Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Desert Stealth

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
Wake Up Call

Wake Up Call!

Turn the key and the car starts. If it doesn’t start, bring the car in to the Chevy dealer for repairs. That about summed up my knowledge of automobiles. I do love driving convertible sports cars (and flying fast aircraft). It’s just that I had no talent or interest in what was happening under the hood. A year ago, I bought my 2013 Camaro 2SS RS convertible. Owning this car changed my attitude completely. I became obsessed with getting maximum performance out of the beautiful V8 purring in front of me.

Top tier premium gasoline, Dexos approved synthetic oil, and nitrogen filled tires were all new concepts to me. I read a lot of Camaro5 threads in hopes I could satisfy my lust for power and performance. It wasn’t long before I began making modifications. She needed to breathe, so I installed a CAI air induction system complete with APEX air scoop and windshield washer kit. Next on the list was a spiral ported throttle body along with a tune. Now I had both air and fuel flowing properly in to the engine. Whew! My head hurt as I tried to absorb all this information. The experience so far was thrilling. I was morphing in to a gear head!

Last summer, the Sin City Camaro Club had us all drive over to a local Las Vegas performance shop for a Dyno run on our cars. I paid my money and took a moment to chat with one of the technicians. We talked about the mods I’d made so far. He looked at me and said, “Long tube headers really wake these cars up!” That did it! I could wait no longer. I was still in love with the air intake growl coming from the engine bay but, I hadn’t achieved my goal. It’s all about both “air in” and “air out.” I had the air in part done. I knew I needed an exhaust solution.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally had a set of Stainless Works headers with hi-flow cats and Solo Mach XC cat backs installed. Several service technicians gave me a knowing smile as they handed me the keys. They stood by and anxiously awaited my reaction as I turned the key. They understood and could appreciate the power that would now come under my control. Uh oh! Turn the key and the car does not just start, it roars to life.

I was still not yet prepared that I’d actually turned fantasy to reality. Stepping on the pedal and pulling away from the dealership, the roar coming from my tailpipes alerted everyone that a beast was now roaming the streets of Las Vegas. I pulled on to my favorite drag strip, the 95 northbound on ramp at Durango. It’s little used and more than a mile long. Clear of traffic, I stepped on it. She came to life in a whole new way. Not just a roar but a seemingly limitless and effortless surge of power. Air and fuel were mixing perfectly through the engine and now flowing uninterrupted out the back.

The law of unintended consequences came in to effect. Normally, I am a very conservative driver. But, she’s a bad girl now, a temptress who teases me. At cruise, she’s quiet but I can hear her Siren song. “Be manly,” she whispers. “You know you want to do it.” I can’t help myself. One minute I’m just another car on the road and the next I’m wide open throttle. Lord have mercy, I cannot resist her. I love hearing her roar and I delight in the panicked look of drivers as we pass them.

No longer can I get away with man handling the throttle. If I do, she’ll bitch slap me and shoot off like a ballistic missile. She wants to be caressed. She wants a soft touch and a smooth application of fuel. I can’t say if she has more power. But, I can tell you that the new exhaust really did give my car a wake up call. Stepping on the pedal will result in a surge of speed that will pin you back to your seat begging for mercy. It’s “after burner” time. Kick the tires and light the fires, we are gone.

Marcus

Last edited by Desert Stealth; 12-13-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: forgot my name
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
eagle1

Drives: 69rs/ss 2014 ss/rs 1le
You have my vote for test driver and editing for one of the major magazine! Semper Fi

69 rs/ss white
2014 ss/rs 1le hot red
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Next, get yourself a set of DMH electric cutouts-
I had mine installed, best sound ever, AND it added 7 RWP when open. I have posted my dyno sheet on here as proof.

Last edited by Spartan01; 12-13-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Spartan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Go for a cam or a blower next
Be careful though, it's like good drugs.......the more you do, the more you want.

Excellent write up, thx for the reminder of how much fun these cars are. It becomes normal when you drive them all the time
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
Best morning read with a cup of coffee I have had in a long time. Great way to start a Friday.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
I Think I need a cold shower....

Well written indeed

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Draven1327
Socal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS (KYORI)

damn that story is almost as good as....... well it was awesome lol

congrats!! enjoy!!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I resemble that remark! Nice writing & good summary of how these cars can and do change us. (and yes, even the V6's - don't start guys). Thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Good god man, I feel like smoking a cigarette and I don't smoke!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Wow, very nice writing there. A very fun read that makes me wish I could go out right now and drive one of mine. But sadly they are stored for winter now. Thanks for the reminder of what makes these cars so much fun to have when I'm currently just making payments on one that I can't drive right now.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OP, you should be writing for a magazine, not for Camaro5, although we'll take it. Enjoy your car and carry on.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
that was amazing to read
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Nicely done. That was a read I needed this afternoon as it's raining and 32 degrees with snow about 150 miles away. Can't wait till spring to hear ours bring that same feeling back.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
Thats a great read!!!!! I wanna take a cruise but the snow says no!!!

Great writing dude.....it was like a story that we all feel, just cant verbalize.

TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote