Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Guys, need some help. I tried installing my catch can today since I finally got some good weather up here, but I can't seem to remove the nut that locks the engine cover. I used a screwdriver but I think it's stuck in place. I stopped just because I didn't want to strip the nut. Any advice? WD-40? lol

Tell me, ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #30
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
that bolt can be a pain the first time you go to remove it a lot of them were over-torqued by the factory. I partially stripped mine when I removed it and just got a better bolt at a local hardware store. GM is notorious for using soft bolts and screws that strip easily.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #31
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
that bolt can be a pain the first time you go to remove it a lot of them were over-torqued by the factory. I partially stripped mine when I removed it and just got a better bolt at a local hardware store. GM is notorious for using soft bolts and screws that strip easily.
Oh OK. I thought I was the only one having this problem :/ I'm probably gonna end up buying WD-40 or something similar and also replace that stupid bolt thanks!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #32
smithb

Drives: 2016 LT
I attempted to install mine today and 2 big problems. I can't get the CCV line connectors to release. So my car has the hoses installed on one end only for the CCV catch can.

Then for the PCV side the plastic splitter's thread split sheared off inside the engine. Now I can't remove the plastic threads to reinstall the plug.

I sent a heated email to Mishimoto. I don't know how they'll fix it. I barely torqued the fitting, used a smaller wrench than they showed in the instructions, and there were zero warnings about the part being delicate. I certainly didn't torque it nearly as much as the fittings on the actual catch cans that also have plastic fittings.

They needed at minimum a warning about a delicate part and better a torque spec. Again, I felt no resistance as the threads sheared off, I was still waiting to feel some resistance and never did so I checked it and it was in two pieces.

If anyone has tips on how to remove the CCV connectors, I could use help. I can't even get one side to release.
smithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #33
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
It's a # 30 torx bit.. Use a 1/4" ratchet .
I'll try that. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #34
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
I attempted to install mine today and 2 big problems. I can't get the CCV line connectors to release. So my car has the hoses installed on one end only for the CCV catch can.

Then for the PCV side the plastic splitter's thread split sheared off inside the engine. Now I can't remove the plastic threads to reinstall the plug.

I sent a heated email to Mishimoto. I don't know how they'll fix it. I barely torqued the fitting, used a smaller wrench than they showed in the instructions, and there were zero warnings about the part being delicate. I certainly didn't torque it nearly as much as the fittings on the actual catch cans that also have plastic fittings.

They needed at minimum a warning about a delicate part and better a torque spec. Again, I felt no resistance as the threads sheared off, I was still waiting to feel some resistance and never did so I checked it and it was in two pieces.

If anyone has tips on how to remove the CCV connectors, I could use help. I can't even get one side to release.
These are the same problems I had. The 2017 model uses different connectors to the engine than the 2016 models and requires the tools mishimoto supplied to remove. It took me 15 frustrating mintues to get them both off but I would suggest keep trying and they will come off.

As for the PCV connector..... I did the same F'in thing! Torqued the threads right off the thing. I also have been in contact with them about supplying a new piece but have no heard back yet. I was unhappy when this happened to say the least.

But.... I did end up putting a high heat silicon on the part and made sure there were no leaks. If you look at the cutaway picture of the part and how it works the threads breaking would not have an impact on the function as far as I can tell.

I have also put about 500kms on the car since install and there is no leaking and the catch can is doing its job!

I will be installing the new pieces once I have it shipped but in the mean time I am not worried.

Getting the thread out of the engine will be difficult by I will tackle that when the time comes.

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #35
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adp2017 View Post
These are the same problems I had. The 2017 model uses different connectors to the engine than the 2016 models and requires the tools mishimoto supplied to remove. It took me 15 frustrating mintues to get them both off but I would suggest keep trying and they will come off.

As for the PCV connector..... I did the same F'in thing! Torqued the threads right off the thing. I also have been in contact with them about supplying a new piece but have no heard back yet. I was unhappy when this happened to say the least.

But.... I did end up putting a high heat silicon on the part and made sure there were no leaks. If you look at the cutaway picture of the part and how it works the threads breaking would not have an impact on the function as far as I can tell.

I have also put about 500kms on the car since install and there is no leaking and the catch can is doing its job!

I will be installing the new pieces once I have it shipped but in the mean time I am not worried.

Getting the thread out of the engine will be difficult by I will tackle that when the time comes.
I would recommend one of you two start your own thread regarding this issue. That way Mishi will have an idea that a problem has come up. I'm sure they will read down this thread, but having your own thread solely dedicated to the issue would also provide a single point of contact for anyone else who has the same issue. Definitely a small, but very frustrating issue.

Could this have been resolved if that broken part had been maybe made out of brass or something similar?
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #36
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
I would recommend one of you two start your own thread regarding this issue. That way Mishi will have an idea that a problem has come up. I'm sure they will read down this thread, but having your own thread solely dedicated to the issue would also provide a single point of contact for anyone else who has the same issue. Definitely a small, but very frustrating issue.

Could this have been resolved if that broken part had been maybe made out of brass or something similar?
Good idea Chicago! I did hear back from them this morning and they are sending a replacement part.

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #37
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone know what these extra parts are for? Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #38
smithb

Drives: 2016 LT
Quote:
I have the old style connectors on my PCV to Fresh Air line and it does not require any special tools to remove.
I wish I had those connectors on all my fittings. The old style is the type I have on my intake, but the new style on the engine.

I have a set of fuel line release tools and I actually showed my wife and said I needed a tool like that to clip over the line and slide up into the connector to remove it.

I was going to stop by Autozone or similar today to see if they sell a tool (so I could at least have it), or the Chevy dealer to see if they can just pop them off for me.

I like your idea to just replace the valves themselves since it's just the one bold holding them on. I take it the two parts you photo'd are the correct part numbers to replace the one on there already? When I look at rockauto they show completely different part numbers (ACDELCO 12665167 and 12665166), but similar looking valves. Do you know if one set of parts for the old style of connectors and one for the new style?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by smithb; 03-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
smithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #39
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Not sure on the 2 small parts. But the hose connector is for splicing the hose to the adapter when the angled portion points to the back of the engine. IE - you have to cut the elbow off and re-position it..
Got it. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #40
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanchez18 View Post
Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone know what these extra parts are for? Thanks!
Those little caps are to cover the open holes in the bracket if you only bought the PCV side catch can kit! They pop right into place for a cleaner look.

-Diamaan
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #41
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Those little caps are to cover the open holes in the bracket if you only bought the PCV side catch can kit! They pop right into place for a cleaner look.

-Diamaan
ohhhhhh I see thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #42
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post

-Diamaan
You guys think of everything...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote