Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Exclamation Project Dancing Dragon: 1LT, 3000lbs, 600hp LTG

Welcome to:
PROJECT DANCING DRAGON

The build, the journey and the numerous pit stops and pit falls along the wayl!

INTRODUCTION

Right off the hop, let me get this outta the way... I understand this will be a controversial build with lofty goals and it might ruffle a few feathers... And that's ok in my books
Regardless of whether you support my build ideas and goals or not I hope you all enjoy the ride and contribute/ criticize constructively to the thread.... Otherwise don't bother as I will be ignoring the 'haters'.

I'm new to the build game, (but not to cars, I've got a solid grasp on the basics) so I plan on reaching out here for help and guidance. Nothing about this build is set in stone yet save this: the car is a daily driver first and track toy second. All aspects of the build will follow that formula and I imagine I'll be refering back to this frequently

One more thing... Yes, I realize my horse power goals would be much easier to achieve with a V8, (duh ) but on the other side of that coin, my weight goals would've been impossible to reach without it being a gutted shell (in clear violation of the DD vision). Also, neither myself or my fiance have any buisness piloting a 600hp sports car (or even a 400hp one). We both have significant 'driver mods' to accomplish before we need ANY extra power.

... I think that covers the boring stuff...
...now on with what you all came here for...

GOALS & AMBITIONS

As the title says: 3000lbs, 600hp...
Lets break that down: 3000lbs no driver or gas, approx 3250lbs with me and a full tank... So basically I need to drop my weight+gas+50lbs to hit that goal (rough estimate based on hard facts). 550-600whp on race gas/ high boost and methanol... For various organized 'competitions'. 450-475whp pump gas/low boost... Daily driver mode.

In the near future the two of us would like to get in some HPDE days at our local track (Calabogie speedway) and then progress to some autox; eventually working ourselves up (read skills) to open track days ... Along the way some 1/4 and 1/2 mile action... Basically we want a 'jack of all traits' car, it doesn't need to be the BEST at anyone thing, but very COMPETENT at everything (maybe not rock crawling )

Sidenote: My old man had a '76 camaro as I grew up which was just a beast of a car for the late '80's early '90's... His personal best was a 10.9x @ 125mph on dot approved tires, guess what? I wanna go that fast too... On half the cylinders and about 1/3 the displacement (lets hear it for technology!)

Like already stated this is a street car first. So it takes alot of things off the table at the get go:

Roll cage? Nope
Crazy expensive 'wear items'? (brakes, tires, ect.) Nope
Laggy (but huge power) turbo? Nope
Heavy clutch? Hope not
Ect...

That said, both the fiance and myself are enthusiasts, so we may be willing to put up with some minor inconveniences that Joe Somebody couldn't deal with:

Minor increases in noise and vibrations from dampener/tire and suspension link mods
Difficult entry and exit from better/higher bolstered seats
Increased intake/exhaust noise (sweet )
Reduced clearance from lowered suspension/front splitter
Ect...

Hmmm...It should go without saying that the car needs to go about the above tire smoking antics without 'complaints'. For example: If the car does indeed end up making 600hp it needs to MAINTAIN said power without overheating on the track during the hot days of summer. No dyno queen here, that's totally opposite to what this build is about!
If the DANCING DRAGON build ends up being brutally responsive and survives vicious punishment, but only makes 525hp and runs a 11.2x in the quarter?... I'll get over it (but not all at once)

Is this possible?(probably) Are the parts available to make this happen?(mostly) I'm I crazy enough to do it?(yes... Hell I'm answering my own questions)
I guess last thing is this won't be an over night build... Parts need to be deveolped still (like a certain stroker kit). I'm not made of money either (to bad lol...). Also, my standards are high and I want everything done right without compromise.

Think that about covers this section and post #1
Please pick my brain and offer your suggestions!

Cheers,
Corner carver
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-15-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Corner carver

Baseline Exercises

(Data collection devices, baseline performance numbers, pics, dyno charts...More insights to my madness )

*under construction*
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Corner carver

Chassis and Rolling Stock

(Wheels, tires, suspension links, bushings, brakes, chassis bracing, springs, struts and alignment specs)

*under construction*

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
Corner carver

Power Production and Tuning

(Bolt-ons, engine internals, custom parts and tuning)

*under construction*

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-07-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Corner carver

Cosmetic: Interior/Exterior

(Body panels, paint, lighting, badges and aero)

*under construction*

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-07-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I for one would love to see a big power LTG build! Are you going to do something along the lines of an LTG 1LE, or what are your end goals in terms of application?

Most of my modern tuning experience is with boosted 4-cylinders, so this feels natural to me.

I will say, 600 HP out of 2.0L is lofty to still be usable and fun. There will be compromises in boost threshold and usable RPM band. Are you planning a nitrous spool? I would highly recommend being realistic with your turbo sizing, e.g. GTX3071R Gen II.

I definitely look forward to seeing how this progresses!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I for one would love to see a big power LTG build! Are you going to do something along the lines of an LTG 1LE, or what are your end goals in terms of application?

Most of my modern tuning experience is with boosted 4-cylinders, so this feels natural to me.

I will say, 600 HP out of 2.0L is lofty to still be usable and fun. There will be compromises in boost threshold and usable RPM band. Are you planning a nitrous spool? I would highly recommend being realistic with your turbo sizing, e.g. GTX3071R Gen II.

I definitely look forward to seeing how this progresses!
Check out the first post again, just added some more details that will answer most of your questions
As far as turbos... Been eye balling the BorgWarner EFR 7163 but not 100% certain. Great spool characteristics and 500+hp power capacity
And get outta my head about the Nos ... There could very well be a bottle in this car's future

*first post is still being worked on!* check back on it over the next few days
Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Holy smokes!!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Holy smokes!!
Was wondering when you would show up with that popcorn!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Was wondering when you would show up with that popcorn!
Yes sir! Wow, this is awesome. I wish you only the best my friend and of course hitting those numbers. I think I have a new favorite thread.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Yes sir! Wow, this is awesome. I wish you only the best my friend and of course hitting those numbers. I think I have a new favorite thread.
Thanks kindly, it will be no small feat to meet those goals... But if there's a more stubborn person than me I've yet to meet him
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Corner carver

As this is actually my fiance's 3 season (ok 1 season up here) daily driver, she has a vested interest in this thread... Happy to annouce it's thumbs up on all fronts!

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-15-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Corner carver

Post#1 Finished up (whew!) check it out
Post#2 I promise it will start with some eye candy!

Last edited by Corner carver; 03-14-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Well atleast two of us are documenting our builds to help others.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote