Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-11-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
Summit20171SS

Drives: 2017 1SS M6
Question Factory Manual Transmission

Just wondering how strong the stock Manual transmission and clutch are in the 16-18 Camaro SS's, I currently have no issues with mine, with 45k on the clock. Is there anyway to service them or any tips on how to get the most life out of them?

~ Air Raid Cold Air Intake~ ~ 3" Corsa Extreme Catback Exhaust ~
Summit20171SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
OK, I’ll take a stab at this - and vent on some of my pet peeves!

* Learn proper clutching technique - see perfect clutching from Misha below.

https://youtu.be/qdFsadNm7pU?si=IbIN3Be6H4Vg6mzF

* Don’t leave your foot on the clutch if you are not actively shifting - “riding the clutch”.

* Downshifting is OK, with rev matching, but note your brakes are purpose built to slow/stop your car, not your tranny.

* Don’t downshift into 1st gear - save your synchros, it's very hard to rev match. Use 2nd as your lowest gear while still moving. Just use your brakes.

* Go relatively slow and easy on the 1 to 2 upshift - it’s the hardest on synchros.

* Try not to “slip the clutch” too much on 1st gear takeoff from a stop and never slip on any other gear change. Note: Camaros have such a tall first gear (fuel economy play?) so it’s not easy - I still occasionally stall my ZL1. Chevy gave us the Hill Hold feature: after coming to a stop on an uphill incline, “pump” the brake pedal briefly, and it will hold the car from rolling back for a few seconds when you go to take off again.

* Change tranny and differential fluid at some reasonable interval. I changed at about 1K or 2K miles and plan to again maybe at 75K miles. (Too lazy to look up in GM manual right now. Some cars might say “lifetime fill” - that’s a little suspicious, and if they put drain/fill plugs in, why not use them.)

I hope this is helpful and I’m glad you are helping keep the manual transmission alive!

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:12 PM   #3
Plasar

OK, I looked up in the manual:

* Change rear axle/differential fluid: every 45K miles
* Change manual transmission fluid: every 45K miles
* Change clutch fluid: every 5 years
* Change brake fluid: every 5 years
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #4
Summit20171SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
OK, I’ll take a stab at this - and vent on some of my pet peeves!

* Learn proper clutching technique - see perfect clutching from Misha below.

https://youtu.be/qdFsadNm7pU?si=IbIN3Be6H4Vg6mzF

* Don’t leave your foot on the clutch if you are not actively shifting - “riding the clutch”.

* Downshifting is OK, with rev matching, but note your brakes are purpose built to slow/stop your car, not your tranny.

* Don’t downshift into 1st gear - save your synchros, it's very hard to rev match. Use 2nd as your lowest gear while still moving. Just use your brakes.

* Go relatively slow and easy on the 1 to 2 upshift - it’s the hardest on synchros.

* Try not to “slip the clutch” too much on 1st gear takeoff from a stop and never slip on any other gear change. Note: Camaros have such a tall first gear (fuel economy play?) so it’s not easy - I still occasionally stall my ZL1. Chevy gave us the Hill Hold feature: after coming to a stop on an uphill incline, “pump” the brake pedal briefly, and it will hold the car from rolling back for a few seconds when you go to take off again.

* Change tranny and differential fluid at some reasonable interval. I changed at about 1K or 2K miles and plan to again maybe at 75K miles. (Too lazy to look up in GM manual right now. Some cars might say “lifetime fill” - that’s a little suspicious, and if they put drain/fill plugs in, why not use them.)

I hope this is helpful and I’m glad you are helping keep the manual transmission alive!

Quote:
OK, I looked up in the manual:

* Change rear axle/differential fluid: every 45K miles
* Change manual transmission fluid: every 45K miles
* Change clutch fluid: every 5 years
* Change brake fluid: every 5 years
Awesome info! Thank you so much!

Old 11-01-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
Summit20171SS

How do you actually change the clutch fluid?

Old 11-15-2023, 11:11 PM   #6
Plasar

Good question, I wondered this too.

“The good engineers at GM still decided to combine the brake and clutch fluid together just like the 5th gen.”

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569219
Old 11-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #7
Plasar

Also DYI instructions:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244
Old 11-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
Summit20171SS

Quote:
Good question, I wondered this too.

“The good engineers at GM still decided to combine the brake and clutch fluid together just like the 5th gen.”

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569219
Quote:
Awesome ! Thank you!

Old 11-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Great information. The TR6060 trans is awesome, but to make it stronger vs the 56 trans, the syncro packs are much smaller (allows bigger / wider gears), this double whammy means less syncro for bigger gears, so outside what is needed for say a road race, don't be down shifting this bad boy to slow down because:

A) that's what brakes are for
b) you are spinning up much bigger gears at much high RPM which is BAD for a limited syncro trans
c) it makes no sense to down shift to slow down from speed despite what you see on some movies, especially on the street.
d) if you are road racing and using rev match, just be a little gentler on the down shifts after hard braking into a tight turn, usually you have more time than you think before you need to put the power back on.... or get a Miata with the tinker toy trans and then you can downshift all you like

I live on the world's highest / larges volcano and sure I put it into lower gear for long declines, but this is at relatively low engine and transmission speeds.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:34 PM   #10
ralfabco

Drives: Jeep, Wrangler
Just picked up a new car early this month. Have just over 50 miles on the odometer with light easy driving. I have been doing almost everything wrong and downshifting at almost every opportunity. Trying to barely touch the brakes.
ralfabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:11 AM   #11
Summit20171SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Great information. The TR6060 trans is awesome, but to make it stronger vs the 56 trans, the syncro packs are much smaller (allows bigger / wider gears), this double whammy means less syncro for bigger gears, so outside what is needed for say a road race, don't be down shifting this bad boy to slow down because:

A) that's what brakes are for
b) you are spinning up much bigger gears at much high RPM which is BAD for a limited syncro trans
c) it makes no sense to down shift to slow down from speed despite what you see on some movies, especially on the street.
d) if you are road racing and using rev match, just be a little gentler on the down shifts after hard braking into a tight turn, usually you have more time than you think before you need to put the power back on.... or get a Miata with the tinker toy trans and then you can downshift all you like

I live on the world's highest / larges volcano and sure I put it into lower gear for long declines, but this is at relatively low engine and transmission speeds.
Ive been trying to do this most of the time

Old 11-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #12
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
This is the first time I've had "Active Rev Match" in any vehicle.

I believe it actually lessens the wear on the transmission *when downshifting is necessary, correct? Basically, it's helping you match road speed to engine speed more accurately with your gear selection. At least that's the way it works in an unsynchronized truck transmission. When road and engine speed match, the lever just slides into gear for a perfect shift, no clutch needed. It's a little harder to do in these smaller transmissions, but can be done just the same.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #13
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
This is the first time I've had "Active Rev Match" in any vehicle.

I believe it actually lessens the wear on the transmission *when downshifting is necessary, correct? Basically, it's helping you match road speed to engine speed more accurately with your gear selection. At least that's the way it works in an unsynchronized truck transmission. When road and engine speed match, the lever just slides into gear for a perfect shift, no clutch needed. It's a little harder to do in these smaller transmissions, but can be done just the same.

Essentially that's what it's doing. I'm not sure how sophisticated it is. Seems to just goose the throttle when the clutch is pressed. Sounds kinda cool with NPP.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:43 PM   #14
Plasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
When road and engine speed match, the lever just slides into gear for a perfect shift, no clutch needed. It's a little harder to do in these smaller transmissions, but can be done just the same.
You are not proposing shifting your Camaro without clutching, are you???

There IS a «*No Lift Shift*» feature, there IS NOT a «*No Clutch Shift*» feature.