Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
What's next?

So. My build so far has been pretty fun. Just some basic stuff:

-JacFab Boost-o-Lator
-ZZP Catted Downpipe
-K&N Drop-in AIr Filter
-NGK 6510 spark plugs gapped at 0.022"
-RaceChip XLR Throttle Controller
-RaceChip GTS piggyback "tune"
-Front and rear dash cam

Now I'm left to wonder...what's next? Honestly, I'm thinking about a "real" tune come spring next year, but what kinds of things might I want to go for before doing that?

My first idea is the cold air pipe from the air box to the intake. From there, maybe an upgraded intercooler, but I'm really torn on that. If I'm not regularly tracking it, is that really all that beneficial?

Cosmetically, I have a lot of ideas. Right now I'm rolling with the basic LT1 package with almost no add-ons. I did put color-matched splash guards on. I'm thinking about going to 19" bronze wheels with summer performance tires as a major cosmetic upgrade. Also, I'd make the rears wider for some more grip and performance gains. Pretty sure I want to throw on a simple spoiler (not exactly sure which one yet). That might be it: keeping it simple.

Anything simple and basic that I'm missing that would make for some solid gains?
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Larger 67mm GM Throttle Body
Mishimoto or ZZP Intake Tube
PTP Turbo Blanket
Mishimoto or ZZP Intercooler
Hot and Cold Side Charge Pipes to go with new intercooler

Tune From:
Vermont
Trifecta
BNR
(Not ZZP or RPM Motorsports)
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Don't bother buying anymore performance mods until you know your getting a custom tune and have decided to track it more whatever your track style is 1/4 mile, Oval, Road Course or AutoX. Do yourself a favor and get your wheel and tire decision made first this is the #1 upgrade in car handling you can do easily especially coming off the stiff not so grippy runflats.

To elaborate on StM's post... I'll leave the bolt-on discussion alone but i'll bite on the tune conversation. If you have readily available pump E85 go with Vermont Tuning otherwise do yourself a favor and try and find a dyno shop locally you like and maybe trust enough to tune your car. The companies e-mailing tune files back and forth are hacks and jokes some admittedly tune over-cautious and give crap results others overtune and blow-up engines. Some are just plain not that great I think of all the one's StM listed Vermont is the only solidly upstanding one.

Also a note when you go to get a dyno or any tune wether you go e-mail or not you will need to uninstall the RaceChip hardware entirely.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 08-20-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
zts1986
Account Suspended

Thanks guys. Calling it a rabbit hole is accurate. There's so much that can be done and I'm loving it.

Intake tube, maybe the turbo blanket (need to research this) and wheels/tires are the hot items. Wheels/tires will wait until next spring. Perhaps I just need to kick back and enjoy my ride.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
Thanks guys. Calling it a rabbit hole is accurate. There's so much that can be done and I'm loving it.

Intake tube, maybe the turbo blanket (need to research this) and wheels/tires are the hot items. Wheels/tires will wait until next spring. Perhaps I just need to kick back and enjoy my ride.
Turbo Blanket works pretty well. Vastly better then the ugly heat shield anyway. I'd say your idea of relaxing and enjoying your car while you plan around wheels and tires is a good choice overall.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Also a note when you go to get a dyno or any tune wether you go e-mail or not you will need to uninstall the RaceChip hardware entirely.
Well, certainly. I would assume this is includes the throttle controller, as a proper tune would take place of that, yes?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I feel Im the one in every crowd. lol...

I am doing a learning series with hp academy. So I am becoming bothersome enough to annoy pretty much either camp chip or coding. Probably will get the HPT series once the coast is clearing with the houe rebuild.

RC- for what its worth does make a difference. It just works. For increasing boost at the right time, it seems to pull it off pretty well if not crudely, owing to the KR. As I learn more, I am noticing things I would just as soon work out my self. Because of the many logs I have been doing, after a bunch of droopy eyed nights in front of the screen, some it it is actually starting to make sense. Andre's (HPA) lectures convince me that tuning is attainable, if your so inclined and dedicated, even just to get the big picture and get more informed quicker.

This falls under driver experience upgrade???

Apex 19's and nitto 555 G2s are on the truck. I would LOVE to know if the
SG-3 suspension works with 19's.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
zts1986
Account Suspended

Wook, I’m not saying that the RaceChip doesn’t work. It does, and quite well, actually. It’s the perfect solution for a guy like me who knew very little coming in and is using this car to teach himself. Eventually, though, I’m going to want to get far more technical with it. I am an engineer by trade and have seriously debated the training series you are working through. I’m just not sure whether it’s worth my time or not, yet.

Not sure what I want for wheels yet, but I’m heavily leaning towards 19” with wider in the back than in the front, but wider than stock all around. I’m also going with bronze/gold to contrast my red hot paint. Not everything can be purely performance, right?!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
wookwook

yup just preaching to the choir here. I figured as much because brilliant minds think alike heh, heh. I just wish there was more involvement here, how many of this model out there? Seems really quiet for the only forum on this model car. C'mon lookers on, just chime in. I will try not to bite. too hard.. lol. It would definitely be more enlightening to have more ltg evolvers engaged. It seems like things flamed out after the first year here **. I look forward to your escapades ZTS, as I will continue to share mine.

** (premature ejec...tion of mods?)

Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
zts1986
Account Suspended

I went out into the middle of nowhere and put on about 110 blistering miles on twisties galore. The car has more power than I can currently put to the ground. Wheels and tires is absolutely it...

Oh, and I saw transmission oil temps of 195*F.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
wookwook

I have (4) - 9.5 inch grippy looking nittos are in the garage awaiting mount to Arc-8s. I "hope" its the look I will like. All the great posts on the tire fitment here was hugely helpful, thanks for that.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
real tune or exhaust and intercooler
Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I have (4) - 9.5 inch grippy looking nittos are in the garage awaiting mount to Arc-8s. I "hope" its the look I will like. All the great posts on the tire fitment here was hugely helpful, thanks for that.
Make sure to get us some pictures. What are the exact specs of the wheels? Any offset?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
wookwook

Wheels aren't in yet...

I opted to go with Arc-8 compatible version, because I am "trying" to prevent tramlining with 9.5 inch setup as opposed to the 10's you will find for apex's direct fitment.

275/40zr 19 on 9.5 rims x 19' @ 22 ET square 4. I have the oem LS 18s' so it should be 1/8 inch inbound and 7/8 outbound. exact same heigt/dia. They will prbably just square with the front fender. But- these are more square of a profile so it will appear aggressive. OK pop quiz.... as ANYBODY ever paid $114 each for gm TPMS????? I stopped at the dealer figured to save a few mouse clicks... learned my lesson..... I will circle back to apex, for adapter rings and tpms. their website was having problems. I bought from bimmer world for free shipping... Yes same bolt up as bmw.

the nittos came in at $150 each with a flash sale at discounttiredirect.com

heres what I used to research.. https://www.wheel-size.com

will post when they are on.