#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
Starting Mods

So I want to start modding my a10.

I know there are a few avenues I can go down when it comes to bolt ons: and I'm trying to stay as tame as possible being its my daily. Car will never see meth, maybe porting if I end up keeping it for a while but for now just light mods.

Car has ported mamo tb, and rotofab already. I'm thinking of doing upper pulley, tune, and maybe headers.

Has anyone here had this combo before and can speak on the gains/drivability first hand? (Also a little concerned about sound level, I'm 24 so I don't personally care but don't want to be THAT guy in my new neighborhood lol) I know with longtubes ill have to get rid of primary/secondary but I would keep stock exhaust to retain npp; would this setup be extremely loud still?

I would like to see 600 or over to the tire but I'm also not overly obsessed with numbers. Is this realistic with the above mentioned?

Thanks for you input,
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Your location says Texas, so personally I would not pulley the car without expansion coolant tank and heat exchanger upgrade. I’d do the headers, flex fuel kit and tune if you have e85 available. You’ll gain more power with flex fuel than with the pulley and it won’t spin the blower any faster (less heat).
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
KamZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Your location says Texas, so personally I would not pulley the car without expansion coolant tank and heat exchanger upgrade. I’d do the headers, flex fuel kit and tune if you have e85 available. You’ll gain more power with flex fuel than with the pulley and it won’t spin the blower any faster (less heat).

Forgot to mention I don't track it, the most abuse it will see will be back to back highway pulls, might go to the strip a few times. I worry about e because I've heard so many horror stories and I do take the car on long trips time to time. Also would hate to have to test fuel every time I fill up (which will be all the time on E LOL)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamZL1 View Post
Forgot to mention I don't track it, the most abuse it will see will be back to back highway pulls, might go to the strip a few times. I worry about e because I've heard so many horror stories and I do take the car on long trips time to time. Also would hate to have to test fuel every time I fill up (which will be all the time on E LOL)
What kind of horror stories? I haven’t had any issues whatsoever and can’t imagine any problems. I use a Bluetooth analyzer that shows my e content on my phone. Your tune compensates for the % of the blend so there’s nothing to do but fill it and drive. If you have a max content that’s less than the pump percentage it’s very easy to put in the right amount. After the first couple of fills you know how much to put in. I get that people are apprehensive about systems they aren’t familiar with but it really is easy. Good luck whichever way you go.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
Old 11-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Metal_AF

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
What kind of horror stories? I haven’t had any issues whatsoever and can’t imagine any problems. I use a Bluetooth analyzer that shows my e content on my phone. Your tune compensates for the % of the blend so there’s nothing to do but fill it and drive. If you have a max content that’s less than the pump percentage it’s very easy to put in the right amount. After the first couple of fills you know how much to put in. I get that people are apprehensive about systems they aren’t familiar with but it really is easy. Good luck whichever way you go.
+1 on this. The current flex fuel systems monitor the alcohol % and adjust the tune. You can mix ethanol and regular octane in the tank, no worries. I ran flex in my Evo and my zle will get the same as soon as I through the warranty.
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
KamZL1

Quote:
Could I still run 93 if I find myself in a position where e wasn't available and not hurt the car? and I did not know about the blue tooth analyzer, that is awesome lol
Old 11-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
JasonSB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Headers, lower pulley and flex sensor. You will have to blend E85 with 93.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
So I want to start modding my a10.

I know there are a few avenues I can go down when it comes to bolt ons: and I'm trying to stay as tame as possible being its my daily. Car will never see meth, maybe porting if I end up keeping it for a while but for now just light mods.

Car has ported mamo tb, and rotofab already. I'm thinking of doing upper pulley, tune, and maybe headers.

Has anyone here had this combo before and can speak on the gains/drivability first hand? (Also a little concerned about sound level, I'm 24 so I don't personally care but don't want to be THAT guy in my new neighborhood lol) I know with longtubes ill have to get rid of primary/secondary but I would keep stock exhaust to retain npp; would this setup be extremely loud still?

I would like to see 600 or over to the tire but I'm also not overly obsessed with numbers. Is this realistic with the above mentioned?

Thanks for you input,
1 7/8 long tubes with cats and stock exhaust shouldn't be to crazy in sound

If you do go the upper pulley route remove the blower yourself and send to kong for porting it just makes sense... you will have useless R & R blower labor for a job that's easy to do.

https://youtu.be/yM_z9A7INKQ

If your not going to port the blower ever and have dreams of bigger power that doesn't include the oem blower do the lower pulley rather than waste money towards the stock blower. I see time and time again people spend 1250 for porting and 230 for a griptec pulley then go to sell there blower and get $1800 - $2200 if there lucky a stock unmodified blower usually fetches 1500 to 2k. The lower pulley is compatible any way your build goes!

I've done 4 builds after learning the hard way on the 1st build (wasted money) you wise up and plan better on your builds not that anyway is wrong but if you do it correctly you will not be paying double for labor like as you mentioned blower porting and an upper pulley do both at same time and save the 4 hours shop labor they get for R & R for installing the griptec or removing it later on for porting. things like this.. but really you remove it yourself!

I was able to all this for 2k

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517100

granted prices have gone up.. but here is my list: GOING THE LOWER PULLEY ROUTE

ATI 918856(w) Damper $325.00 (got lucky found listing on EBAY lost freight company selling new dampers)
ATI 916227 or Lingenfelter L220170709 115.00 (black Friday Summit)
GATES Greenback k080845HD 28.00 (amazon)
Rotofab $350.00 (black Friday)
Texas Speed Headers $599.00 no cats (black Friday TSP)
LS1 ATI 951499 damper bolt summit 9.75
NGK 6510 1 step cooler plugs 7.00 ebay
Tune $500.00 discounted since I've used him on 3 builds in past.

If you do do the ported blower ditch the mamo POS that's for pussies worrying abt warranties it does nothing for performance you will want a 103 mm or ported 95mm from the Zr1 vette and adapter.

I'd look into the front bumper tank not the side finder to add extra capacity.

If you go with some E after you install the DSX flex sensor get the Banks I dash super gauge and Z pillar for 6 gens to keep an eye on E content once the sensor is installed the gauge can read the E content right from the OBD2 port. Its an easy install to do. I think the pillar is a lot easier then messing with an AC vent and it look more professional than mounting next to instrument cluster like some of the other setups.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594677

Not sure where you are in Texas but if near Houston use Sorian MSTuning or jrods speed shop. stay away from HP motorsports, MTI, and Houston house of power. Powerfab and Peitz performance would be my go to if Sorian is to far backed up.

If your near Dallas.. 21st been around a long time. LG motors botched my 4th gen build but they are still here, ADM is good but an Ass, I've heard good things about neflix's star Tiana Weber at Accelerated Racing Solutions. San Antonio sorry no clue!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 11-10-2021 at 10:36 AM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
CW3SF

Quote:
Could I still run 93 if I find myself in a position where e wasn't available and not hurt the car? and I did not know about the blue tooth analyzer, that is awesome lol
Yes. The tune “flexes” from straight 93 to e85 (100ish octane). Your content is limited by your fuel system. You don’t have to do or change anything.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Many of us run Ethanol or a blend of without issues. With a flex tune and sensor you can run pump 93, E85 or any blend of ethanol between. The ECU will adjust the tune for the fuel on the fly. It's super easy to mix...50/50 pump gas/e85 usually lands around E50 which is plenty of octane for a big bump in power and will allow the ability to run higher intake temps without pulling timing. You can monitor it by picking up a 17.00 obd2 bluetooth dongle and downloading the Torque Pro app on your phone.

E50, Headers, Big Gulp, 95mm tb, and a tire(305/30/20 555r2) should allow for mid 10 second time slips in decent air if the tuning is on point. Full drag pack should get you in the low 10's. You don't need more boost, you just need to make what you have more efficient and consistent.

No need to consider getting into the motor or upping the boost unless you want to run well into the 9's.

Quote:
Yes. The tune “flexes” from straight 93 to e85 (100ish octane). Your content is limited by your fuel system. You don’t have to do or change anything.
Full E85 is 109 octane.
Attached Images

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
You will need to be tuned to run E85 along with a flex fuel setup. In the tune they will also have to shut off one of the CELs that relates to the pump. And you will really need to watch your mixtures so you don't screw something up. If you can run a max of, let's say, E60, then I suggest keeping your mixture close to E40.

I am set up to run max of E44 but I will be doing 30+ injectors and a larger high side pump so I can run full E85 and not have to worry about mixtures and such.

If you are going ported and pullied on the stock blower then you will need a chiller or meth to keep the temps down. Otherwise you will heat soak and lose power all the time. So keep that in mind.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #12
KamZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Many of us run Ethanol or a blend of without issues. With a flex tune and sensor you can run pump 93, E85 or any blend of ethanol between. The ECU will adjust the tune for the fuel on the fly. It's super easy to mix...50/50 pump gas/e85 usually lands around E50 which is plenty of octane for a big bump in power and will allow the ability to run higher intake temps without pulling timing. You can monitor it by picking up a 17.00 obd2 bluetooth dongle and downloading the Torque Pro app on your phone.

E50, Headers, Big Gulp, 95mm tb, and a tire(305/30/20 555r2) should allow for mid 10 second time slips in decent air if the tuning is on point. Full drag pack should get you in the low 10's. You don't need more boost, you just need to make what you have more efficient and consistent.

No need to consider getting into the motor or upping the boost unless you want to run well into the 9's.

Full E85 is 109 octane.
So I wouldn't have to do additional fueling mods to run that blend? what is the cutoff as far as mixtures until I need more fuel? Because i don't want to have to do that. At that point im doing a 2650r calling it a day
Old 11-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
KamZL1

Thanks everyone for your input, learning a lot from your guys' wealth of knowledge and really appreciate it!
Old 11-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
So I wouldn't have to do additional fueling mods to run that blend? what is the cutoff as far as mixtures until I need more fuel? Because i don't want to have to do that. At that point im doing a 2650r calling it a day
No...My brother currently has Flex sensor, CAI, and ported tb on his ZL1. Above 70 degrees out it can run E60 easily. once it gets down around 50 degrees then it needs to be around E50. We put it back to E40 and it has plenty of fuel in the cold, but I am sure it would run E50 no prob. You can log your Injector IPW and fuel pressures to make sure. Supercharged cars make more boost when it gets cooler out so that requires more fuel. Nobody talks much about it but it's a thing. It can be like dropping 2 pulley sizes going from Summer time to late Fall just from air density change.

Either way here is a screen shot of my Torque Pro setup:
Attached Images

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote