Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Rear Seat Delete + Child Seat

First and foremost -- no this is not a performance mod!

The goal is to be able to shift the carseat back further to give more legroom for my wife in the passenger seat.

I'm thinking it's not a safety concern since the carseat literally snaps into the carseat specific clasps, they don't go away when the seat is removed.

So I'm wondering if anyone has contemplated this or has any advice or reasons why this could be dangerous?

I would not attempt this if I did not absolutely believe it to be safe for my daughter.

I'm just trying to gain a few more inches

No one else sits back there.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I'd be interested in the answer to this as well.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
It actually works against you. If edge of car seat is flush w front of seat, legs hang down, very little space used.

Where if seat is further back, so legs are at an angle and eating into rear "leg" room.

I have pair of recaro ProSports in back were edge of seat is nearly flush w edge of camaro seat, so even w 9 and 7 yr old (65/55 lbs), their feet/legs hang down nearly vertical, allowing for plenty of front seat room, for us anyway.

It's more pain getting in/out since seat belt does not have tether to the seat like some cars.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
In for the replies.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Yes, its dirty Yes, the seats are big, rated to 85 lbs IIRC. They are full 5-point harness style.

On longer trips, I will slide by seat forward so they have more foot room.

50% of time its 1 mile to school. Just have to remember to remind him to lift his legs up before seats goes into Exit mode when you shut car off.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
I think some of you are missing the point of the thread. It's for a children's seat WITH A REAR SEAT DELETE KIT.

I honestly dont think it would work well, as you compress the cushion when you strap down the car seat. I think this aids in comfort and stability. You wouldnt be able to compress anything under the car seat if you had a rear seat delete

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
My guess is the seat(or seat with base)will be sliding around. I've never actually pulled the rear seat to see what it looks like underneath, but I don't think it would work very well.

I'm in for updates.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
I would bet the designers of car seats are counting on the padding being there from auto seats.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

When properly tightened, the child seat does NOT move, it partly compresses the seat cushion. Seats themselves are well cushioned/padded as I imagine you woudl not want you butt on slab of plastic bouncing around on poorly secured seat counting on OE seat cushion to be the damper.

Upside, its not hard to try it, seats pop into place like lego's. You can see GoonSquad ZL1 video for interior removal to get better idea how they come out.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
It actually works against you. If edge of car seat is flush w front of seat, legs hang down, very little space used.

Where if seat is further back, so legs are at an angle and eating into rear "leg" room.

I have pair of recaro ProSports in back were edge of seat is nearly flush w edge of camaro seat, so even w 9 and 7 yr old (65/55 lbs), their feet/legs hang down nearly vertical, allowing for plenty of front seat room, for us anyway.

It's more pain getting in/out since seat belt does not have tether to the seat like some cars.
I totally get what you're saying. My daughter is almost 3 and her legs aren't long enough that this would be an issue. Also I've never owned a car longer than 2 years so I don't see it as a long term issue either.

But I agree, this is good input for those interested for older kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I think some of you are missing the point of the thread. It's for a children's seat WITH A REAR SEAT DELETE KIT.

I honestly dont think it would work well, as you compress the cushion when you strap down the car seat. I think this aids in comfort and stability. You wouldnt be able to compress anything under the car seat if you had a rear seat delete
I would use a rear-seat-delete kit which includes some carpeting.
I also intended to fold a soft blanket under the carseat to allow for compression to lock in the seat. I feel like this would work well. As for bumps, her carseat is extremely well padded.

Quote:
When properly tightened, the child seat does NOT move, it partly compresses the seat cushion. Seats themselves are well cushioned/padded as I imagine you woudl not want you butt on slab of plastic bouncing around on poorly secured seat counting on OE seat cushion to be the damper.

Upside, its not hard to try it, seats pop into place like lego's. You can see GoonSquad ZL1 video for interior removal to get better idea how they come out.
I agree it's worth a shot.
I trust my safety judgement, I would not risk my daughter.

The only risk is if I buy the rear-seat-delete kit.
Perhaps try it with a blanket first and if it looks promising then go for the kit.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
I wouldn't risk my daughter to do this. I would think the seats give some impact padding as well, not just comfort.
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Here is the problem. If in a accident and your daughter is injured the police officer will write in the report about the misuse of the seat. as not secured in a proper seat, you will receive a summons for this and the insurance company will refuse to pay for the injury's. Also if another vehicle is involved the Law Suit frenzy will commence.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Yes, its dirty Yes, the seats are big, rated to 85 lbs IIRC. They are full 5-point harness style.

On longer trips, I will slide by seat forward so they have more foot room.

50% of time its 1 mile to school. Just have to remember to remind him to lift his legs up before seats goes into Exit mode when you shut car off.
Round of applause!

Cause THAT takes dedication to want to have car seats back there lol
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote