Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Parking brake failure

Today I started and drove my Zl1 1LE for the first time in about 5 months. Car fired right up, smooth idle and weird throttle response (as usual haha.

Anyway, I got a CEL (a wrench with a parking brake symbol).

The parking brake releases with no problems. Issue is when I set the parking brake.

I drove the car to my local detailer, about a 20 minute ride. Car drove fine, brakes were fine. The CEL light was on the entire time. When I got to the detailer, I parked in his driveway entrance which has a very slight incline.

I left the car running and set the parking brake as I got out to speak to him and the car started to roll down his driveway !!!!!

Almost shit my pants since it almost rolled into a light pole.

Needless to say, when I get the car back from the detailer it’s going straight to the dealership.

I’m curious if anyone has had a similar issue and what the fix was. Also, I’m wondering if having the car parked for 5 months with the parking brake set might have had something to do with this.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I would cycle the parking brake a few times and see what happens. Clear the code and determine if it is still an issue on level ground!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Today I started and drove my Zl1 1LE for the first time in about 5 months. Car fired right up, smooth idle and weird throttle response (as usual haha.

The parking brake releases with no problems. Issue is when I set the parking brake.

I drove the car to my local detailer, about a 20 minute ride. Car drove fine, brakes were fine. The CEL light was on the entire time. When I got to the detailer, I parked in his driveway entrance which has a very slight incline.

I left the car running and set the parking brake as I got out to speak to him and the car started to roll down his driveway !!!!!

Needless to say, when I get the car back from the detailer it’s going straight to the dealership.

I’m curious if anyone has had a similar issue and what the fix was. Also, I’m wondering if having the car parked for 5 months with the parking brake set might have had something to do with this.
Dang that sucks, I'm glad you caught the car in time and didn't discover the problem on a steep hill! It would also seem that GM needs to call more attention to their parking-break-failure-light. It should really be a voice that announces "Parking Break Failure -- contact service ASAP". Anything less is a mistake IMO.

On a positive note, now we all know to keep an eye out for a silly wrench w/ parking symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I would cycle the parking brake a few times and see what happens. Clear the code and determine if it is still an issue on level ground!
Good call, though since the e-brake is mechanical, its likely that its down for good.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Okay...Finally got my chuckle for the day Only thing better would be a video. Btw- when I park in storage, or just overnight or so in my garage, I always leave it in neutral, if for an extended period of time, it's left in neutral and I put a wheel chock behind one wheel.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
Alain

Cycling the parking brake a few times is a great suggestion. I remember getting the same CEL last year when I first bought the car. The CEL went away by itself.

I had the dealership look into it. They cleared the code and said there was no issue. I’m not looking forward to having the car at the dealership for this issue or letting those clowns rip it apart.

That’s why I’m here, hoping that it’s just a shitty design on GM’s part and not an issue with my car.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:

That’s why I’m here, hoping that it’s just a shitty design on GM’s part and not an issue with my car.
So you’re wishing a defect to be found on all Camaros and not just you having a sticky rusty parking brake mechanism?

That’s very kind of you!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
So you’re wishing a defect to be found on all Camaros and not just you having a sticky rusty parking brake mechanism?

That’s very kind of you!
That’s ridiculous dude.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot