Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Hi folks,

Or I can upgrade to a 2017 ZL1 vert M6, used, under 5k miles for the same $10k in trade difference...
Quote:
I guess some of you guys can't read well. Again, the question I asked had NOTHING to do with asking anyone's OPINION on a deal I can fully work on my own. Have you seen my 2SS vert? Nope. Any idea what the MSRP was on it or options it has? Nope. Did you talk to the dealer? Nope. So keep your opinion to yourself. If you have something to contribute regarding my actual questions, I'm all ears...
Wow. For someone that comes here for advice you have a real attitude problem. Maybe tone it down a little and the dialogue can back on point.

Finally, it is not a "reading" matter whatsoever, but one of comprehension. Read your initial post again (and again and again if need be) and you'll see the very question you asked above is being answered.

Thus the problem with asking several questions in the same post. Not that that should be admonished, but some members will answer just one of the questions you asked.

I agree with the answers already posted.
1:You are way low on your price for the mods mentioned.
2: The trade in between the SS and Z vert will be much greater than 10k.
3: If you can swing it without selling blood, it will be a night and day difference that you will not regret, and will enjoy daily (if you enjoy spirited rides that compare with vehicles that cost twice or thrice the amount of a Z).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
conradsteph

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert Arctic Blue
Quote:
Hi folks,

I've had my 2017 2SS vert M6 for almost a year and I love everything about the car but I'm getting the itch to add more power. Given the car only has 3k miles on it I really don't want to lose my warranty throwing a procharger/heads/CAI/tune on it. Plus then I really need to upgrade wheels/tires (wider in rear especially), 1LE brake package, etc... to handle the new power. The total for all of that with labor is well over $10k.

Or I can upgrade to a 2017 ZL1 vert M6, used, under 5k miles for the same $10k in trade difference and have a car with a warranty that has all the things I would need to add to my car to acheive the same power level plus a better fuel system should I want to go over 600rwhp.

So, the main question is, for those of you with a ZL1 vert, does that sound like a no-brainer? Secondary question: I'm a hard-core, old-school muscle car guy and I believe firmly that a sports car should have a manual tranny. I've heard great things about the A10 in the ZL1 though - but I wonder how much of that is the eLSD in the coupe vs the vert that doesn't have the eLSD. I will try to drive both but it seems to me having the shorter 3.73 gears will create quicker times stoplight to stoplight vs the 2.xx whatever is on the A10 vert. The 3.73 will lower the top speed but I'm not planning on going 185 with my hair on fire, I'm too old for that nonsense. My shifts are pretty darn quick on my M6 using the no lift shift feature, I assume that exists on the ZL1 also?

Last question: I hear a ton about the "bog" on the M6. I've never felt it on my car that I know of. Either I'm a great manual driver or I drive like a granny compared to those who complain about it, not sure which. Either way, is the bog a problem on the ZL1?

Thanks in advance, folks!
Of course I'd say get the ZL1 vert. But...if you want to get over 600hp to the wheels, you will probably end up voiding your warranty in the ZL1. Intake and throttle body most likely won't get you to that 600 mark. My M6 vert was at 551/578 hp/tq with upgraded intake and throttle body. Got just over 600/650 with headers, upper pulley, and the warranty voiding tune.
Cam and lower pulley got it to around 686/710 on 91 octane. So if HP is your goal, I'd stick with your SS, up the HP, void the warranty, and have some fun. Either way your gonna spend some money and void the warranty if you want those numbers. The SS will probably cost you less in the long run.
Regarding the ZL1 - A little bog noticed prior to all the upgrades but tune basically eliminated it (and the warranty).
eLSD no big deal not having it - I don't track the car.
conradsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Your post was about should you trade-up to a ZL1 or modify your SS.

Your position is that here is a $10,000 variance with both options. I am involved in auto sales & unfortunately I come across a customer like you on a weekly basis. You are looking at full-blown retail for your convertible and your trade expectations are based on that. Most customers do not pay trade retail as you will not pay retail for the ZL1. I do not know your mileage and options based on my experience you are about 15-20 K away negative with the trade & ZL1 difference.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I upgraded from a SS to a zl1. I dont regret doing it, but if you are worried about the money, the zl1 is not a better value than the SS. IMO the 2SS is the best value sports car on the planet right now. 450hp is ample for most situations on the street, and enough to have fun with. 650 is in another league, but honestly, I'm probably only using 1/2 that daily and all it really gets me is bragging rights and some extra stop light fun. The nice part about this decision for you is that there is no bad option.

I cant comment on the elsd or gearing, I havent driven a vert.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #19
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
I upgraded from a SS to a zl1. I dont regret doing it, but if you are worried about the money, the zl1 is not a better value than the SS. IMO the 2SS is the best value sports car on the planet right now. 450hp is ample for most situations on the street, and enough to have fun with. 650 is in another league, but honestly, I'm probably only using 1/2 that daily and all it really gets me is bragging rights and some extra stop light fun. The nice part about this decision for you is that there is no bad option.

I cant comment on the elsd or gearing, I havent driven a vert.
I daily drive a 2016 Camaro SS & it feels like a shit box. They are totally different cars. The SS is sloppy everywhere where the ZL1 is a athlete