Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #29
RedHot_1SS_1LE
Mike

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
As others have chimed in, it is likely your excessive toe.
My tires last a good 6-7 days (4x30min sessions per day) in instructor group. They wear very evenly even with some DD. 2.6F and 1.6R camber. Very slight toe out in F and 0.2 in ( total toe) in R (0.1 would be better but the tech could not dial it for some reason). I do NOT flip my tires, because they wear very evenly with my settings.
I have corded one set (on the inside) but it was on a very abrasive surface on day 5.
They do not fall off pace wise in my experience.
Here's a pic, which is similar to what TheRealJA posted.
These look great compared to mine. My alignment specs are very close to yours now, so hopefully I'll get better wear from this set.
RedHot_1SS_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #30
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Agree completely. I just want to know how did you get into my garage and borrow my rears? Send them back asap I have a track day soon!
As long as you don't want the 4 freshies in the background haha!
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #31
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
As long as you don't want the 4 freshies in the background haha!
Nah most tires are better right before you hit the wear bars so they are safe!
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #32
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I had my pre-track inspection with a euro shop .. I asked the service tech about flipping the tires and he told me “the sidewall on these tires would make you absolutely hate them... PSC tires and some other “inside/outside” tires but I would not flip these”.

I tend to believe you all who flip them but do you notice different handling characteristics or anything?

Here’s what my fronts look after 3 one-day events for reference. I plan on getting the track alignment once I put my next set of SC3s on.
I would not worry about flipping these. Especially that your wear will further benefit from a track alignment.
Tons of life left in these btw. Enjoy!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #33
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Nah most tires are better right before you hit the wear bars so they are safe!
Most people don't believe this when you tell them tho
Old 08-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #34
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Two questions:

1) once those little wear dimples (on the outer 1/3 of tire) disappear, how long til the cords? Not sure I’ve seen this answered... I’d hate to throw away the best portion of tire but also don’t wanna hit the cords first session of the next weekend.

2) is it reasonable to swap just the fronts since they naturally wear faster and then wait to do the rears?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #35
TheRealJA105

You can and absolutely should just swap your fronts. Most of us go thru fronts 2x as fast as rears. Also I've never seen the dimple gone so if you are actually that far I can't believe you haven't corded the outside edge. The outside grooves can be slick and still have plenty of life, but those dimples are the end of the tread depth. Can you post a picture of your tires?
Old 08-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #36
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
You can and absolutely should just swap your fronts. Most of us go thru fronts 2x as fast as rears. Also I've never seen the dimple gone so if you are actually that far I can't believe you haven't corded the outside edge. The outside grooves can be slick and still have plenty of life, but those dimples are the end of the tread depth. Can you post a picture of your tires?
I was asking preemptively ... here’s a pic. Trying to predict the future and avoid wasting good tire ... sorry for all the questions!

funny that you say you swap fronts and not rears bc a PCA instructor (GT350 owner) told me that I shouldn’t swap just the fronts bc I could end up with an adhesion differential front to rear ... I said that it made sense ... but since you’ve done it, I also believe you lol. Maybe keeping the same compound is enough to keep the delta reasonable.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #37
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
TheRealJA105
What hot pressures are you running?
Are you running G1F3 R or non R?
Last one:
What alignment settings are you running?

I'm running street
Front
total toe 0.20 (in)
camber -1.2
caster 9.3
Rear
total toe 0.14 (in)
camber -1.5

At the track, camber plates adjusted to -2.3 which pushes total toe to ~ -0.2 (out)
37-38 psi front & 35-37 psi rear hot

At the track it looks like I could tolerate a bit more camber both front & rear
It doesn't appear as though I'll cord the insides at my current settings

This is after 3 track days and ~ 3000 miles on these tires
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #38
TheRealJA105

Quote:
I was asking preemptively ... here’s a pic. Trying to predict the future and avoid wasting good tire ... sorry for all the questions!

funny that you say you swap fronts and not rears bc a PCA instructor (GT350 owner) told me that I shouldn’t swap just the fronts bc I could end up with an adhesion differential front to rear ... I said that it made sense ... but since you’ve done it, I also believe you lol. Maybe keeping the same compound is enough to keep the delta reasonable.
Some people are way too conservative is all I can say fopr that PCA instructors opinion...
Hard to get a good view of your tire wear with the pic being so close but it does look like you are mostly slick on the outter tread with some life left shown by the dimple depth. However if i am seeing it right it looks like the smaller outside grooves are still on the edge, showing that you aren't pushing the tire hard enough. Try to take a picture more like h018871's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
TheRealJA105
What hot pressures are you running?
Are you running G1F3 R or non R?
Last one:
What alignment settings are you running?

I'm running street
Front
total toe 0.20 (in)
camber -1.2
caster 9.3
Rear
total toe 0.14 (in)
camber -1.5

At the track, camber plates adjusted to -2.3 which pushes total toe to ~ -0.2 (out)
37-38 psi front & 35-37 psi rear hot

At the track it looks like I could tolerate a bit more camber both front & rear
It doesn't appear as though I'll cord the insides at my current settings

This is after 3 track days and ~ 3000 miles on these tires
I am just running regular G3s and to be honest i never really pay attention to hot pressures. I've been starting at 27 cold and just accept that after 3 hotlaps the tires will be getting greasy without a cooldown. Granted i'm not saying they fall off a cliff and are garbage greasy, but i won't be putting down any PBs after 3 laps.

Your tire wear looks exceptional so far. You are the first one i've heard of that is having success by adjusting your camber plates between street and track. Everyone says it throws the toe too far out to even be worthwhile. Even the ZLE guys state that rotating their top hats does this.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #39
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Interesting you all are also seeming to get a little more wear in the middle of the tire. I thought I was simply running pressures too high on the track / street, but maybe that's just how the G3 wears.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #40
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

Looks like you need more camber to even out the wear across. I run 2.6F 1.6R and get this, which is pretty good imo. By the time the fronts look like this the rears are pretty much done as well. So i swap all 4 at the same time. But, personally, i like new tires
Attached Images

TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #41
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
You can and absolutely should just swap your fronts.
+1 I have done this and didn't notice a grip difference front to rear before vs. after. My fronts and rears have been wearing at a similar rate so far in general.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #42
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:

Your tire wear looks exceptional so far. You are the first one i've heard of that is having success by adjusting your camber plates between street and track. Everyone says it throws the toe too far out to even be worthwhile. Even the ZLE guys state that rotating their top hats does this.
I've got more caster, which could be the difference