Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
Any advice on removal?

The previous owner put this ridiculous cover over the antenna. Not only does it severely hamper reception, it looks like crap.

I want to remove it, but it seems to really pull on the antenna when I try to remove it. I know from experience that GM satellite antennas are very prone to leak, thanks to my trucks.

I'm curious if anyone else has removed one, and how you did so. I'm thinking maybe cutting the top open with a Dremel so I can remove it by pulling downwards as opposed to pulling up on it? I don't have a heat gun, and I assume that wouldn't work anyway with CF.
Attached Images

Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It might not be carbon fiber, it could be what they call hydrodipped, which is just a coding/fabric that looks like carbon fiber. Using a Dremel very carefully just split it open I think would be a good idea, 98% chance it’s put on with two sided tape. Once you break it open and can get some GooGone down there, flood it for an hour or two and then start to pull it apart gently. That’s what I do. Watch the dremel, don’t go deep, just enough to get a screwdriver in to crack it .....Then again you might want to rent a heat gun , that might work pulling it away…might help

Last edited by Glen e; 09-30-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I love Glen's approach. I would change two things:
1) try to figure out what it is before you start. Maybe you can somehow reach the previous owner.
2) I would be careful with the Goo Gone leaking around the base. Not sure how that might affect the seal. So I would probably use a rag soaked in Goo Gone rather than "flooding" the area.

You might be able to get a start on opening it by using a single edge razor along the back edge just shaving off bits at the top rear corner until you get through whatever it is. If it is something applied over the stock antenna, there will most likely be a small air pocket at that top rear corner. Maybe only a millimeter or so, but I bet it is not a perfect fit there.

May be this or similar:
https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-...ack-Vinyl.html

if that's what it is, use heat to remove:
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
I've had luck using a hair dryer for heat removing vinyl and plastic parts. The heat is used to get the adhesive tape to release, so as long as the cover transfers the heat you should be able to see if the cover loosens up.
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
RoninSS

Drives: 2019 SS1LE Garnet Red../Silver CL30
I have used the wife's hair dryer with good results also.
RoninSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Was the roof repainted or wrapped? No clarity there. I agree with Glen maybe hydro dipped or maybe wrapped. If roof was wrapped it almost a sure thing the shark fin was wrapped too.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Was the roof repainted or wrapped? No clarity there. I agree with Glen maybe hydro dipped or maybe wrapped. If roof was wrapped it almost a sure thing the shark fin was wrapped too.
No, that's the factory racing stripe that is on the roof and rear spoiler. The car is black, and the sticker is also practically black. You can't even notice the stripe is even on there with just a quick glance. I didn't even notice it until after I had bought the car. It was a $470 option from GM according to the sticker, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm going to try to heat it up and see where that gets me. if that doesn't work, I'll go the Dremel route.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
I’m not sure about a Camaro I had one on my Gran prix I was cleaning snow off the roof it came right off it just screws on and off
Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Here’s a link from others that have removed the antenna.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506455

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I would take the antenna off the car first. Once in your hands,I'll bet your options will be far clearer.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote