under the hood and that alone did more to drop the MATs than expanding the cooling system.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #50
Nimair.ZL1

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Any one know the routing of the lines if running the adm reservoir and dms 2 gallon fender tank? What line from the dms tank goes to the reservoir and what line from the reservoir goes to the sc?
Nimair.ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:17 PM   #51
STALKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
I did something very similar. I have the WPX boost chiller, and it comes with a 2 gallon bumper tank. The tank doesn't have a fill location, so you are still required to fill the system with the OEM port. Also, I found out on road course track that the bumper tank sloshed all of the coolant to one side of the tank and starved the IC pump on high G left corners. As soon as the pump gets air in it, it shuts off and boils the coolant.

I added the Cordes expansion tank, and it fixed both issues. The Cordes tank holds almost another gallon, the bottom line feeds the pump directly (no starving the pump), and it has a fill cap. It is super easy to fill and bleed the system now.

I decided to go Cordes over ADM because the ADM is plastic and sits directly above the headers. With the Cordes being aluminum, I was able to insulate it with 1/4" foam to keep it cooler.
Nice!

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
Old 12-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #52
STALKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLElvira View Post
After looking at a lot of alternatives... I decided to make my own expansion tank, but wanted to make sure the cap was pressure regulated to allow for thermal expansion. None of the systems currently available to my knowledge have a pressure cap, just an o-ring/gasket sealed cap.

I do plan to expand my heat exchanger cooling system as soon a ONE MORE OF YOU GET ON THE SOCAL.M6.ZLE LIST!!! What'cha' waiting for?!??

SO... in light of needing the expansion of fluid in the near future, I spent hours scouring the internet for different models of tanks. I wanted it to be clear, so when at the track... I could see the fluid moving. I also did not want aluminum mounted to the radiator fan or in front of the radiator support, as I knew it would just be more weight ahead of the front wheels. Having the expansion tank HIGHER than the bricks means all the bubbles rise to the tank and never are ingested by the pump. The tank I used is from the 2003/04 Ford SVT Cobra Mustang... nice to have found a part developed specifically for the intercooling expansion rates. Below is a video explaining my thought process and the madnehs of making the bracket. ENJOY!!

Oh yeah... I also removed the heat shield pan from under the hood and that alone did more to drop the MATs than expanding the cooling system.

WOW!!! Awesome idea using the Cobra tank. How have those hood brackets held up, and how much have they helped with temps on the track?

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock

Last edited by STALKER; 12-06-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #53
CalgaryZL1

I’m going with the bleed often properly process, there’s no way i am paying $500 Canadian plus shipping for $40 worth of aluminum, if I do decide it’s needed I will build it myself for $40 plus zero dollars labour
Old 12-06-2023, 06:57 PM   #54
CalgaryZL1

Quote:

That’s exactly what I would do if I didn’t have my catch can in that location, great installation video
Old 01-10-2024, 03:22 AM   #55
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
There was a thread on expansion tanks that I saw a few months ago. And somebody had discovered that the OEM Chevy Cruze, or something like that, the tank was either the same or close to the same as the ADM expansion tank. Does anybody remember this. or have the thread on this?
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:37 PM   #56
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Great video David.... I am going to consider a similar change to my hood cover! I also agree... I need one more person, and some contact info so i can make my first production run of custom crash bars
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote