Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I can imagine that has had quite a few broken parts unless they upgraded the internals. Which we can do through ZZP now.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
With 30 psi boost, that motor doesn't go far between rebuilds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
That's crazy...

I, too....want to know how often they have to rebuilt that, or have failures...
Manifold pressure has little to do with requiring engine rebuilds. The amount of power vs. materials used would dictate when rebuilding would be necessary. 650HP via boost or natural aspiration would produce similar forces on the parts. It's not like adding a 350HP hit of nitrous to a 300HP engine, that would be similar to constantly hitting the pistons with a sledgehammer.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Those HP numbers are entirely possible for Chevy 4 cylinder cars. Some years back, a Chevy Cobalt set the world 1/4 mile drag strip record for a 4 cylinder car running low 6 second ETs. I googled it and found an article on the car but I'm not sure if he's still running it. How does 1850 HP sound?

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.c...econd-screamer
Strange - the way I read the article the Cobalt was running what they called a "mountain motor" big block Chevy engine that made 1850 HP NA. Did you maybe link the wrong article?

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Manifold pressure has little to do with requiring engine rebuilds. The amount of power vs. materials used would dictate when rebuilding would be necessary. 650HP via boost or natural aspiration would produce similar forces on the parts. It's not like adding a 350HP hit of nitrous to a 300HP engine, that would be similar to constantly hitting the pistons with a sledgehammer.
But surely...650hp out of 2.0L is creating a bit more stress and wear on parts than 650hp out of 6.2L.....I agree it's an issue of materials/parts used vs just pressure alone.

....but there is a relationship...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But surely...650hp out of 2.0L is creating a bit more stress and wear on parts than 650hp out of 6.2L.....I agree it's an issue of materials/parts used vs just pressure alone.

....but there is a relationship...
Yes, I fully agree! A 6.2L piston will have a significantly larger area to distribute the force than a 2.0L piston. But this is cylinder pressure, not manifold pressure. Manifold pressure is essentially irrelevant since cylinder pressures are 20x higher! That was my point. It just irrationally irks me when people make uneducated comments about 'dur all thems boosts is gon' wear ur enginez out'. You know what I mean? And I'm not referring to you.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Yes, I fully agree! A 6.2L piston will have a significantly larger area to distribute the force than a 2.0L piston. But this is cylinder pressure, not manifold pressure. Manifold pressure is essentially irrelevant since cylinder pressures are 20x higher! That was my point. It just irrationally irks me when people make uneducated comments about 'dur all thems boosts is gon' wear ur enginez out'. You know what I mean? And I'm not referring to you.
durrr, whut?

I gotcha now, just wanted to clarify since you seemed to reply to me.

I made my comment based on the sheer power density of the thing.

derrr.....
Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Strange - the way I read the article the Cobalt was running what they called a "mountain motor" big block Chevy engine that made 1850 HP NA. Did you maybe link the wrong article?
I might have quoted the wrong Cobalt, but here's one for certain and probably the one I was looking for:

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Wow, that is BAD!!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #23
Stryfe
Make America Fast Again

Drives: 2016 HBM 1SS - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stchevy View Post
putting V8s to shame...
Hardly.

That motor running 30 pounds of boost as mentioned in a previous post wont last long between rebuilds.

Sure, 650hp is really damn impressive, but hardly puts V8s to shame. A 6.2 on 30 pounds of boost would be well over 1000whp, and would handle the power better.

I came from imports. I've had my share of 400whp 240sx's, and whatnot. I'll tell you first hand I'd take the 6.2L 450hp LT1 over those any day of the week. The power is much more usable, and starting with 450hp stock is a lot easier than starting with a less powerful 4 cylinder engine. Not to mention you can spool bigger turbos with the larger displacement engine.
Stryfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #24
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryfe View Post
Hardly.

That motor running 30 pounds of boost as mentioned in a previous post wont last long between rebuilds.

Sure, 650hp is really damn impressive, but hardly puts V8s to shame. A 6.2 on 30 pounds of boost would be well over 1000whp, and would handle the power better.

I came from imports. I've had my share of 400whp 240sx's, and whatnot. I'll tell you first hand I'd take the 6.2L 450hp LT1 over those any day of the week. The power is much more usable, and starting with 450hp stock is a lot easier than starting with a less powerful 4 cylinder engine. Not to mention you can spool bigger turbos with the larger displacement engine.
And if the 6.2 made the same hp/L it would be around 2000hp... Just saying...
30psi of boost isn't as big a deal as it was 15+years ago, these engines will demand 20+psi stock; no argument that a 650hp 2.0 will have a vastly different power curve than a 650hp 6.2.

Also, although the 2.0 can be built to support 'like V8' power you can't cut 200lbs out of the 6.2... To each his/her own

Just want to be clear: no hate for any of the engine options here... They all have their own strengths and weaknesses...
And there's nothing like the sound of an open exhaust Chevy small block
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #25
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
And if the 6.2 made the same hp/L it would be around 2000hp... Just saying...
30psi of boost isn't as big a deal as it was 15+years ago, these engines will demand 20+psi stock; no argument that a 650hp 2.0 will have a vastly different power curve than a 650hp 6.2.

Also, although the 2.0 can be built to support 'like V8' power you can't cut 200lbs out of the 6.2... To each his/her own

Just want to be clear: no hate for any of the engine options here... They all have their own strengths and weaknesses...
And there's nothing like the sound of an open exhaust Chevy small block
Some people get their cages rattled by threads like this. That's their own insecurity. Most though can appreciate the reality here. Hope it's your reality CC soon!!
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #26
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Some people get their cages rattled by threads like this. That's their own insecurity. Most though can appreciate the reality here. Hope it's your reality CC soon!!
Thanks for the encouragement! The weight vs. Hp thing was a 'heavily' considered internal debate when ordering the car (ya, I was thinking about my build way back then)... And even though I died a little on the inside not getting the V8, I just couldn't 'check the box' that added all that weight to the nose of MY car.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #27
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! The weight vs. Hp thing was a 'heavily' considered internal debate when ordering the car (ya, I was thinking about my build way back then)... And even though I died a little on the inside not getting the V8, I just couldn't 'check the box' that added all that weight to the nose of MY car.
These turbos are fantastic cars. I've had V8 GTO's and Camaro's all my life. Been there done that. After the test drive there was no doubt I wanted the turbo. Absolutely love this car. It is SO light on its feet.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #28
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
These turbos are fantastic cars. I've had V8 GTO's and Camaro's all my life. Been there done that. After the test drive there was no doubt I wanted the turbo. Absolutely love this car. It is SO light on its feet.
If you haven't seen it yet check out my intro thread... It has some great pics of my old man's '76! http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466119